Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 86

Thread: Ridge backpedals on pressure to raise terror alert level

  1. #41
    Sage
    akyron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    01-13-18 @ 03:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,547

    Re: Ridge backpedals on pressure to raise terror alert level

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Fair enough, but why was there only three or four after the election until Bush left office? There were something like 6 or 7 leading up the election and only a handful after. That would imply there were not threats after the election despite the US being no more safer than it was before the election. That terrorists were no longer coming after us after the election or that we stopped looking. I find that INCREDIBLY difficult to believe.

    Furthermore, I stopped trusting anything that came out of the Bush administration a long time ago. Just because they say they never did it doesn't mean squat to me, especially after Rummy stated on record his job was to manipulate and lie to the press.
    The question appears to have been answered already. With the primary intention to disrupt the election it would be logical that after the election was over the attacks would lessen. At least until another objective would be put in place if the operation was organized.

    For example:

    NATO deaths in Afghanistan hit new high

    "Four U.S. servicemen were killed by a roadside bomb in Afghanistan on Tuesday, making 2009 the deadliest year for the growing contingent of foreign troops since the overthrow of the Taliban in 2001.

    The deaths highlighted the steadily worsening violence in the country, which has been in political limbo since a disputed presidential election last week.

    The election has also been a test of President Barack Obama's strategy of rushing thousands of extra U.S. troops to the country this year in a bid to reverse Taliban gains."
    Thank you

  2. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Masschusetts
    Last Seen
    03-01-14 @ 10:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,512

    Re: Ridge backpedals on pressure to raise terror alert level

    Here's the Chris Matthews interview with Tom Ridge:
    (Matthews takes direct quotes from Ridge's book & asks Ridge about them)

    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH5LSG8OMbY"]YouTube - Chris Matthews Interviews Tom Ridge on Terror Alerts, New Book[/ame]

  3. #43
    Dangerous Spinmaster
    RightOfCenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Last Seen
    04-14-12 @ 04:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,736

    Re: Ridge backpedals on pressure to raise terror alert level

    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oykPN0bzu30"]YouTube - Rachel Maddow Interviews Tom Ridge On Politicizing Terror Level[/ame]
    Quote Originally Posted by SWM
    I never thought infanticide could be so delicious.

  4. #44
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Ridge backpedals on pressure to raise terror alert level

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Fair enough, but why was there only three or four after the election until Bush left office? There were something like 6 or 7 leading up the election and only a handful after. That would imply there were not threats after the election despite the US being no more safer than it was before the election. That terrorists were no longer coming after us after the election or that we stopped looking. I find that INCREDIBLY difficult to believe.
    You've mentioned this a couple of times, but I don't know where you're getting it. Neither of those links you provided talked about (or even gave us links to) the list of terror alerts past 2004.

    Here's what I found:

    Homeland Security Advisory System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    If you look at the actual changes in the threat level, there doesn't appear to be much of, if any, difference in terms of frequency between the two terms.

    I very much doubt you can draw any conclusions based on that alone.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  5. #45
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Ridge backpedals on pressure to raise terror alert level

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    It's not nonsense, it's the truth. The media, as well as every liberal on the internet ran with this BS story, waving around as the proof against Bush they had been waiting for. All they had to do, was take 2 seconds to actually read what the man said like I did, and they would have seen that he wasn't accusing anyone.
    Point the fingers at the publishers who apparently fabricated things to make a profit.

    So why do you suppose all the libs completely misinterpreted what he wrote? It's easy... Because they were blinded by hate, and they didn't want to know the truth.
    Yes, because this is a phenomenon exclusive to Liberals.

    I'm sorry if the facts about your people upset you... I suggest you hang with a more honest bunch that doesn't use hatred as their guiding force.
    You do know that "Liberal" and "Libertarian" are not the same thing, right?
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  6. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Masschusetts
    Last Seen
    03-01-14 @ 10:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,512

    Re: Ridge backpedals on pressure to raise terror alert level

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    Point the fingers at the publishers who apparently fabricated things to make a profit.
    Makes no sense that they (publishers) would risk a law suit & anger their author by misrepresenting his book & where is Mr. Ridge's anger & law suit at them for putting words into his mouth?

    No...the simple truth is that he says one thing in his book & now says another. He was either lying then or he is now. (I think the obvious answer is NOW)

    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op3zA9XaUKQ"]YouTube - Escena - Testigo de cargo (1958)[/ame]
    Last edited by Devil505; 09-03-09 at 08:10 AM.

  7. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Masschusetts
    Last Seen
    03-01-14 @ 10:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,512

    Re: Ridge backpedals on pressure to raise terror alert level

    After watching both the Mathews & Maddow interviews with Mr. Ridge, I can't imagine how anyone could seriously argue against the following:

    1. That Mr. Ridge, by his own admission in his book (& corroborated as his words), was wondering if politics.....not concern over national security was the real motivation for some members of those meetings to recommend raising the threat level.
    2. That Mr. Ridge has no way of knowing, either then or now, what was going through the minds of some (Rumsfeld & Ashcroft) as to why they recommended raising the threat level. Politics may well have been their motivation. Only they know for sure, not Mr. Ridge.
    3. The fact that the threat levels were not raised, in no way negates the (possibly politically motivated) attempts to raise them. (it would be like a bank robber, thwarted by his gun jamming, using as a defense that he didn't actually succeed in getting any money from the bank & therefore no crime was committed)
    4. Therefore, Mr. Ridge was in fact concerned that Bush administration personnel may have been trying to use their Executive Branch positions to effect an election, which is a criminal violation of U.S.law.

    IMO, this matter warrants further investigation to determine if any laws were broken.
    Last edited by Devil505; 09-03-09 at 10:29 AM.

  8. #48
    Battle Ready
    Grim17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern U.S.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,231
    Blog Entries
    20

    Re: Ridge backpedals on pressure to raise terror alert level

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    After watching both the Mathews & Maddow interviews with Mr. Ridge, I can't imagine how anyone could seriously argue against the following:

    1. That Mr. Ridge, by his own admission in his book (& corroborated as his words), was wondering if politics.....not concern over national security was the real motivation for some members of those meetings to recommend raising the threat level.
    2. That Mr. Ridge has no way of knowing, either then or now, what was going through the minds of some (Rumsfeld & Ashcroft) as to why they recommended raising the threat level. Politics may well have been their motivation. Only they know for sure, not Mr. Ridge.
    3. The fact that the threat levels were not raised, in no way negates the (possibly politically motivated) attempts to raise them. (it would be like a bank robber, thwarted by his gun jamming, using as a defense that he didn't actually succeed in getting any money from the bank & therefore no crime was committed)
    4. Therefore, Mr. Ridge was in fact concerned that Bush administration personnel may have been trying to use their Executive Branch positions to effect an election, which is a criminal violation of U.S.law.

    IMO, this matter warrants further investigation to determine if any laws were broken.
    You just keep pushing your hate fantasy. Now that Ridge has shot down your assertions, you still think it's real.

    lololololololololol

    .

  9. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Masschusetts
    Last Seen
    03-01-14 @ 10:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,512

    Re: Ridge backpedals on pressure to raise terror alert level

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    You just keep pushing your hate fantasy. Now that Ridge has shot down your assertions, you still think it's real.

    lololololololololol

    .
    Simply pretending that Ridge wasn't concerned about his perceived politicization of our national security doesn't make it so.
    Last edited by Devil505; 09-03-09 at 12:33 PM.

  10. #50
    Battle Ready
    Grim17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern U.S.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,231
    Blog Entries
    20

    Re: Ridge backpedals on pressure to raise terror alert level

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    Simply pretending that Ridge wasn't concerned about his perceived politicization of our national security doesn't make it so.
    As Tom Ridge said, he was "musing", not accusing.

    But don't let that fact derail your baseless assertions.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •