Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 50

Thread: Richardson Probe 'Was Killed in Washington'

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Richardson Probe 'Was Killed in Washington'

    Quote Originally Posted by Glinda View Post
    Please. DeLay blew himself out of the water without any outside help.
    The facts do not support your desperate assertions; care to tell me what happened to the charges made against DeLay?

  2. #12
    You kids get off my lawn!
    Glinda's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    06-11-11 @ 02:01 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,716

    Re: Richardson Probe 'Was Killed in Washington'

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    The facts do not support your desperate assertions; care to tell me what happened to the charges made against DeLay?
    In the Blankenship/Albo case, DeLay settled out of court. You don't generally do that when you're squeaky clean and eager to defend your "honor" to the bitter end.

    His money-laundering indictment is still in pre-trial mode, due to politicization of Texas justice system and DeLay's countless appeals.

    Last edited by Glinda; 08-28-09 at 04:46 PM.

  3. #13
    Sage
    akyron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,434

    Re: Richardson Probe 'Was Killed in Washington'

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    And yet, nothing has uncovered and therefore we are just going to drop it?

    Mkay.
    If they are presumed innocent what else can they do without evidence?
    Thank you

  4. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Richardson Probe 'Was Killed in Washington'

    Quote Originally Posted by Glinda View Post
    In the Blankenship/Albo case, DeLay settled out of court. You don't generally do that when you're squeaky clean and eager to defend your "honor" to the bitter end.

    His money-laundering indictment is still in pre-trial mode, due to politicization of Texas justice system and DeLay's countless appeals.

    A couple of things here; are you asserting that the new standard is that someone is guilty because they settle out of court? That would be laughable at best; many settle OUT of court because it is easier than spending MORE defending oneself.

    Secondly; what does the Alpo case have to do with the false allegations that forced DeLay from office?

    DeLay in 1986 but filed a fraud suit against DeLay, another partner and Albo Pest Control Co. in 1994, after being terminated. DeLay reached a confidential, out-of-court settlement with Blankenship in 1995.

    As for the false allegations of money laundering, I have to laugh at your source and illustrate it here by pointing out the partisanship within it:

    In theory, our legal system affords equal access to justice. But, as George Orwell offers in Animal Farm, some of us are more equal than others, and Tom DeLay is, in Texas politics, the most equal of all. Texas courts, which are notoriously political, are packed with Republicans who owe their careers to Tom DeLay, directly or indirectly. That makes the justice dealt out in the DeLay case justice without equal.

    DeLay is now facing trial in Austin on charges of money-laundering. But his case has been bottled up by an appeals court dominated by Republicans. Ronnie Earle, a legendary prosecutor who has taken down far more Democrats than Republicans in his day, had hoped to end his career with this trial–but DeLay’s fellow Republicans insured that this would not happen. They waited patiently for Earle to retire and then handed down a preliminary ruling. The Republican judges find no reason why one of their colleagues who, before coming on the bench, said the DeLay prosecution was “politically motivated” could not then rule on the case. That reflects a novel understanding of the canons of judicial ethics, which–at least in places other than Texas–require that a judge handle his matters impartially. When a judge expresses an opinion on the merits of a case before it comes to him, that is prejudgment. It disqualifies him from participating in the case. Why this extraordinary departure from settled rules of judicial ethics? It appears that with one Republican recused, the court would have a tie vote, and DeLay would be denied the deus ex machina he is waiting for: a court ruling that the prosecution’s case is fatally defective.


    But alas, the truth is that the reasons this case have dragged on as long as they have is the fact that there never was a case and the dismissals are on their third appeal.

    The FACTS are this:

    Last summer the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals confirmed the dismissal of a separate indictment against DeLay and his associates on a charge of conspiring to violate the state election code. The court ruled that conspiracy did not apply to election code violations until 2003 — a year after the $190,000 exchange — when the Legislature changed the law.

    DeLay might be cleared of charges

    More FACTS:

    DeLay was indicted on a conspiracy charge Sept. 28. A second grand jury considered the case after questions were raised about when the law on which the conspiracy charge was based went into effect, but the panel returned no indictment.

    Days later, a third grand jury indicted DeLay on money-laundering charges, which carry five years to life in prison on conviction.
    DeGuerin contends that Earle unlawfully participated in the second grand jury's deliberations to seek another indictment, and that Earle tried to "browbeat and coerce" grand jurors into filing criminal charges.


    FOXNews.com - DeLay's Legal Team Works to Get Charges Dropped - Politics | Republican Party | Democratic Party | Political Spectrum

    So how many Grand Jury’s does it take to make any charges stick; three?

    From the NewsMax.com Staff
    Wednesday, June 27, 2007 3:28 p.m. EDT
    Tom DeLay Wins Round in Texas Court

    The highest criminal court in Texas on Wednesday refused to reinstate a dropped conspiracy charge against former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay.
    Two charges - money laundering and conspiring to launder money - remain against the former congressman. He resigned last year amid allegations that he violated campaign finance laws to funnel $190,000 in corporate contributions to Republicans in the state's 2002 legislative elections.
    The Texas Court of Criminal Appeals ruled 5-4 against reinstating a count of conspiracy to violate the state's election code.

    A state district judge threw out that charge in December 2005 after defense lawyers argued that the law DeLay was accused of violating didn't take effect until 2003. A regional appeals court upheld the judge's decision.

    Tom DeLay Wins Round in Texas Court

    So what he had here as a media supported Democrat smear campaign intended to impugn their political opponents in the court of public opinion rather than debate political ideas honestly and with integrity.

    The only thing that amazes me these days is how anyone can support such a corrupt party with such corrupt political ideals.


  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Richardson Probe 'Was Killed in Washington'

    Quote Originally Posted by akyron View Post
    If they are presumed innocent what else can they do without evidence?
    One is ALWAYS presumed innocent; it requires a court of law and a jury of peers to judge one's guilt. So that stated, what is here that cannot be brought before a Grand Jury and an indictment sought? Surely there is much more of an appearance of impropriety than that which was claimed against DeLay; a case which in the end was obviously politically motivated.

  6. #16
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,252

    Re: Richardson Probe 'Was Killed in Washington'

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    A couple of things here; are you asserting that the new standard is that someone is guilty because they settle out of court? That would be laughable at best; many settle OUT of court because it is easier than spending MORE defending oneself.

    Secondly; what does the Alpo case have to do with the false allegations that forced DeLay from office?

    DeLay in 1986 but filed a fraud suit against DeLay, another partner and Albo Pest Control Co. in 1994, after being terminated. DeLay reached a confidential, out-of-court settlement with Blankenship in 1995.

    As for the false allegations of money laundering, I have to laugh at your source and illustrate it here by pointing out the partisanship within it:

    In theory, our legal system affords equal access to justice. But, as George Orwell offers in Animal Farm, some of us are more equal than others, and Tom DeLay is, in Texas politics, the most equal of all. Texas courts, which are notoriously political, are packed with Republicans who owe their careers to Tom DeLay, directly or indirectly. That makes the justice dealt out in the DeLay case justice without equal.

    DeLay is now facing trial in Austin on charges of money-laundering. But his case has been bottled up by an appeals court dominated by Republicans. Ronnie Earle, a legendary prosecutor who has taken down far more Democrats than Republicans in his day, had hoped to end his career with this trial–but DeLay’s fellow Republicans insured that this would not happen. They waited patiently for Earle to retire and then handed down a preliminary ruling. The Republican judges find no reason why one of their colleagues who, before coming on the bench, said the DeLay prosecution was “politically motivated” could not then rule on the case. That reflects a novel understanding of the canons of judicial ethics, which–at least in places other than Texas–require that a judge handle his matters impartially. When a judge expresses an opinion on the merits of a case before it comes to him, that is prejudgment. It disqualifies him from participating in the case. Why this extraordinary departure from settled rules of judicial ethics? It appears that with one Republican recused, the court would have a tie vote, and DeLay would be denied the deus ex machina he is waiting for: a court ruling that the prosecution’s case is fatally defective.

    But alas, the truth is that the reasons this case have dragged on as long as they have is the fact that there never was a case and the dismissals are on their third appeal.

    The FACTS are this:

    Last summer the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals confirmed the dismissal of a separate indictment against DeLay and his associates on a charge of conspiring to violate the state election code. The court ruled that conspiracy did not apply to election code violations until 2003 — a year after the $190,000 exchange — when the Legislature changed the law.

    DeLay might be cleared of charges

    More FACTS:

    DeLay was indicted on a conspiracy charge Sept. 28. A second grand jury considered the case after questions were raised about when the law on which the conspiracy charge was based went into effect, but the panel returned no indictment.

    Days later, a third grand jury indicted DeLay on money-laundering charges, which carry five years to life in prison on conviction.
    DeGuerin contends that Earle unlawfully participated in the second grand jury's deliberations to seek another indictment, and that Earle tried to "browbeat and coerce" grand jurors into filing criminal charges.

    FOXNews.com - DeLay's Legal Team Works to Get Charges Dropped - Politics | Republican Party | Democratic Party | Political Spectrum

    So how many Grand Jury’s does it take to make any charges stick; three?

    From the NewsMax.com Staff
    Wednesday, June 27, 2007 3:28 p.m. EDT
    Tom DeLay Wins Round in Texas Court

    The highest criminal court in Texas on Wednesday refused to reinstate a dropped conspiracy charge against former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay.
    Two charges - money laundering and conspiring to launder money - remain against the former congressman. He resigned last year amid allegations that he violated campaign finance laws to funnel $190,000 in corporate contributions to Republicans in the state's 2002 legislative elections.
    The Texas Court of Criminal Appeals ruled 5-4 against reinstating a count of conspiracy to violate the state's election code.

    A state district judge threw out that charge in December 2005 after defense lawyers argued that the law DeLay was accused of violating didn't take effect until 2003. A regional appeals court upheld the judge's decision.
    Tom DeLay Wins Round in Texas Court

    So what he had here as a media supported Democrat smear campaign intended to impugn their political opponents in the court of public opinion rather than debate political ideas honestly and with integrity.

    The only thing that amazes me these days is how anyone can support such a corrupt party with such corrupt political ideals.

    Brain dead?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  7. #17
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,252

    Re: Richardson Probe 'Was Killed in Washington'

    Quote Originally Posted by Glinda View Post
    In the Blankenship/Albo case, DeLay settled out of court. You don't generally do that when you're squeaky clean and eager to defend your "honor" to the bitter end.

    His money-laundering indictment is still in pre-trial mode, due to politicization of Texas justice system and DeLay's countless appeals.

    Looks like your gun is out of bullets.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  8. #18
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Richardson Probe 'Was Killed in Washington'

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    did the federal grand jury have the power to indict?
    Grand juries do whatever prosecutors tell them to do.

    Quote Originally Posted by Glinda View Post
    In the Blankenship/Albo case, DeLay settled out of court. You don't generally do that when you're squeaky clean and eager to defend your "honor" to the bitter end.
    This is not true - settling often has no reflection on the strength of the case.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  9. #19
    Sage
    akyron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,434

    Re: Richardson Probe 'Was Killed in Washington'

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    So that stated, what is here that cannot be brought before a Grand Jury and an indictment sought? .
    I have not seen an answer to that yet but I would like to. So far all we have is an anonymous commentator backed by the media.
    Thank you

  10. #20
    You kids get off my lawn!
    Glinda's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    06-11-11 @ 02:01 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,716

    Re: Richardson Probe 'Was Killed in Washington'

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Looks like your gun is out of bullets.
    Bullets (like facts) are useless against GOP Kool-Aid.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •