Page 53 of 54 FirstFirst ... 34351525354 LastLast
Results 521 to 530 of 539

Thread: Ted Kennedy Dies of Brain Cancer at Age 77

  1. #521
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,396

    Re: Ted Kennedy Dies of Brain Cancer at Age 77

    Quote Originally Posted by PogueMoran View Post
    I'm sorry for jumping in here but I fail to see your logic. Providing vouchers, wouldn't that be the government encroaching? You're talking about the government putting tax dollars to funding children going to private school. This seems more like the government jumping in.

    No more so than the extensive taxes we already pay, this just puts the choice back with us Parents.





    How exactly do gun locks prevent you from owning a gun?


    How am I supposed to defend my family and property if I have to ask the badido to hold on a sec while I unlock my pistole.



    It's an infringment.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  2. #522
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Ted Kennedy Dies of Brain Cancer at Age 77

    Quote Originally Posted by PogueMoran View Post
    I'm sorry for jumping in here but I fail to see your logic. Providing vouchers, wouldn't that be the government encroaching? You're talking about the government putting tax dollars to funding children going to private school. This seems more like the government jumping in.
    I don't think you comprehend what these "vouchers" are. You already pay property taxes to support your local school. If you want to pull your child out and place them in a school that teaches instead of indoctrinates, you can, but you still pay the property taxes for public schools.

    Vouchers are a return of YOUR money BACK to YOU so that you can pay for the education of your child with money you gave the government for schools your kids no longer attend.

    Short explanation; it is YOUR money. The Government is just giving it back. What a concept eh?

    Quote Originally Posted by PogueMoran View Post
    How exactly do gun locks prevent you from owning a gun?
    No one suggests that gun locks prevent you from owning a gun. They prevent you from defending yourself with the gun due to an asinine Liberal idea that we need to make guns useless for the purpose for which they are intended in order to support an asinine agenda that assumes if we disarm law abiding citizens, we can make them safe from crime.

    I know, this makes ZERO sense; but that is the mentality of the disarm America crowd which crows about Constitutional rights but when it comes to your second amendment rights, all bets are off.


  3. #523
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Ted Kennedy Dies of Brain Cancer at Age 77

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    No one suggests that gun locks prevent you from owning a gun. They prevent you from defending yourself with the gun due to an asinine Liberal idea that we need to make guns useless for the purpose for which they are intended in order to support an asinine agenda that assumes if we disarm law abiding citizens, we can make them safe from crime.
    I think the point of gun locks is this... A hefty percentage of weapons used by criminals out on the streets are actually stolen from the law-abiding gun owners during burglaries and car burglaries. A gun lock makes it more difficult for a gun to be stolen and used.

    I never really thought this point was difficult to understand, but clearly, it is for some people.

    A gun lock can also protect your children by making it impossible for them to use the gun when you aren't around.

    A good friend of mine, a sergeant in a gang unit in Utah...his daughter killed herself with his service revolver, which he kept on the top of his dresser.

    It's possible that a trigger lock MIGHT have prevented that.
    Last edited by Catz Part Deux; 09-02-09 at 03:04 PM.

  4. #524
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Ted Kennedy Dies of Brain Cancer at Age 77

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    I think the point of gun locks is this... A hefty percentage of weapons used by criminals out on the streets are actually stolen from the law-abiding gun owners during burglaries and car burglaries. A gun lock makes it more difficult for a gun to be stolen and used.

    I never really thought this point was difficult to understand, but clearly, it is for some people.

    A gun lock can also protect your children by making it impossible for them to use the gun when you aren't around.

    A good friend of mine, a sergeant in a gang unit in Utah...his daughter killed herself with his service revolver, which he kept on the top of his dresser.

    It's possible that a trigger lock MIGHT have prevented that.
    While I sympathize with the friend whose suffered the tragedy, it was entirely preventable without a gunlock. A child has a better chance of getting hurt or killed playing in the house or walking to school.

    But I can hardly see where it makes the case that rendering a handgun useless somehow makes sense when the purpose of the handgun is for the defense of one's home, person or property.

    Many thousands more children and individuals die from senseless traffic accidents, should we make cars inoperable?

    Tragic accidents will happen. And don't get me wrong, I have no problem with someone who CHOOSES to put a gun lock on their weapon; it is only when the Government MANDATES it in a sinister effort to render weapons useless for those who purchased them that I have the issue.

    Letís remember the reason many purchase a handgun is that they desire to protect their life and property, something the police and Government cannot guarantee. To force them to render the firearm useless defeats the whole concept of self defense; and that is wrong.

  5. #525
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Ted Kennedy Dies of Brain Cancer at Age 77

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    But I can hardly see.
    Obviously. No one is forcing trigger locks on anyone. However, when a gun is not in use, it makes sense to secure it, and that's what these tools are for.

    They are not an instrument of Satan, TD.

  6. #526
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Ted Kennedy Dies of Brain Cancer at Age 77

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Obviously. No one is forcing trigger locks on anyone.
    I could have sworn that the argument came up when someone mentioned the efforts of Democrats to mandate trigger locks. Are you saying this is not the case?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    However, when a gun is not in use, it makes sense to secure it, and that's what these tools are for.
    Here's a scenario for you; you have a handgun for protection and keep it in your purse. You of course have a trigger lock on the weapon because in your scenario, you are afraid of someone stealing it and using it in a crime or accidental discharge; as you are attempting to fish your car keys from the purse, a thug emerges from the darkness; you grab your handgun for protection, but alas, it has a trigger lock on it and now you are helpless to prevent the thug from mugging you, and perhaps worse.

    This scenario can apply equally well to the weapon kept in the home in a drawer in the bedroom.

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    They are not an instrument of Satan, TD.
    Say what?

  7. #527
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Last Seen
    11-03-11 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,834

    Re: Ted Kennedy Dies of Brain Cancer at Age 77

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    No more so than the extensive taxes we already pay, this just puts the choice back with us Parents.
    How so it sounds like government getting involved in a private matter. Try to be consistent with your outrage. The government providing money for vouchers is government involvement.


    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    How am I supposed to defend my family and property if I have to ask the badido to hold on a sec while I unlock my pistole.

    It's an infringment.
    So you're saying that you're going to be held at gunpoint the moment you exit the gun shop after you buy your gun? Come on don't be ridiculous. Do you keep a gunlock on your gun when its not in use and stored in your home? Again I ask how do gun locks infringe on you owning a gun? How exactly do gun locks stop you from buying guns? You can't be arsed to remove the gun lock when you actually need to use it?

    Do you store you guns in the open at home or do you lock them up?

  8. #528
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Ted Kennedy Dies of Brain Cancer at Age 77

    Quote Originally Posted by PogueMoran View Post
    Do you store you guns in the open at home or do you lock them up?
    He hangs them outdoors on the clothesline so the gummint agents can't get them and install gun locks without his knowledge.

  9. #529
    Sage
    DeeJayH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Scooping Zeus' Poop
    Last Seen
    06-21-15 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    11,728

    Re: Ted Kennedy Dies of Brain Cancer at Age 77

    Quote Originally Posted by PogueMoran View Post
    How so it sounds like government getting involved in a private matter. Try to be consistent with your outrage. The government providing money for vouchers is government involvement.
    how in the world do you figure that the govt giving you 'your money' to decide which school your child will attend, more govt involvement?

    Human Taxidermist - - now offering his services for all your loved ones
    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    How the hell did you just tie in a retroactive reparative measure with a proactive preventative measure. Not even close to being the same thing.

  10. #530
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Last Seen
    11-03-11 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,834

    Re: Ted Kennedy Dies of Brain Cancer at Age 77

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    I don't think you comprehend what these "vouchers" are. You already pay property taxes to support your local school. If you want to pull your child out and place them in a school that teaches instead of indoctrinates, you can, but you still pay the property taxes for public schools.

    Vouchers are a return of YOUR money BACK to YOU so that you can pay for the education of your child with money you gave the government for schools your kids no longer attend.

    Short explanation; it is YOUR money. The Government is just giving it back. What a concept eh?
    I understand perfectly what vouchers are. People use them to send their kids to private schools. Social security is my money as well but aren't you against that? Medicare, Medicaid all money I pay out. Disability, unemployment insurance. Again be consistent. The same can be said about school vouchers as these programs which taxpayers pay into and at times use themselves.



    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    No one suggests that gun locks prevent you from owning a gun. They prevent you from defending yourself with the gun due to an asinine Liberal idea that we need to make guns useless for the purpose for which they are intended in order to support an asinine agenda that assumes if we disarm law abiding citizens, we can make them safe from crime.

    I know, this makes ZERO sense; but that is the mentality of the disarm America crowd which crows about Constitutional rights but when it comes to your second amendment rights, all bets are off.

    Um Rev kinda tried to make the case that somehow gunlocks violate the second amendment and prevent you from bearing arms. Totally incorrent. How does a gunlock prevent you from using a gun when you need it? This is ridiculous just take the damn thing off when you don't need it. Gun locks don't make guns useless anymore than having a safe that you store your gun in makes it useless. Gunlocks don't disarm the public again you're making an argument not based in logic

Page 53 of 54 FirstFirst ... 34351525354 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •