Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 262

Thread: Tories "will scrap hunting ban"

  1. #201
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: Tories "will scrap hunting ban"

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    If this hunting harms the enviournment due to the yearly, and large losses, of fox numbers, therefore damaging the sensitive balance of the ecosystem, i believe its every right of the government to get involved.

    Another reason imo, fox hunting isnt something that can be regulated by government regulators. It may be an illegal practise to use dogs during fox hunting, but who says they wont use that method of hunting against the Foxes? And if so who will see or say anything? Its the countryside. So they just banned the practice outright. Again, imo.
    There's illegal hunting in the US as well. If you have hunters register with the government, it's easier to regulate.

  2. #202
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Tories "will scrap hunting ban"

    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenAsparagus View Post
    There's illegal hunting in the US as well. If you have hunters register with the government, it's easier to regulate.
    Registered hunters? Sure but what does that do? How can registered hunters be regulated in practice?
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  3. #203
    Cànan a' Gàidheal
    Anima's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    West Coast of Scotland
    Last Seen
    06-24-12 @ 01:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,741

    Re: Tories "will scrap hunting ban"

    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenAsparagus View Post
    Shooting a fox is no more cruel than eating a hamburger. You don't need to do either, but they both die for one's enjoyment. It is often an upper class hobby, but I already adressed this.
    The term fox hunting doesn't refer to just shooting a fox though. That's not what we're all talking about. Do you actually know how fox-hunts go on in the UK?
    "I'll govern for all the ambitions of Scotland, and for all of the people who imagine that we can live in a better land. This party, the Scottish party, your party, carries your hope, and we shall carry it carefully, and make the nation proud."
    Alex Salmond, First Minister of Scotland, Scottish National Party

  4. #204
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: Tories "will scrap hunting ban"

    Because you don't force it undeground, more hunters will visible to the government. As you said, people are going to do it anyway. Might as well not make all hunters criminals and mostly go after ones that seriously harm fox populations.

  5. #205
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Tories "will scrap hunting ban"

    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenAsparagus View Post
    Because you don't force it undeground, more hunters will visible to the government.
    I disagree. Most things are invisible in the countryside.

    As you said, people are going to do it anyway. Might as well not make all hunters criminals and mostly go after ones that seriously harm fox populations.
    Its far easier to ban it outright then put yourself out of your way to conduct an invistigation in the middle of no where to track down a handful of hunters who use dogs.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  6. #206
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: Tories "will scrap hunting ban"

    Quote Originally Posted by Anima View Post
    Hunting in the US is pretty disimliar to the methods of fox-hunting parties in the UK, which is what we're talking about in this thread. What we're saying here about class issues and cruelty isn't necessarily a dig at US hunters, because it's not you guys, nor your methods, that we're debating.
    The class issue stuff is just silly though, it is only the antis who try and bring class into it. It isn't even a particularly valid representation of the custom of fox hunting today.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  7. #207
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: Tories "will scrap hunting ban"

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    Registered hunters? Sure but what does that do? How can registered hunters be regulated in practice?
    Are you suggesting all hunting be banned? I can see two sides of the coins with traditional fox hunting but the idea that all hunting be banned is abhorrent, nanny-state stuff. Why not ban fishing as well or all slaughtering of animals? Sure it should be regulated so that at certain times you can only hunt certain animals and if needs be there should be permits but hunting itself sure as hell should not be banned, to do so is an egregious interference with individual freedom for political correct reasons.
    Last edited by Wessexman; 08-25-09 at 10:45 PM.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  8. #208
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Tories "will scrap hunting ban"

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    Are you suggesting all hunting be banned? I can see two sides of the coins with traditional fox hunting but the idea that all hunting be banned is abhorrent, nanny-state stuff. Why not ban fishing as well or all slaughtering of animals? Sure it should be regulated so that at certain times you can only hunt certain animals and if needs be there should be permits but hunting itself sure as hell should not be banned, to do so is an egregious interference with individual freedom for political correct reasons.
    Im not advocating all hunting should be banned. But this seems a good scenario to do it in.
    Regardless, just because its a hobby for some, doesn't justify there actions as far as im concerned. Sorry, "its part of British culture" just doesn't cut it for me.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  9. #209
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: Tories "will scrap hunting ban"

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    Im not advocating all hunting should be banned. But this seems a good scenario to do it in.
    Regardless, just because its a hobby for some, doesn't justify there actions as far as im concerned. Sorry, "its part of British culture" just doesn't cut it for me.
    And just because some people have some objections to minor violence to animals in an ancient and still important cultural practice for some communities that doesn't justify their sticking their noses in where they don't belong.

    Let's separate the issues. Banning regular hunting done in a sustainable way is just tyranny, it is an invasion of the individual's liberty for no other reason than PC objections to animals being killed -- despite the fact it is little different from the slaughterhouse. There is nothing wrong with killing an animal, particularly for food, in general. The idea I can't shoot rabbits on my own property for eating and selling is just abhorrent, something worthy of China or the EU.

    Fox hunting with hounds is different. I can see the legitimacy in some of the objections, I believe violence to the foxes should be minimised but I also recognise that to some rural communities it is a thriving tradition and key social event and that does balance out some of the objections to me. However a compromise could easily be reached if the antis were just a little more reasonable and a little less authoritarian.

    It is this sort of virulent desire by middle-class urbanites to stick their noses in as if they were our masters and show nothing but contempt and gross miscomprehension of countryfolk that makes us dig our heals in. Approach us in a reasonable and respectful way and generally you will treated likewise.
    Last edited by Wessexman; 08-25-09 at 11:06 PM.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  10. #210
    Advisor Realist1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    11-27-09 @ 09:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    537

    Re: Tories "will scrap hunting ban"

    Quote Originally Posted by Anima View Post
    If I'd actually said anything even vaguely like that, you might have a point. All I said was that criticism of the British practice of fox-hunting should not automatically be taken as criticism of hunting in other nations and hunting using other methods.
    My mistake,,,sorry.

    Take care.

Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •