Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 86

Thread: Ridge backpedals on pressure to raise terror alert level

  1. #21
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Ridge backpedals on pressure to raise terror alert level

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    Can you try to cut the hyper partisan nonsense? The media will spin anything to make a buck. Anything.
    Exactly - this wasn't so much the "hate-driven left" as it was the "profit-driven book publisher"
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  2. #22
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Ridge backpedals on pressure to raise terror alert level

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Food for Thought:

    http://www.uiowa.edu/~grpproc/crisp/crisp10_1.pdf



    B and B: Politicization of terror alerts

    While this is hardly conclusive evidence by any measure, it is extremely sketchy that there was no monkey business when there was a significently disproportionate number of alerts leading up to the Nov 2004 election with very few following it in the following years. Bush not leaving office means we're more safe when Bush was in office? That makes no sense.

    I can't seem to find the raw data though. Anyone have the complete list of terror alerts?
    Wtf is this person on about?

    But take away the data about approval ratings and simply examine the timeline of terror alerts. This shows that , come summer of 2004, in the run-up to the Presidential election, the frequency of terror alerts dramatically increased. In my view, this is an illustration (though of course it does not prove) that Bush indeed used terror alerts politically. Not to boost sagging approval ratings, but to maintain a climate of fear in this country, since fearful people rally around their leaders, no matter who they happen to be.
    Terror alerts occurred with increasing frequency as we approached the first presidential election since 9/11, and the only reason that this writer can possibly fathom for why this happened is a desire to maintain a climate of fear? Seriously? This is just embarrassingly bad logic.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  3. #23
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Ridge backpedals on pressure to raise terror alert level

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Terror alerts occurred with increasing frequency as we approached the first presidential election since 9/11, and the only reason that this writer can possibly fathom for why this happened is a desire to maintain a climate of fear? Seriously? This is just embarrassingly bad logic.
    Not necessarily, especially when you compare them to the terror alerts in the years following 2004. Even if he's not correct about the reason for fear in particular, it is exceptionally fishy that there was a significant spike leading up to the election and then for the next couple years only a handful of alerts petering out to the point few can remember any after 2004. Furthermore, as the study I posted shows, every alert does cause an increase in approval.

    What's your argument for why there was a significant spike prior to the election and then virtually nothing after? I find it exceptionally hard to believe that terrorists just stopped planning things after the election and we stopped looking for them. We were no more safer in the summer of 2004 then we were in the winter of 2005.

    And coming from an administration which had no problems with using falsehoods in its justifications (especially after Rummy's statement where he admitted part of his job was to lie to the press), it does logically conclude that there was politicization of the alerts.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  4. #24
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,945
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Ridge backpedals on pressure to raise terror alert level

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    Gee... I hate to say "I told you so", but...
    It seems the article you used in the OP commits the same sin of sensationalism.
    One can't exactly 'backpedal' from something that hasn't actually been said in the 1st place.

    It is important to remember what axe almost all media and publishers have to grind--the drive to profit. These days, eyes mean money.
    I may be wrong.

  5. #25
    Dangerous Spinmaster
    RightOfCenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Last Seen
    04-14-12 @ 04:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,736

    Re: Ridge backpedals on pressure to raise terror alert level

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Not necessarily, especially when you compare them to the terror alerts in the years following 2004. Even if he's not correct about the reason for fear in particular, it is exceptionally fishy that there was a significant spike leading up to the election and then for the next couple years only a handful of alerts petering out to the point few can remember any after 2004. Furthermore, as the study I posted shows, every alert does cause an increase in approval.
    I have to tell ya, I can't remember any ever. The terror alert could have been on brown (that's the color for real ****ing bad, isn't it?) and I doubt anyone would have noticed.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWM
    I never thought infanticide could be so delicious.

  6. #26
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Ridge backpedals on pressure to raise terror alert level

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Not necessarily, especially when you compare them to the terror alerts in the years following 2004. Even if he's not correct about the reason for fear in particular, it is exceptionally fishy that there was a significant spike leading up to the election and then for the next couple years only a handful of alerts petering out to the point few can remember any after 2004. Furthermore, as the study I posted shows, every alert does cause an increase in approval.

    What's your argument for why there was a significant spike prior to the election and then virtually nothing after? I find it exceptionally hard to believe that terrorists just stopped planning things after the election and we stopped looking for them. We were no more safer in the summer of 2004 then we were in the winter of 2005.

    And coming from an administration which had no problems with using falsehoods in its justifications (especially after Rummy's statement where he admitted part of his job was to lie to the press), it does logically conclude that there was politicization of the alerts.
    From the original article:

    Bush's former homeland security adviser, Frances Townsend, told the Associated Press today that politics never played a role in determining alert levels. She noted that in the weeks before the electio two videotapes, including one from al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden, were released that she said contained "very graphic" and "threatening" messages.

    "Never were politics ever discussed in this context in my presence," she said.
    From an article in Dec. 2003:

    Terrorist logic is to disrupt the 2004 election | Oakland Tribune | Find Articles at BNET

    Terrorist logic is to disrupt the 2004 election

    We can't know whether terrorists will strike during the coming presidential campaign, the first since the beginning of the war on terrorism. But the recent terrorist bombings in Istanbul, which took more than 50 lives, make it easier to imagine something similar happening here again. And history suggests that striking during major elections is an effective terrorist tool. It suggests that the way in which we respond will determine whether we're capable of winning this war.

    Recently, I co-chaired a meeting hosted by CNBC of more than 200 senior business and government executives, many of them specialists in security and terrorism-related issues. Almost three-quarters of them predicted the United States likely would see a major terrorist strike before the end of 2004. A similar number predicted the assault would be greater than those of 9-11, possibly involving weapons of mass destruction. It was the sense of the group that such an attack likely would generate additional support for President Bush.

    These are serious people, not prone to hysteria or panic -- military officers, policy-makers, scientists, researchers and others who have studied such issues for a long time. They know that in country after country, elections have held an irresistible lure for terrorists.

    From the terrorist perspective, attacking in an election year makes perfect sense. The objective of terrorism is not so much to strike a blow against a particular physical target as it is to strike a psychological blow against a target audience. Elections heighten the stakes because a blow during an election is a blow against a society's political foundations.
    In light of this, don't you think it's pretty obvious that we would see an increase in threats and corresponding alerts in the months leading up to the election? To me, this offers a perfectly reasonable explanation for why we saw an increasing number of alerts that dropped off after the election.

    If there's an obvious explanation in front of me, I'm not going to go out of my way to find a conspiracy.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  7. #27
    Sage
    mpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Milford, CT
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,769

    Re: Ridge backpedals on pressure to raise terror alert level

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    Can you try to cut the hyper partisan nonsense? The media will spin anything to make a buck. Anything.
    I agree with NYC about the publisher but sometimes the media buries huge/sensational stories. Compare the coverage that Anita Hill got with the coverage that Juanita Broadrick got.
    If you expect people to be rational, you aren't being rational.

  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Masschusetts
    Last Seen
    03-01-14 @ 10:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,512

    Re: Ridge backpedals on pressure to raise terror alert level

    Everyone knows that the Bush Admin politicized EVERYTHING they did/controlled so this is no revelation.
    From...starting un-called for wars to firing U.S. Attys for not going after Dems to using intelligence agencies for political reasons to.....You name it.
    It was a totally political & illegal administration.

    Full Stop...The End

  9. #29
    Battle Ready
    Grim17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern U.S.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,137
    Blog Entries
    20

    Re: Ridge backpedals on pressure to raise terror alert level

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    Can you try to cut the hyper partisan nonsense? The media will spin anything to make a buck. Anything.
    It's not nonsense, it's the truth. The media, as well as every liberal on the internet ran with this BS story, waving around as the proof against Bush they had been waiting for. All they had to do, was take 2 seconds to actually read what the man said like I did, and they would have seen that he wasn't accusing anyone.

    So why do you suppose all the libs completely misinterpreted what he wrote? It's easy... Because they were blinded by hate, and they didn't want to know the truth.

    I'm sorry if the facts about your people upset you... I suggest you hang with a more honest bunch that doesn't use hatred as their guiding force.

    .

  10. #30
    Battle Ready
    Grim17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern U.S.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,137
    Blog Entries
    20

    Re: Ridge backpedals on pressure to raise terror alert level

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    Everyone knows that the Bush Admin politicized EVERYTHING they did/controlled so this is no revelation.
    From...starting un-called for wars to firing U.S. Attys for not going after Dems to using intelligence agencies for political reasons to.....You name it.
    It was a totally political & illegal administration.

    Full Stop...The End
    A perfect example that fits well with my post above.

    .

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •