Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 86

Thread: Ridge backpedals on pressure to raise terror alert level

  1. #51
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Masschusetts
    Last Seen
    03-01-14 @ 10:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,512

    Re: Ridge backpedals on pressure to raise terror alert level

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    As Tom Ridge said, he was "musing", not accusing.

    But don't let that fact derail your baseless assertions.
    dictionary: musing - Ask.com Search
    Definitions of 'muse'
    (myōōz)
    Dictionary.com · The American Heritage® Dictionary

    [Middle English musen, from Old French muser (possibly from mus, snout) (from Medieval Latin mūsum), or of Germanic origin.]
    (verb: mused, mus·ing, mus·es.)

    (intransitive verb)

    To be absorbed in one's thoughts; engage in meditation.

    (transitive verb)

    To consider or say thoughtfully: mused that it might take longer to drive than walk.

    (noun)

    A state of meditation.




    So you admit that Ridge was thinking political considerations was a possibility?

  2. #52
    Too big to fail
    niftydrifty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Seen
    03-03-16 @ 03:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,725

    Re: Ridge backpedals on pressure to raise terror alert level

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    As Tom Ridge said, he was "musing", not accusing.

    But don't let that fact derail your baseless assertions.
    He has said that he "mused" about it, and then he later said he had never had those kinds of thoughts! credibility: gone.
    http://www.debatepolitics.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3227&dateline=1247527  127

  3. #53
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Masschusetts
    Last Seen
    03-01-14 @ 10:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,512

    Re: Ridge backpedals on pressure to raise terror alert level

    Quote Originally Posted by niftydrifty View Post
    He has said that he "mused" about it, and then he later said he had never had those kinds of thoughts! credibility: gone.
    His failure to answer my above question is all we need to know. He has conceded.

  4. #54
    Too big to fail
    niftydrifty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Seen
    03-03-16 @ 03:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,725

    Re: Ridge backpedals on pressure to raise terror alert level

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    His failure to answer my above question is all we need to know. He has conceded.
    "lololololololololol" ... translation = "la la la la, I'm not listening"
    http://www.debatepolitics.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3227&dateline=1247527  127

  5. #55
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Masschusetts
    Last Seen
    03-01-14 @ 10:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,512

    Re: Ridge backpedals on pressure to raise terror alert level

    I guess being forced to watch Tom Ridge send up a barrage of BS to try to say ...."Don't listen to my truthful words in the book.....Listen to my lies NOW"...was too much for you apologists to bare anymore.
    No more defending the undefendeable anymore?

  6. #56
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:30 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,499

    Re: Ridge backpedals on pressure to raise terror alert level

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    After watching both the Mathews & Maddow interviews with Mr. Ridge, I can't imagine how anyone could seriously argue against the following:

    1. That Mr. Ridge, by his own admission in his book (& corroborated as his words), was wondering if politics.....not concern over national security was the real motivation for some members of those meetings to recommend raising the threat level.
    2. That Mr. Ridge has no way of knowing, either then or now, what was going through the minds of some (Rumsfeld & Ashcroft) as to why they recommended raising the threat level. Politics may well have been their motivation. Only they know for sure, not Mr. Ridge.
    3. The fact that the threat levels were not raised, in no way negates the (possibly politically motivated) attempts to raise them. (it would be like a bank robber, thwarted by his gun jamming, using as a defense that he didn't actually succeed in getting any money from the bank & therefore no crime was committed)
    4. Therefore, Mr. Ridge was in fact concerned that Bush administration personnel may have been trying to use their Executive Branch positions to effect an election, which is a criminal violation of U.S.law.

    IMO, this matter warrants further investigation to determine if any laws were broken.
    Seems perfectly apparent that Ridge wondered at the time if other people's reasons for raising the threat level were politically motivated.

    Accepting that as fact, that Ridge wondered this, now what?
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  7. #57
    Sage
    mpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Milford, CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,769

    Re: Ridge backpedals on pressure to raise terror alert level

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    Makes no sense that they (publishers) would risk a law suit & anger their author by misrepresenting his book & where is Mr. Ridge's anger & law suit at them for putting words into his mouth?

    No...the simple truth is that he says one thing in his book & now says another. He was either lying then or he is now. (I think the obvious answer is NOW)

    YouTube - Escena - Testigo de cargo (1958)
    You've repeatedly made claims about what the book says. If it turns out that the book doesn't say what you claim it says, will you admit that YOU were lying?
    If you expect people to be rational, you aren't being rational.

  8. #58
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Masschusetts
    Last Seen
    03-01-14 @ 10:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,512

    Re: Ridge backpedals on pressure to raise terror alert level

    Quote Originally Posted by mpg View Post
    You've repeatedly made claims about what the book says. If it turns out that the book doesn't say what you claim it says, will you admit that YOU were lying?
    Watch the interviews available on this thread. Ridge was quoted exactly & speaks live to Matthews & Maddow.
    How about YOU admitting you were wrong?

  9. #59
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Masschusetts
    Last Seen
    03-01-14 @ 10:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,512

    Re: Ridge backpedals on pressure to raise terror alert level

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Seems perfectly apparent that Ridge wondered at the time if other people's reasons for raising the threat level were politically motivated.

    Accepting that as fact, that Ridge wondered this, now what?
    What it points out is just how corrupt the Bush administration was & how even their loyal insiders wondered if things weren't being done for political purposes, rather than national security reasons, which happens to be a criminal act. You cannot use your official (exec. Branch) position to effect elections in this country. (even recommending the national threat level be raised....for political reasons would be a felony) Many people in Nixon's WH went to federal prison for doing just that.......& hopefully...so will some Bushies.

    In other words, Ridge was wondering if he was witnessing a criminal act at some of those meetings. Hardly a trivial matter!
    Last edited by Devil505; 09-03-09 at 08:43 PM.

  10. #60
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:30 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,499

    Re: Ridge backpedals on pressure to raise terror alert level

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    What it points out is just how corrupt the Bush administration was & how even their loyal insiders wondered if things weren't being done for political purposes, rather than national security reasons, which happens to be a criminal act. You cannot use your official (exec. Branch) position to effect elections in this country. That's a felony & many people in Nixon's WH went to federal prison for doing just that.......& hopefully...so will some Bushies.

    In other words, Ridge was wondering if he was witnessing a criminal act at some of those meetings. Hardly a trivial matter!
    All it says was that at the time, Ridge wondered about their motivations.

    Now, I know that for YOU, all Republicans are automatically guilty of every possible crime until they prove they're not.

    But in the real world where there needs to be actual evidence of things, one guy wondering about the motivations of others amounts to . . . why, nothing. Nothing in the slightest. Not even an iota of a smidgen. Especially when . . . nothing happened.

    Ridge says it crossed his mind. He now says everyone is making way, way, way too much of it. I don't see the inconsistency.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •