Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 92

Thread: Michigan courts given leeway to force veil removal

  1. #11
    Guru
    F107HyperSabr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Last Seen
    10-21-10 @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,617

    Re: Michigan courts given leeway to force veil removal

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    What's a vel?
    vel , let me tell vhat a vel is !! it'sa vey of covering up ze face so yu can't see the entire face , OK ? that make it clear for you !!
    I do not recall the Viet Cong asking me if I was a natural born or Naturalized American before they shot at me, they just shot at all of us f107HyperSabr

  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Michigan courts given leeway to force veil removal

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    What's a vel?
    ZOMG I'm trying force a new spelling on you!!!

  3. #13
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: Michigan courts given leeway to force veil removal

    Would the court allow a person to testify disguised as a clown or with a paper bag over their head?

    There is a big difference between belief and action. She is free to her belief -- a belief that is (or at least should be) entirely voluntary -- but when she engages in certain actions because of such beliefs, then our law supercedes such because the law is based upon actions. Just claiming "religion" to justify such actions doesn't cut it because her rights do not supercede the rights of others. She has the SAME rights as others because the courts would not allow the clown or the paper bag.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  4. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Michigan courts given leeway to force veil removal

    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    Would the court allow a person to testify disguised as a clown or with a paper bag over their head?

    There is a big difference between belief and action. She is free to her belief -- a belief that is (or at least should be) entirely voluntary -- but when she engages in certain actions because of such beliefs, then our law supercedes such because the law is based upon actions. Just claiming "religion" to justify such actions doesn't cut it because her rights do not supercede the rights of others. She has the SAME rights as others because the courts would not allow the clown or the paper bag.
    And I thought TheNextEra was being a troll.

  5. #15
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: Michigan courts given leeway to force veil removal

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    And I thought TheNextEra was being a troll.
    I said nothing trollish.

    Feel free to stick it where the sun don't shine.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Michigan courts given leeway to force veil removal

    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    I said nothing trollish.
    Likening legitimate religious garb with clown costumes is always trollish.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    Feel free to stick it where the sun don't shine.
    Keep your clown fetish to yourself.

  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Michigan courts given leeway to force veil removal

    can't you two just hook up and relieve your sexual tension?
    Last edited by Catz Part Deux; 08-26-09 at 12:28 PM.

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Michigan courts given leeway to force veil removal

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Oh Christ can we please drop the droma? It's always "someone's trying to force something on me" with you people.

    It's not rape, so calm dawn. It's a veil. She harms no one and it doesn't affect you in any way.
    You're wrong. She was giving testimony in court. The judge has every right to remove a barrier between her testimony and the court. And, when asked to remove a veil, she demanded a female judge.

    That is an effect.

  9. #19
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Michigan courts given leeway to force veil removal

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Sounds to me like the court infringed upon her rights. The judge did not illustrate any compelling reason that she needed to remove the veil (I don't think "needing to see her demeanor and temperament" qualifies). It's different than, say, a driver's license photo IMO, where actually photographing a person's face is part of the established process and may be necessary for legal purposes.
    The right of the accused to face their accusers.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  10. #20
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: Michigan courts given leeway to force veil removal

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    can't you two just hook up and relieve your sexual tension?
    His dance of the seven veils is particulary erotic.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •