Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 262

Thread: Tories "will scrap hunting ban"

  1. #241
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: Tories "will scrap hunting ban"

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    But until such assurances are given and extremtley harsh punishment to anyone who breaks it. Ban hounds until further notice.
    I met more than halfway with this. How far can you compromise.
    I very much doubt think you have met more than halfway, particularly with the master-like attitude but I'm willing to compromise and agree with you. Not that it isn't currently banned.
    So? I can play ping pong as much as anyone else. Hardly deters me.
    The country votes is not as much as city votes.
    Most of the city dwellers don't really care about this issue. The county people far from make it their sole agenda but the dictatorial attitudes and resentment cause are much more important to them than this issue is to the city dwellers.
    I would hardly care if it turns blue or not if i was a labour strategist seeing it is mainly blue anyway.
    I'd care about all the major cities in UK and Scotland. Done deal.
    As every great statesman from Solon to PiusXI has known a strong rural and healthy population and agriculture is essential to a strong, healthy and free state.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  2. #242
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: Tories "will scrap hunting ban"

    Doesn't matter.
    The country does not have enough votes to sway or make a difference to the cities even if they wanted. Face that.

    I met halfway, just because it is not the conclusion you wish does not mean i did not compromise.
    I don't want this disgusting blood sport abolished now do I? Hunt. Hunt without hounds. Very simple


  3. #243
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: Tories "will scrap hunting ban"

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    Doesn't matter.
    The country does not have enough votes to sway or make a difference to the cities even if they wanted. Face that.
    Perhaps, but I believe in decentralism, I'd give countryfolk a lot more of say over their own destiny and as I said before; As every great statesman from Solon to PiusXI has known a strong rural and healthy population and agriculture is essential to a strong, healthy and free state. This dictatorial attitude is no way to achieve that.
    I met halfway, just because it is not the conclusion you wish does not mean i did not compromise.
    I don't want this disgusting blood sport abolished now do I? Hunt. Hunt WITHOUT hounds.
    I thought you were okay withe hounds now? That is not halfway, that is no compromise at all.

    What you said before was not halfway, particularly in the dictatorial and disrespectable manner you laid it down, but it was acceptable enough. Hunting with hounds but training them not to attack the foxes is an acceptable compromise.
    Last edited by Wessexman; 08-26-09 at 10:45 PM.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  4. #244
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: Tories "will scrap hunting ban"

    No perhaps about it.

    What manner? Oh come on Wessex. Just because i am not jumping on this "tradition" bandwagon there is no need to be like that.

    I still do not know what compromises you made.


  5. #245
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: Tories "will scrap hunting ban"

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    No perhaps about it.

    What manner? Oh come on Wessex. Just because i am not jumping on this "tradition" bandwagon there is no need to be like that.

    I still do not know what compromises you made.
    The manner comment is quite legitimate, I'm not making it personal, I still like you. I'm just saying that you are being very much like you must do this or else and not really understanding or listening to the other side because, heaven forbid, a few foxes get hurt. Foxes are being put before the vitality of rural communities it seems to me.

    Anyway you seemed to be saying you accept hunting with hounds if the are trained not to attack the foxes? Do you not agree with this? That would be an acceptable compromise, there is no compromise otherwise unless you think it is a compromise that I be able to shoot a pest on my private property. The argument the hounds might still occasionally go too far is not much of an argument and shows no willingness to compromise at all.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  6. #246
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: Tories "will scrap hunting ban"

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    The manner comment is quite legitimate, I'm not making it personal, I still like you. I'm just saying that you are being very much like you must do this or all and not really understanding or listening to the other side because, heaven forbid, a few foxes get hurt. Foxes are being put before the vitality of rural communities it seems to me.
    I can listen to the other side fine.
    I just do not accept the argument you are placing of 'tradition'
    That is not a legitimate reason to me.
    But if you wish.
    I will not shut up and let you say your piece in favour of fox hunting and respond ..... Go ahead

    Anyway you seemed to be saying you accept hunting with hounds if the are trained not to attack the foxes? Do you not agree with this? That would be an acceptable compromise, there is no compromise otherwise unless you think it is a compromise that I be able to shoot a pest on my private property. The argument the hounds might still occasionally go too far is not much of an argument and shows no willingness to compromise at all.
    If the hunts are subject to random checks by someone from the RSPCA etc. to ensure it has been killed swiftly and no dog tearing then deal.


  7. #247
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: Tories "will scrap hunting ban"

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    I can listen to the other side fine.
    I just do not accept the argument you are placing of 'tradition'
    That is not a legitimate reason to me.
    But if you wish.
    I will not shut up and let you say your piece in favour of fox hunting and respond ..... Go ahead
    I was more talking about your willingness to lay down the law to the countryside.

    Tradition is usually very important. The individual reason is limited, we cannot easily comprehend society with all its associations, functions, roles, authorities, statuses, ideational factors and such. Each one of these may have links with any others of which we have little direct knowledge, making a change in one possibly creating unpredictable results in others. Therefore we must often trust to tradition, because it is what has worked and built up over time this is particularly true for important things in society and communities. Obviously change must come but it must come piecemeal, with continuity and with due veneration for what is left unchanged. For rural communities fox hunting has long held a quite important ritual and communal place and by simply trampling all over that in the name of stopping a little violence to foxes we can't know exactly what this may do to the rural communities who are already underfire.

    If the hunts are subject to random checks by someone from the RSPCA etc. to ensure it has been killed swiftly and no dog tearing then deal.
    I could agree with that.
    Last edited by Wessexman; 08-26-09 at 11:06 PM.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  8. #248
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: Tories "will scrap hunting ban"

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    I was more talking about your willingness to lay down the law to the countryside.

    I could agree with that.
    Well on that then i cannot compromise.
    Country shouldn't get away with anything just because westminister is in the city.
    They have MP's who are represented in Parliament. More than enough.

    Well then we compromised and reached a agreement yes?


  9. #249
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: Tories "will scrap hunting ban"

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    Well on that then i cannot compromise.
    Country shouldn't get away with anything just because westminister is in the city.
    They have MP's who are represented in Parliament. More than enough.
    I completely disagree. I believe regions, counties and locales should have a lot more power, more than Westminister itself over internal matters. I'm very much the decentralist.

    Well then we compromised and reached a agreement yes?
    Indeed.

    It would be interesting to hear you views on my traditional conservative argument about tradition over rationalism when it comes to politics. Obviously I like most people today also succumb to rationalism when it comes to society and politics, we live in a society where everyone has their schemes for gov't, but I'd like to think I succumb to it less and when I do mine are for a decentralism that respects local traditions and customs and is about giving power to those most likely to comprehend the conditions on the ground. Which is quite different to arch-rationalists like the Jacobins who tried to reconstruct an entire nation from one legislature residing in the capital.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  10. #250
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: Tories "will scrap hunting ban"

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    It would be interesting to hear you views on my traditional conservative argument about tradition over rationalism when it comes to politics.
    Tradition is fine.
    A fine line has to be walked by politicans and publics in preserving and respecting traditions and not allowing to have free reign.
    When needed the law should answer concerns but otherwise leave them to their devices.


Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •