Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 138

Thread: UK Health Care: Babies Born in Corridors

  1. #41
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Dallas-Ft.Worth
    Last Seen
    11-28-09 @ 02:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    541

    Re: UK Health Care: Babies Born in Corridors

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    My source says this actually:

    Mystery. Look at Iceland. It uses the same standards as we do. But it also has a population under 300,000 that is 94 percent homogenous, a mixture of Norse and Celts. Similarly, Finland and Japan do not have the ethnic and cultural diversity of our 300 million citizens. Even factoring in education and income, Chinese-American mothers have lower rates, and African-Americans higher, than the U.S. average. Environment matters as well. Lower infant mortality tracks with fewer teen pregnancies, married as opposed to single mothers, less obesity and smoking, more education, and moms pregnant with babies that they are utterly intent on having. Yet, there are still biological factors that we don't understand that lead to spontaneous premature delivery. It's a mysterious happening when a seemingly healthy pregnant woman suddenly goes into labor and delivers at six or seven months or has to face the shock and sadness of being confined to bed, hoping to hold on for another week, another month.

    It hardly seems to support your point.

    Also you missed this:

    the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, which collects the European numbers, warns of head-to-head comparisons by country.


    Such a contentious area is hardly one to make statements like this about;

    That's where the rubber hits the road....That's where right wing bullsht ends

    What is your point? That the USA is too brown (wink) (wink) Unlike lilly white Iceland?

    Tell me how does Cuba with all those brown and black people you can't stand manage to out do the USA in infant mortality?
    Last edited by dragondad; 08-27-09 at 02:05 AM.

  2. #42
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: UK Health Care: Babies Born in Corridors

    Quote Originally Posted by dragondad View Post
    What is your point? That the USA is too brown (wink) (wink) Unlike lilly white Iceland?

    Tell me how does Cuba with all those brown and black people you can't stand manage to out do the USA in infant mortality?

    I
    It doesn't. Cuban statistics are a lie. My aunt actually went there and met a woman whose daughter died and was not counted in official statistics.

    As for U.S. infant mortality rates, see my earlier post. There is reason to believe that under socialized health care, they might actually go up.

  3. #43
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Dallas-Ft.Worth
    Last Seen
    11-28-09 @ 02:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    541

    Re: UK Health Care: Babies Born in Corridors

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    It doesn't. Cuban statistics are a lie. My aunt actually went there and met a woman whose daughter died and was not counted in official statistics.

    As for U.S. infant mortality rates, see my earlier post. There is reason to believe that under socialized health care, they might actually go up.
    Ah so your anectodal tale proves this? You even have knowledge that the Cuban authorities did not count her death!.....Ha! ...LOL!
    Last edited by dragondad; 08-27-09 at 02:10 AM.

  4. #44
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: UK Health Care: Babies Born in Corridors

    Quote Originally Posted by dragondad View Post
    What is your point? That the USA is too brown (wink) (wink) Unlike lilly white Iceland?
    Her point is the sensationalist you made is not very accurate or useful.

    Tell me how does Cuba with all those brown and black people you can't stand manage to out do the USA in infant mortality?
    Cuba uses a different method of determining infant mortality and as the article says:


    the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, which collects the European numbers, warns of head-to-head comparisons by country.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  5. #45
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: UK Health Care: Babies Born in Corridors

    Quote Originally Posted by dragondad View Post
    Ah so your anectodal tale proves this? You even have knowledge that the Cuban authorities did not count her death!.....Ha! ...LOL!
    Can we just look at any country except Cuba please? All I'm saying is that I find it VERY difficult to actually trust Cuban statistics.

  6. #46
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: UK Health Care: Babies Born in Corridors

    cuba!

    LOLOLOL!

  7. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    09-19-09 @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    374

    Re: UK Health Care: Babies Born in Corridors

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    So you're willing to overlook the actual facts presented in the article because the author disagrees with you?

    They are not "facts" in any sense of the word. They are bizarre extrapolations taken from partisan sources such as the American Enterprise Institute and interpreted by a non-expert columnist.

    Take note: "Nicholas Eberstadt, a scholar at the American Enterprise Institute in Washington, also attributes the gap largely to conduct."

    Isn't that wonderful? A right-wing 'scholar,' from a right-wing think tank agreeing with a right-wing author concerning a right-wing talking point.

    Eberstadt's motto is well known in the scholarly community: If one does not like the data he or she sees, keep changing the metrics until you find something that makes them appear far better than they are.

    Changing the measurements by which experts measure infant mortality until Chapman likes what he sees is not a postulation that will ever be taken seriously by academics in the field of health policy.

    No respectable expert would ever forward such a vacuous, arrogant claim.

    Then again, neither Mr. Eberstadt, nor Mr. Chapman are hardly experts.

    Eberstadt should stick to doing what he does best - cheerleading for John Bolton and his ultra hawkish viewpoints on North Korea.
    Last edited by The_Limt; 08-27-09 at 03:02 AM.

  8. #48
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Dallas-Ft.Worth
    Last Seen
    11-28-09 @ 02:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    541

    Re: UK Health Care: Babies Born in Corridors

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    Her point is the sensationalist you made is not very accurate or useful.

    Cuba uses a different method of determining infant mortality and as the article says:


    the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, which collects the European numbers, warns of head-to-head comparisons by country.
    The World Health Organization ranks Cuba's Health Care system right up with the USA's despite it spending a small fraction of what the US spends. You have no idea why their infant mortality rates are so low. Other than your ideology which guides you to believe brown people can't have good healthcare.

    Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

  9. #49
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: UK Health Care: Babies Born in Corridors

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Limt View Post
    They are not "facts" in any sense of the word. They are bizarre extrapolations taken from partisan sources such as the American Enterprise Institute.

    Take note: "Nicholas Eberstadt, a scholar at the American Enterprise Institute in Washington, also attributes the gap largely to conduct."

    Isn't that wonderful? A right-wing 'scholar,' from a right-wing think tank agreeing with a right wing author concerning a right-wing talking point.

    No respectable expert in the health policy field would ever forward such a vacuous, arrogant claim.

    Then again, neither Mr. Eberstadt, nor Mr. Chapman are experts in the health policy field.

    Eberstadt should stick to doing what he does best - cheerleading for John Bolton and his ultra hawkish viewpoints on North Korea.
    So are you denying that:
    -We are 10 times more obese than Japan
    -We have 7 times the teen pregnancy rates of Sweden
    -We have relatively high drug use rates
    -We have high rates of underweight infants- probably because of the above
    -Still, our underweight infant survival rates are actually higher than those in Canada.

    These are not things to be argued for or against. They are FACTS.

  10. #50
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    09-19-09 @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    374

    Re: UK Health Care: Babies Born in Corridors

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    So are you denying that:
    -We are 10 times more obese than Japan
    -We have 7 times the teen pregnancy rates of Sweden
    -We have relatively high drug use rates
    -We have high rates of underweight infants- probably because of the above
    -Still, our underweight infant survival rates are actually higher than those in Canada.

    These are not things to be argued for or against. They are FACTS.
    Did you even read the Chapman article?

    My guess is that you did not, otherwise you would not be asking "So are you denying that..."
    Last edited by The_Limt; 08-27-09 at 03:01 AM.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •