Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 322

Thread: Cheney: Obama Should Be Debriefing, Not Investigating

  1. #51
    Advisor Midwest Lib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    513

    Re: Cheney: Obama Should Be Debriefing, Not Investigating

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    And created millions of jobs in the process. Unfortunately for the Libbos, the environment didn't suffer from it.
    Link please (both for American jobs and for your evidence that these policies did no harm)

    For fun, here is my rebuttal if you believe for some reason that the burden of proof is on me.


    NRDC: The Bush Record


    EPA cracks down on coke plant pollution (03/31/05)

    States sue EPA over new mercury rule (03/29/05)

    White House weakens EPA cancer safeguards (03/29/05)

    BLM plans to open up protected desert land to recreation and development (03/24/05)

    Florida crocodiles to lose endangered status (03/24/05)

    Bush administration appeals mountaintop mining defeat (03/18/05)

    EPA inspector general to review hydraulic fracturing study (03/17/05)

    EPA weakens mercury reduction requirements for power plants (03/15/05)



    And that's just in one half of a month...

  2. #52
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Last Seen
    11-03-11 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,834

    Re: Cheney: Obama Should Be Debriefing, Not Investigating

    Quote Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
    LOL.... you are already setting the scene for the incompetence of this administration to be blamed on Bush.... you people are incredible.

    Just remember, the rest of the Country will…. No attacks for 8 years, good luck with your spin.

    Again I ask what are your qualifiers Crunch? No attacks for 8 years if you forget about the anthrax attacks, forget about the embassy bombing in Iraq and forget about our soldiers being attacked. Also forget that from September 11th, 2001 to January 20th, 2009 was under 8 years. Interesting metric of measurement you got going there.

    You know this is funny up until the day Bush left office people were blaming Clinton for all of Bush's failures. Then when the economy was going down they were complaining that Obama didn't change anything even though he didn't take office yet. Then now we're being told to forget about Bush even though for years people were obsessed with the Clenis.

  3. #53
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Past the edge of the universe, through the singularity, and out the other side.
    Last Seen
    09-01-10 @ 05:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,324

    Re: Cheney: Obama Should Be Debriefing, Not Investigating

    Quote Originally Posted by formerroadie View Post
    I think that those who have broken the law should be prosecuted. Cheney is one of those people.
    Which law would that be? The domestic and international definitions of torture are entirely subjective as both use the subjective qualifier of "severe" so in actuality ones definition of torture is left to their own personal opinion of what qualifies as severe. I don't consider things; such as, waterboarding as severe. There needs to be a set standard of what exactly is and is not permitted as interrogation techniques and until that happens no law could have been violated and seeing as we in the U.S. have a constitutional prohibition of ex post facto prosecution Cheney can not and never will be prosecuted for the treatment of detainees.

  4. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Masschusetts
    Last Seen
    03-01-14 @ 10:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,512

    Re: Cheney: Obama Should Be Debriefing, Not Investigating

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ferris View Post
    Which law would that be? The domestic and international definitions of torture are entirely subjective as both use the subjective qualifier of "severe" so in actuality ones definition of torture is left to their own personal opinion of what qualifies as severe. I don't consider things; such as, waterboarding as severe. There needs to be a set standard of what exactly is and is not permitted as interrogation techniques and until that happens no law could have been violated and seeing as we in the U.S. have a constitutional prohibition of ex post facto prosecution Cheney can not and never will be prosecuted for the treatment of detainees.
    IMO (& many others)......Dick Cheney is guilty of so many violations of U.S. law that I could spend the rest of the night listing them. From Restraint of Trade (Cheney Energy Task Force of 2001) to felony violations of the Hatch Act to..."Outing" a CIA agent in time of war....to Lying to Congress to.............On & On.
    The fact that he hasn't been officially charged with any crimes ...YET.... has more to do with the fact that he & Bush ran the government & could stop any investigation & the fact that Obama is very busy cleaning up Bush/Cheney's mess of the last 8 years.
    The fact that he hasn't been charged,....YET.....Is meaningless. The statute has many years yet to run.
    Last edited by Devil505; 08-31-09 at 08:27 PM.

  5. #55
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Past the edge of the universe, through the singularity, and out the other side.
    Last Seen
    09-01-10 @ 05:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,324

    Re: Cheney: Obama Should Be Debriefing, Not Investigating

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    IMO (& many others)......Dick Cheney is guilty of so many violations of U.S. law that I could spend the rest of the night listing them. From Restraint of Trade (Cheney Energy Task Force of 2001)
    Nobody knows what occurred during that meeting. Actually having a national energy policy for once isn't a crime.


    to felony violations of the Hatch Act to...
    Any evidence for Cheney directing federal employees to engage in political campaigns.


    "Outing" a CIA agent in time of war....
    Um no first the CIA "outed" Plame to the Cuban government through the Swiss embassy in Havana, then Joe Wilson outed his own wife when he was trying to get some credibility for his bull**** article about Nigerian uranium, a report which has since been proven completely false, and finally Richard Armitage outed her for no political reason what so ever.


    to Lying to Congress to
    Such as?

    .............On & On.
    The fact that he hasn't been officially charged with any crimes ...YET.... has more to do with the fact that he & Bush ran the government & could stop any investigation & the fact that Obama is very busy cleaning up Bush/Cheney's mess of the last 8 years.
    You mean steady economic growth and low unemployment rates? Ya Obama is certainly reversing on that policy and sending this country right down the toilet in the process. The democrats have controlled both Houses of Congress since 2006 and the Presidency for almost a year now. This is their mess, they own it.

    The fact that he hasn't been charged,....YET.....Is meaningless. The statute has many years yet to run.
    I was referring to the current topic. What law in relation to the alleged mistreatment of detainees has Cheney violated?
    Last edited by Agent Ferris; 08-31-09 at 08:52 PM.

  6. #56
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Last Seen
    11-03-11 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,834

    Re: Cheney: Obama Should Be Debriefing, Not Investigating

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ferris View Post
    Which law would that be? The domestic and international definitions of torture are entirely subjective as both use the subjective qualifier of "severe" so in actuality ones definition of torture is left to their own personal opinion of what qualifies as severe. I don't consider things; such as, waterboarding as severe. There needs to be a set standard of what exactly is and is not permitted as interrogation techniques and until that happens no law could have been violated and seeing as we in the U.S. have a constitutional prohibition of ex post facto prosecution Cheney can not and never will be prosecuted for the treatment of detainees.
    US Law: 113c § 2340
    As used in this chapter—
    (1) “torture” means an act committed by a person acting under the color of law specifically intended to inflict severe physical or mental pain or suffering (other than pain or suffering incidental to lawful sanctions) upon another person within his custody or physical control;
    (2) “severe mental pain or suffering” means the prolonged mental harm caused by or resulting from
    (A) the intentional infliction or threatened infliction of severe physical pain or suffering;
    (B) the administration or application, or threatened administration or application, of mind-altering substances or other procedures calculated to disrupt profoundly the senses or the personality;
    (C) the threat of imminent death; or
    (D) the threat that another person will imminently be subjected to death, severe physical pain or suffering, or the administration or application of mind-altering substances or other procedures calculated to disrupt profoundly the senses or personality; and
    (3) “United States” means the several States of the United States, the District of Columbia, and the commonwealths, territories, and possessions of the United States.
    Now waterboarding is torture. The threat of being drowned to death is very real. It tricks the body into the effects of drowning by building up carbon dioxide in the lungs. The person feels the effects of drowning. So yes that would fit the definition of C and D. Also we have prosecuted waterboarding in the US and abroad.

    To give you an example in 83 a texas sheriff, James Parker and his deputies were prosecuted for waterboaring suspects to get false confessions. US Assistant Attorney Scott Woodward stated: the prisoners who were subjected to waterboarding were not "model citizens," but they were still "victims" of torture.

    The sheriff and his deputies were convicted and sent to prison.

    Waterboarding is torture plain and simple. There's nothing subjective about it we've prosecuted it and have considered it to be torture. We prosecuted one of our own soldiers for doing it to a vietcong during the war and we prosecuted the japanese for doing it.

  7. #57
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Masschusetts
    Last Seen
    03-01-14 @ 10:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,512

    Re: Cheney: Obama Should Be Debriefing, Not Investigating

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ferris View Post
    Nobody knows what occurred during that meeting. Actually having a national energy policy for once isn't a crime.




    Any evidence for Cheney directing federal employees to engage in political campaigns.




    Um no first the CIA "outed" Plame to the Cuban government through the Swiss embassy in Havana, then Joe Wilson outed his own wife when he was trying to get some credibility for his bull**** article about Nigerian uranium, a report which has since been proven completely false, and finally Richard Armitage outed her for no political reason what so ever.




    Such as?



    You mean steady economic growth and low unemployment rates? Ya Obama is certainly reversing on that policy and sending this country right down the toilet in the process. This is Obama's mess he owns it.



    I was referring to the current topic. What law in relation to the alleged mistreatment of detainees has Cheney violated?
    Ah....You are now asking me to PROVE my case without benefit of a thorough investigation to uncover the facts. The fact is that Cheney was able to quash any such investigation for 8 years & is now crying like a baby when it looks like those investigations will go forward & undoubtedly uncover enough evidence to (literally) hang him.

    Little wonder he is screaming his head off!
    Last edited by Devil505; 08-31-09 at 08:56 PM.

  8. #58
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Last Seen
    11-03-11 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,834

    Re: Cheney: Obama Should Be Debriefing, Not Investigating

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ferris View Post
    Um no first the CIA "outed" Plame to the Cuban government through the Swiss embassy in Havana, then Joe Wilson outed his own wife when he was trying to get some credibility for his bull**** article about Nigerian uranium, a report which has since been proven completely false, and finally Richard Armitage outed her for no political reason what so ever.
    Do you have information regarding the "CIA outing plame to the cuban government" as you claim?

  9. #59
    Guru
    Crunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    12-21-10 @ 05:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,063

    Re: Cheney: Obama Should Be Debriefing, Not Investigating

    Quote Originally Posted by PogueMoran View Post
    Again I ask what are your qualifiers Crunch? No attacks for 8 years if you forget about the anthrax attacks, forget about the embassy bombing in Iraq and forget about our soldiers being attacked. Also forget that from September 11th, 2001 to January 20th, 2009 was under 8 years. Interesting metric of measurement you got going there.
    Nice try.... you know damned well we are always talking about attacks on civilians on US soil.... but it was a nice try.

    You know this is funny up until the day Bush left office people were blaming Clinton for all of Bush's failures. Then when the economy was going down they were complaining that Obama didn't change anything even though he didn't take office yet. Then now we're being told to forget about Bush even though for years people were obsessed with the Clenis.

  10. #60
    Guru
    repeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: Cheney: Obama Should Be Debriefing, Not Investigating

    Quote Originally Posted by PogueMoran View Post
    Do you have information regarding the "CIA outing plame to the cuban government" as you claim?
    Let me answer for him, "I do not recall."
    Veni. Vidi. Vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar
    The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •