Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 40

Thread: Race Enters Atlanta Mayoral Vote

  1. #11
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Race Enters Atlanta Mayoral Vote

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    That is pretty bigoted and untrue.
    I don't know:

    ATLANTA -- The campaign for mayor of this city, which has long promoted its racial tolerance, veered into controversy Thursday with the release of a memo urging white voters to unite around a white candidate and block the election of a black mayor.

    A local group known as the White Leadership Forum called for Caucasians to consolidate their support around Lisa Borders, president of the Atlanta City Council and one of several white candidates, according to a memo circulated on the Web and to local media.
    "For the last 25 years Atlanta has represented the breakthrough for white political empowerment in the South," read the memo. "In order to defeat a Norwood (black) mayoral candidacy we have to get out now and work in a manner to defeat her without a runoff, and the key is a significant white turnout."
    Mr. Turpeau, who contributed $500 to Ms. Borders' campaign, defended the memo's message.

    "You shouldn't vote solely on having a white candidate," he said. "You have to deal with the credentials and skill set first. After that, it's a feeling of pride that we've had for 35 years in this town. Ego gets important."
    Does it sound the same? Do you think if something like this got out, there would be much larger outrage? Maybe a little Jessie Jackson or Al Sharpton action? I think the double standard is there. On either front I wouldn't care so long as they weren't dealing with voter intimidation or other illegal means. But on the whole, do you think the two would be treated equally? I actually don't think so.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #12
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,513

    Re: Race Enters Atlanta Mayoral Vote

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I don't know:

    Does it sound the same? Do you think if something like this got out, there would be much larger outrage? Maybe a little Jessie Jackson or Al Sharpton action? I think the double standard is there. On either front I wouldn't care so long as they weren't dealing with voter intimidation or other illegal means. But on the whole, do you think the two would be treated equally? I actually don't think so.
    None of that has anything to do with the voting. He was talking about actual voting. And yes it is bigoted as no one is telling white people how they must vote.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  3. #13
    Professor
    OxymoronP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Heart in Brooklyn, body South of Dixie
    Last Seen
    08-23-10 @ 11:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,175

    Re: Race Enters Atlanta Mayoral Vote

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    None of that has anything to do with the voting. He was talking about actual voting. And yes it is bigoted as no one is telling white people how they must vote.
    **** that ****, racism is racism and now its mostly white people on the recieving end.


    THE GREATEST FREEDOM IS THE FREEDOM TO OPPRESS OTHERS

  4. #14
    Walk with me in hell.
    stekim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    09-21-10 @ 12:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,106

    Re: Race Enters Atlanta Mayoral Vote

    Atlanta may love to "promote" its racial tolerance, but it's a total load of crap. Like Washington promoting bi-partisanship. It's all talk. The race divide is palpable.
    Wow. Am I awesome or what?

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Race Enters Atlanta Mayoral Vote

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Race Enters Atlanta Mayoral Vote - WSJ.com

    You got to love race based politics and this Turpeau guy is a dip****.
    Having lived in the Atlanta area for three years, I don't find this as being out of the ordinary. Blacks have always tended to support their own candidates of color. I am not sure I see anything wrong with this unless there has been Government abuse in trying to manipulate the election process.

    Has there been anything illegal going on? Or you just don't like blacks supporting black candidates?

  6. #16
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: Race Enters Atlanta Mayoral Vote

    Quote Originally Posted by OxymoronP View Post
    **** that ****, racism is racism and now its mostly white people on the recieving end.
    Since when are whites more likely to be at the end of racism?
    I'd say ethnic minorities of all stripes are more likely


  7. #17
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Race Enters Atlanta Mayoral Vote

    the real housewives of atlanta......

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  8. #18
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Race Enters Atlanta Mayoral Vote

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    Having lived in the Atlanta area for three years, I don't find this as being out of the ordinary. Blacks have always tended to support their own candidates of color. I am not sure I see anything wrong with this unless there has been Government abuse in trying to manipulate the election process.

    Has there been anything illegal going on? Or you just don't like blacks supporting black candidates?
    This is the birthplace of Martin Luther King Jr.

    The guy who said we should measure the content of a persons character and not the color of their skin.
    A lot of these guys run off the fame of MLK.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  9. #19
    Professor
    OxymoronP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Heart in Brooklyn, body South of Dixie
    Last Seen
    08-23-10 @ 11:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,175

    Re: Race Enters Atlanta Mayoral Vote

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    Since when are whites more likely to be at the end of racism?
    I'd say ethnic minorities of all stripes are more likely
    That was true for a long while, but not any longer.


    THE GREATEST FREEDOM IS THE FREEDOM TO OPPRESS OTHERS

  10. #20
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: Race Enters Atlanta Mayoral Vote

    Quote Originally Posted by OxymoronP View Post
    That was true for a long while, but not any longer.
    .... because?

    Non whites do have it worse than whites when it comes to racism


Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •