Page 24 of 31 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 309

Thread: Rep. Jenkins: GOP looking for "great white hope"

  1. #231
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Rep. Jenkins: GOP looking for "great white hope"

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Limt View Post
    Did not say that either.
    That's almost exactly what you said.

    I mean, if you wanna backpedal out of it, by all means, do just that. It can't hurt our opinion of your argument at this point.

  2. #232
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Rep. Jenkins: GOP looking for "great white hope"

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    Just like calling a group of people crazy (and racist) for calling him a communist is an uninformed opinion. Because "communist" isn't a racial slur no matter how hard you wish it to be so.
    You are absolutely right, Jall. However, calling someone a "communist" or a "socialist" simply because you disagree with them does display ignorance.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  3. #233
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Rep. Jenkins: GOP looking for "great white hope"

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    You are absolutely right, Jall. However, calling someone a "communist" or a "socialist" simply because you disagree with them does display ignorance.
    I won't disagree with that. I do think that Obama has some socialist ideas that I don't like being implemented. Communist is over the top.

    But I think there is nothing more ignorant and asinine than trying to throw out some race card. It is demeaning to your opponent and it is demeaning to Obama to say that people disagree with him because he is black. It makes him so one dimensional, though I am sure that wasn't the intended purpose of throwing that barb out.

  4. #234
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    09-19-09 @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    374

    Re: Rep. Jenkins: GOP looking for "great white hope"

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Alright, going to talk with you very seriously here and try to remain extremely respectful. This is the same thing I had to do with Devil505 about opinions.

    Yes, anyone at all can make a statement that is a pure opinion, a judgement call, with absolutely zero evidence backing it up. Anyone can do that. I can say that people calling him a nazi are doing so because they actually think he's hitler reincarnated. People could say George Bush was actually put in power by a secret society specifically to use him to get oil from Iraq. People can say all kinds of wild out there opinion. Everyones free to do that and you're absolutely correct, opinions do not have to be backed up by fact.

    But we are on a debate forum. We are on a forum where discussion, discourse, and exchange of ideas is the goal. Part of what goes with that is the ability to make a credible argument and to back up your opinion to spur forward a debate.

    If I go "I believe they think he's hitler, reincarnated" and give absolutely zero proof to back up my claim the extent of the conversation would become:

    Someone else goes "No they don't. People also called Bush a nazi, do you think they believed he was hitler re-incarnated? They specifically bring up individual plans of his that resemble some of the philosophies of nazi germany, couldn't that be why they do it?"

    and then I'd go "Nope, I believe it, its my opinion."

    End any sort of discussion. There's no ability for discussion there because one side is trying to have one and the other is just saying "I believe this way, that's the way I believe in, because I believe in it". There's no discussion there.

    Opinions, on their own, are worthless. They're pointless. They're not worth talking about or giving credance to. For an opinion to be even worthy of DISCUSSING or accepting as potentially true it needs to have SOME KIND of credibility. This credibility can come about in two ways:

    1) Coming from someone with a reputation that is respectable enough that people give their opinions credance even without facts.
    2) Some kind of actual presented facts, even if its just anecdotal, that back it up.

    We have a poster named DonSoutherland. He's one of, if not THE, most respected poster on this board. Part of this is because he almost never speaks an opinion without backing it up with fact. BUT, at this point, because he's so respected if he simply came out and gave his opinion on something with it being completely basis he'd probably have a number of people actually give it credance because he's developed a reputation and built up the credibility for his opinion to actually matter.

    For those that haven't built that up, for your opinion, your judgement calls, to matter at all on this board, you need to do number 2.

    Does this mean you can't have an opinion? Absolutely not. You're COMPLETELY free to have whatever opinion or judgement call you want. However, people are completely free to ridicule, deride, and ignore your opinion as baseless and not credible when its...well...seems to be baseless and not credible. You're coming into the forum and talking as you are is no different than someone coming up to you off the street and telling people that lizardfolk are controlling our government. You've not been here to build up credibility or respect in regards to your opinion so there's zero reason why any poster should take your opinion, when tis not backed up by anything, as something seriously worth considering.

    To many people seem to have this mixed up notion that because an opinion does not NEED to be proven, means that there's no such thing as a POOR opinion. There is. And on a forum dedicated to political discussion you can't be surprised, offended, or upset when people call you to task for baseless opinions because frankly there'd be no use debating something where one person goes "This is my opinion because its my opinion" and the other side says "no, you're wrong, because of this this this" and the person responds "nope, its my opinion".
    Again, and I grow weary of this, it is a judgement call.

    I stubbornly believe some people are using the words, socialist, communist and fascist in the place of the N word. I said that it was in their tone and demeanor.

    Again, a judgement call.

    It is my call to make. You either like it, or do not like it.

    It seems the problem, is that I have chosen to make this decision, and others have taken a rather wacky approach by asking for "proof" of this subjective interpretation.

    That is, sorry to say, preposterous.

    Like I said earlier, this is not a debate about a factual claim. It is quite clearly, a subjective claim.

    It is akin to a person voicing their opinion of the latest 24 episode and then asking them for proof when you don't like their review.

    However, I do agree with you on some points. Namely, if one makes an objective empirical claim, that person is bound to the onus of having the responsibility to provide substantiation.

    But this is not the case with this topic.

    Code language is used in politics all the time, repeatedly, historically and presently.


    Obama used code language extensively throughout the campaign. Some obvious examples were the computer ad. Now, the Obama team did not flatly come out and say McCain is too old and feeble to be President.

    But it was clear the message the Obama camp was trying to get across was indeed that McCain is too old and feeble, and there is no way he should be President.

    On the other side, you had McCain/Palin ads and speeches that were all but saying Obama is a secret muslim terrorrist who is out to destroy America.

    Again, code language.

    Both ads, utterly ridiculous, but both were code language employed in the service of their respective campaigns.

    How can one possibly provide a link to a source confirming that code language is a tactic often used in political ads and political discourse?

    It is quite obvious.
    Last edited by The_Limt; 08-27-09 at 04:07 PM.

  5. #235
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    09-19-09 @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    374

    Re: Rep. Jenkins: GOP looking for "great white hope"

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    I didn't say you did. I'm asking you a question.

    I am not to going answer a question where you have setup the parameters.

    I did not say those words, Period.
    Last edited by The_Limt; 08-27-09 at 04:07 PM.

  6. #236
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Rep. Jenkins: GOP looking for "great white hope"

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    I won't disagree with that. I do think that Obama has some socialist ideas that I don't like being implemented. Communist is over the top.

    But I think there is nothing more ignorant and asinine than trying to throw out some race card. It is demeaning to your opponent and it is demeaning to Obama to say that people disagree with him because he is black. It makes him so one dimensional, though I am sure that wasn't the intended purpose of throwing that barb out.
    I'm not one to throw out the "race card" willy-nilly. However, there is no question that sometimes it exists. There are definitely many who oppose Obama because they have legitimate and credible arguments against his policies. However, there are absolutely a substantial number who oppose him strictly on racial grounds. I would put the "birther" crowd primarily in this group.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  7. #237
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Rep. Jenkins: GOP looking for "great white hope"

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    You are absolutely right, Jall. However, calling someone a "communist" or a "socialist" simply because you disagree with them does display ignorance.
    Oh, I totally agree with this. In no way is Obama an actual Socialist or Communist. When people use that as a fallback, I have an engrained bias that makes me dismiss that person's beliefs out of hand. Not because they're a racist, but because they have faulty judgement and aren't very intelligent.
    Last edited by Catz Part Deux; 08-27-09 at 04:10 PM.

  8. #238
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Rep. Jenkins: GOP looking for "great white hope"

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Limt View Post
    Make sure you don't use it with someone who is familiar with the Ad populum fallacy.
    You also seem intimately familiar with ad hominem as well. You have no proof, then you say it's a judgment call when forced on it. But other than that you're running around stating it like its fact, which isn't a "judgment" call then. So it's either fact or your opinion on the matter; either or believing some people mean the N word when calling Obama communist or socialist or whatever is dumb.

    So what is it? Is it "fact" supported by some form of black history or is it your opinion? Because depending on who you're responding to, you seem to use one or the other.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #239
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Rep. Jenkins: GOP looking for "great white hope"

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    I'm not one to throw out the "race card" willy-nilly. However, there is no question that sometimes it exists. There are definitely many who oppose Obama because they have legitimate and credible arguments against his policies. However, there are absolutely a substantial number who oppose him strictly on racial grounds. I would put the "birther" crowd primarily in this group.
    I think anyone who would oppose a man strictly on his skin color would probably have no issue stating such. That type is not really known for having credibility to lose nor sense enough to avoid making their foolishness evident.

  10. #240
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Rep. Jenkins: GOP looking for "great white hope"

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    You also seem intimately familiar with ad hominem as well. You have no proof, then you say it's a judgment call when forced on it. But other than that you're running around stating it like its fact, which isn't a "judgment" call then. So it's either fact or your opinion on the matter; either or believing some people mean the N word when calling Obama communist or socialist or whatever is dumb.

    So what is it? Is it "fact" supported by some form of black history or is it your opinion? Because depending on who you're responding to, you seem to use one or the other.
    Careful. You might be getting a little insulting and then that will become his excuse for not supporting his arguments.

Page 24 of 31 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •