Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 38

Thread: Bill would give president emergency control of Internet

  1. #11
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Bill would give president emergency control of Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    It sounds to me like the president can declare an emergency whenever he wants. Is there any oversight to this? Can Congress overrule him? Do certain conditions have to be met before he can declare an emergency? If the answer to any of those questions is no, this is a terrible idea.
    You have a better option for protection against attacks using the internet or against our network infrastructure? There are similar plans that the president can use in other areas, why is this different?

  2. #12
    Student JakeFromWI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Stevens Point, WI
    Last Seen
    10-13-10 @ 05:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    282

    Re: Bill would give president emergency control of Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    It sounds to me like the president can declare an emergency whenever he wants. Is there any oversight to this? Can Congress overrule him? Do certain conditions have to be met before he can declare an emergency? If the answer to any of those questions is no, this is a terrible idea.
    Here. I will answer your questions for you, since you are to lazy to look up the legislation...

    Cyber Security Act of 2009.

    Quick being so "scared" and dismissive of facts before you make assumptions. Educate yourself.

    Also, see if Marshall Law meets any of your prerequisites, or emergency take over of television, or emergency takeover of radio, highways, etc.

    Better yet tell me what prerequisites, like um, a warrant, were needed to wiretap my phone calls.

    This is a Homeland Security matter that should be strongly considered. If you want to protect the government's network infrastructure anyway.

    Unless of course, you'd rather buy a futon on Walmart.com instead of allow the government to have a secure network in case of cyber attack emergencies.
    and so it goes...

  3. #13
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Bill would give president emergency control of Internet

    "Internet" is such a power word these days. Oh noz, they are going to have the power to shut down certain parts of the internets in case of attack, it's a conspiracy!

  4. #14
    Educator ronpaulvoter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Seen
    07-18-16 @ 04:25 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    627

    fyi Re: Bill would give president emergency control of Internet

    HELL NO!!!!

    Censorship of the people's voice is unconstitutional.

  5. #15
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Bill would give president emergency control of Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by JakeFromWI View Post
    Here. I will answer your questions for you, since you are to lazy to look up the legislation...

    Cyber Security Act of 2009.
    Do you realize that just saying you are going to answer the questions isn't enough? You have to actually do it.

    Quote Originally Posted by JakeFromWI
    Quick being so "scared" and dismissive of facts before you make assumptions. Educate yourself.

    Also, see if Marshall Law meets any of your prerequisites, or emergency take over of television, or emergency takeover of radio, highways, etc.
    The government should not be taking over television or radio either. Highways were designed with the military in mind, and the government has always reserved the right to use those to move military equipment should the need ever arise. I don't really have a problem with that.

    Quote Originally Posted by JakeFromWI
    Better yet tell me what prerequisites, like um, a warrant, were needed to wiretap my phone calls.
    A warrant *is* needed to wiretap your phone calls. In case you forgot, that was kind of a big scandal.

    Quote Originally Posted by JakeFromWI
    This is a Homeland Security matter that should be strongly considered. If you want to protect the government's network infrastructure anyway.
    We don't need a government takeover of the internet which the president can authorize whenever he feels like it. There are other, more effective, less draconian ways to improve network security.

    Quote Originally Posted by JakeFromWI
    Unless of course, you'd rather buy a futon on Walmart.com instead of allow the government to have a secure network in case of cyber attack emergencies.
    What?
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  6. #16
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Bill would give president emergency control of Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    You have a better option for protection against attacks using the internet or against our network infrastructure? There are similar plans that the president can use in other areas, why is this different?
    I would think that if there was a threat to government computers then they can simply unplug or turn off the internet connection to those computers.
    Last edited by jamesrage; 08-29-09 at 06:56 PM.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  7. #17
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Bill would give president emergency control of Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    I would think that if there was a threat to government computers then they can simply unplug or turn off the internet connection to those computers.
    I do not think it is as simple as that, though I admit to being no expert on the topic.

  8. #18
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Bill would give president emergency control of Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I do not think it is as simple as that, though I admit to being no expert on the topic.
    How hard is to call some techies or network administrators and say unplug the internet connection to those servers that the vital government computers are hooked up to or in a drastic case take a pair of wire cutters or shut the power off to those buildings that have the government computers? If those computers have no internet connection then the outside threat is no longer a problem.
    Last edited by jamesrage; 08-29-09 at 07:26 PM.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  9. #19
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,360

    Re: Bill would give president emergency control of Internet

    The problem, as I see it, is that this will allow the exectutive branch to declare an "emergency", shut down the internet, then for, "security reasons", not tell us what that emergency actually is. The White House doesn't need to pass a bill to control incoming and out going internet connections to government facilities.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #20
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Bill would give president emergency control of Internet

    Some folks are way too paranoid. Just Saying
    ~Following My Own Flow~

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •