Page 40 of 54 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast
Results 391 to 400 of 539

Thread: Ted Kennedy Dies of Brain Cancer at Age 77

  1. #391
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    09-19-09 @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    374

    Re: Ted Kennedy Dies of Brain Cancer at Age 77

    Until I see evidence of a Senator or Congressman dancing on his grave I will not cede the point.

  2. #392
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: Ted Kennedy Dies of Brain Cancer at Age 77

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Limt View Post
    Until I see evidence of a Senator or Congressman dancing on his grave I will not cede the point.
    Negative proof is not proof. Fail.

  3. #393
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Ted Kennedy Dies of Brain Cancer at Age 77

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Limt View Post
    Until I see evidence of a Senator or Congressman dancing on his grave I will not cede the point.
    Are you under the impression that anyone cares?

  4. #394
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    48,330

    Re: Ted Kennedy Dies of Brain Cancer at Age 77

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    You know what? It's a matter of degree. If Teddy's daughter were on here, the last thing I'd do was slag her daddy. But, the cult of celebrity in the U.S. where people are mourning freaking Billy Mays who sold rags on television is just...bizarre. And, it's the cult of celebrity that I'm resisting.

    A very well-liked governor, Lawton Chiles, passed away in Florida a few years ago. There were a lot of outpourings of sentiment in regards to it, and I could understand that. He lived and worked here, he raised a family here, and people were very attached to him.

    But, I have zero attachment to Billy Mays, Michael Jackson, Farrah Fawcett, or Teddy Kennedy, and neither does anyone else here.

    I think it's bizarre that we're "mourning" this man. Mourning is reserved for people who actually MATTER. Our cult of celebrity gives us the idea that people we've seen on television somehow have a connection to us, but they don't know us, and didn't care about us, and wouldn't have known us on the street.

    I'm going to spend more time mourning an average rifleman who dies on the sands of Iraq or the mountains of Afghanistan, or frankly, an Iranian voter who is gunned down in the streets of Islamabad more than I do Teddy Kennedy. Because those people, in the scheme of things, GAVE MORE, and MATTER MORE.

    Call me classless, i'll deal.
    I actually had a long discussion about that very notion back in 2007 after Taylor's death, but honestly can't remember if it was here or on the Redskins message board. Its an interesting subject but I think its verging a good bit off topic from here so I'll leave it for another time.
    Forget "LWOP", until this shutdown ends I get to enjoy "WWOP": Work Without Pay

  5. #395
    Advisor Sanitas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The world.
    Last Seen
    03-05-12 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    459

    Re: Ted Kennedy Dies of Brain Cancer at Age 77

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    A very well-liked governor, Lawton Chiles, passed away in Florida a few years ago. There were a lot of outpourings of sentiment in regards to it, and I could understand that. He lived and worked here, he raised a family here, and people were very attached to him.

    But, I have zero attachment to Billy Mays, Michael Jackson, Farrah Fawcett, or Teddy Kennedy, and neither does anyone else here.
    First off, do not put Teddy Kennedy in the same group as MJ.

    Secondly, Ted Kennedy was MY Senator! I am from Mass. He represented ME. I think I have an attachment to Senator Kennedy.


    Iranian voter who is gunned down in the streets of Islamabad
    Just to let you know, Islamabad is in Pakistan, not Iran.
    "All mankind is of one author, and is one volume; when one man dies, one chapter is not torn out of the book, but translated into a better language...No man is an island, entire of itself...any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee." - John Donne

  6. #396
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    09-19-09 @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    374

    Re: Ted Kennedy Dies of Brain Cancer at Age 77

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Are you under the impression that anyone cares?

    It is no real concern of mine whether anyone "cares" or not.

    It is not about "me."

    You have an emotional agenda to pimp, I do not.

    Simply put, it is classless to dance on someones grave.

    Period.

  7. #397
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Ted Kennedy Dies of Brain Cancer at Age 77

    Quote Originally Posted by Sanitas View Post
    First off, do not put Teddy Kennedy in the same group as MJ.

    Secondly, Ted Kennedy was MY Senator! I am from Mass. He represented ME. I think I have an attachment to Senator Kennedy.
    Great. Sorry for your loss. But, you should have bet on him in the death pool.

    Just to let you know, Islamabad is in Pakistan, not Iran.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8lT1o0sDwI"]YouTube - Animal House: Germans Bombed Pearl Harbor[/ame]

  8. #398
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Ted Kennedy Dies of Brain Cancer at Age 77

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Limt View Post
    It is no real concern of mine whether anyone "cares" or not. It is not about "me." You have an emotional agenda to pimp, I do not.
    That's why you've posted 54 times on this subject.


  9. #399
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Ted Kennedy Dies of Brain Cancer at Age 77

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Well no, not everyone was on the same team.
    Fair enough, and I guess the difference is hard to explain in words, but I don't think anyone who is reasonable could begrudge an "in memorandum" season for a fallen teammate, not under those particular circumstances anyway. The difference I see is that people want to push an unpopular agenda and are using a man's death to do it, to Kennedy's credit, he was absolutely a pitbull on the issue, even though it wasn't exactly something he did particularly well, and he stuck to his guns, that's respectable, but I don't see pushing healthcare in his name as the same thing, with a fallen player.

    His TEAMMATES were on his team. But The giants, and the cowboys, and the other teams the Skin's played during that time weren't part of the same team there. Same for their fans.
    True, but I don't see opposing teams thinking of it as distasteful, as I would think they would do the exact same thing had the shoe fallen their way, the Kennedy situation as I see it, and Heston, and Wellstone, are a lunatic fringe that wants their agenda passed by any means necessary, human dignity, class, protocol, and basic decency be damned.

    Much like with the Kennedy thing. Sure, CONSERVATIVES don't agree with him on Universal Health Care, but the majority of his "team" (the democrats) and his fans (democratic voters) very much DO agree with his notion of UHC.
    While this is true, there are real consequences to letting this be the standard bearer of how to remember the dead, I think we could all agree that sometimes precedence should be forewarned. Anyway, this is my opinion, and I would suspect that of many here to some degree.

    You're saying there will be real consequences, and knowing you as a poster I believe you really mean that in a generic "things could go either way" type of sense...but for most on "his team", they don't think there will be major consequence,s but major benefits to enacting this.
    Yeah, you pretty much got it right, and I can't stress the last part of this point enough, they don't think there will be consequences, but in reality everything has unintended consequences, and this one could be a doozie, the thing I really have a problem with is pushing an agenda through without any forethought.

    Again, I see your point, I just don't really agree that whenever its done in politics, regardless of the context, that its tasteless.
    And that's fine, opinions are just that, I just hope it ends with opinions and nothing worse.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  10. #400
    Advisor Sanitas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The world.
    Last Seen
    03-05-12 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    459

    Re: Ted Kennedy Dies of Brain Cancer at Age 77

    Lol! By stating the whole Iran/Islamabad thing I sincerely just wanted to let you know. I like to spread knowledge :]
    "All mankind is of one author, and is one volume; when one man dies, one chapter is not torn out of the book, but translated into a better language...No man is an island, entire of itself...any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee." - John Donne

Page 40 of 54 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •