Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Veterans Affairs mistakenly tells 1,200 they have Lou Gehrig's

  1. #11
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:47 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,360
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Veterans Affairs mistakenly tells 1,200 they have Lou Gehrig's

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Which further reinforces my point. Why would you want to create a larger system that will obviously breed more of these kind of mistakes?
    And you missed the point. If one group handles 10 cases a day, and messes up one, and another handles 100 cases a day, and messes up 5, which is more likely to mess up a case?

  2. #12
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,584

    Re: Veterans Affairs mistakenly tells 1,200 they have Lou Gehrig's

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    And you missed the point. If one group handles 10 cases a day, and messes up one, and another handles 100 cases a day, and messes up 5, which is more likely to mess up a case?
    And, you missed the point. Bureaucracies are notorious for screwing things up. The bigger they are, the more things they screw up. Why do we want to create the largest bureaucracy in history?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #13
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:47 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,360
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Veterans Affairs mistakenly tells 1,200 they have Lou Gehrig's

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    And, you missed the point. Bureaucracies are notorious for screwing things up. The bigger they are, the more things they screw up. Why do we want to create the largest bureaucracy in history?
    And without the stats for the likelyhood of a private health provider making a mistake vs the VA, your point is speculation at best.

  4. #14
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Veterans Affairs mistakenly tells 1,200 they have Lou Gehrig's

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    And, you missed the point. Bureaucracies are notorious for screwing things up. The bigger they are, the more things they screw up. Why do we want to create the largest bureaucracy in history?
    How is this responsive to redress's point?

    And while I'm sure we can all agree that this is a pretty stupid mistake on the part of the VA, and even if we were to agree that this is marginally more likely to happen because the VA is a government agency...

    who the **** cares? Is this really that big a deal?

    Let me know which one you would rather have happen to you:

    Veterans Affairs mistakenly tells 1,200 they have Lou Gehrig's, a fatal neurological disease -- latimes.com

    or

    3 Indicted in Theft of 130 Million Card Numbers - DealBook Blog - NYTimes.com

    I know which one would have a larger effect on my life.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  5. #15
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:47 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,360
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Veterans Affairs mistakenly tells 1,200 they have Lou Gehrig's

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    How is this responsive to redress's point?

    And while I'm sure we can all agree that this is a pretty stupid mistake on the part of the VA, and even if we were to agree that this is marginally more likely to happen because the VA is a government agency...

    who the **** cares? Is this really that big a deal?

    Let me know which one you would rather have happen to you:

    Veterans Affairs mistakenly tells 1,200 they have Lou Gehrig's, a fatal neurological disease -- latimes.com

    or

    3 Indicted in Theft of 130 Million Card Numbers - DealBook Blog - NYTimes.com

    I know which one would have a larger effect on my life.
    And I think we have a winner!

  6. #16
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,584

    Re: Veterans Affairs mistakenly tells 1,200 they have Lou Gehrig's

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    How is this responsive to redress's point?

    And while I'm sure we can all agree that this is a pretty stupid mistake on the part of the VA, and even if we were to agree that this is marginally more likely to happen because the VA is a government agency...

    who the **** cares? Is this really that big a deal?

    Let me know which one you would rather have happen to you:

    Veterans Affairs mistakenly tells 1,200 they have Lou Gehrig's, a fatal neurological disease -- latimes.com

    or

    3 Indicted in Theft of 130 Million Card Numbers - DealBook Blog - NYTimes.com

    I know which one would have a larger effect on my life.
    Gee Wally!! As if government computers are less prone to hacking. C'mon, dude, that's not a very good example.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  7. #17
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Veterans Affairs mistakenly tells 1,200 they have Lou Gehrig's

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Gee Wally!! As if government computers are less prone to hacking. C'mon, dude, that's not a very good example.
    I didn't offer any evidence that they were, just like you didn't offer any evidence that private healthcare is any less prone to screwing up. All I did was point out one example where a large number of people were affected, which is exactly what you did.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  8. #18
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,584

    Re: Veterans Affairs mistakenly tells 1,200 they have Lou Gehrig's

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    I didn't offer any evidence that they were, just like you didn't offer any evidence that private healthcare is any less prone to screwing up. All I did was point out one example where a large number of people were affected, which is exactly what you did.
    has any private hospital told 1,200 people they would be dead in 12 months? This is internal. The ID theft article you posted is external.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #19
    Guru
    F107HyperSabr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Last Seen
    10-21-10 @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,617

    Re: Veterans Affairs mistakenly tells 1,200 they have Lou Gehrig's

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I can't wait for the government to take over health care. It's gonna be just awesome! I know everyone is as excited as I am.
    The VA as has virtaully every large organization has made mistakes over the years. I recall when they told the Vietnam era vets that their Agent Oraange sympyoms were all in their heads. Well only those who manifrstedbrain tumors from Agent Orange actually hadthe probelm in their heads,


    The VA told a group of veterans at one time that they were dead. Maybe that was wishfull thinking on the VA's part.
    Last edited by F107HyperSabr; 08-24-09 at 11:27 PM.
    I do not recall the Viet Cong asking me if I was a natural born or Naturalized American before they shot at me, they just shot at all of us f107HyperSabr

  10. #20
    Guru
    F107HyperSabr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Last Seen
    10-21-10 @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,617

    Re: Veterans Affairs mistakenly tells 1,200 they have Lou Gehrig's

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Can you please explain how the VA's affiliation with the government caused this mistake?
    Big organizations make big mistakes !!! Ok now let's talk about recalls of products. A auto manufacturer with a large volume of production can have and have had screwups that affect many units.
    I do not recall the Viet Cong asking me if I was a natural born or Naturalized American before they shot at me, they just shot at all of us f107HyperSabr

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •