Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 88

Thread: Lawyers Showed Photos of Covert CIA Officers to Guantanamo Bay Detainees

  1. #71
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Last Seen
    11-03-11 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,834

    Re: Lawyers Showed Photos of Covert CIA Officers to Guantanamo Bay Detainees

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    Got any evidence/facts to support this FALSE assertion?
    I didn't make an assertion. I said I wondered how many we've treated the same way. According to the justifications used we could say drug runners and gang members are unlawful combatants and could be detained as well

  2. #72
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Last Seen
    11-03-11 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,834

    Re: Lawyers Showed Photos of Covert CIA Officers to Guantanamo Bay Detainees


    This claim was already disproven with the NIE and multiple intelligence sources in 2002. This had already stopped being circulated. So it being in the president's state of the union address was bull****.

  3. #73
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    01-02-18 @ 07:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,689

    Re: Lawyers Showed Photos of Covert CIA Officers to Guantanamo Bay Detainees

    Quote Originally Posted by PogueMoran View Post
    This claim was already disproven with the NIE and multiple intelligence sources in 2002. This had already stopped being circulated. So it being in the president's state of the union address was bull****.
    You are wrong. In fact, the British still believe it to be true.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  4. #74
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Last Seen
    11-03-11 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,834

    Re: Lawyers Showed Photos of Covert CIA Officers to Guantanamo Bay Detainees

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    You are wrong. In fact, the British still believe it to be true.
    I'm looking at your link here from Wikipedia

    According to The Washington Post, when occupying troops found no evidence of a current nuclear program, the statement and how it came to be in the speech became a focus for critics in Washington and foreign capitals to press the case that the White House manipulated facts to take the United States to war. The Post reported, "Dozens of interviews with current and former intelligence officials and policymakers in the United States, Britain, France and Italy show that the Bush administration disregarded key information available at the time showing that the Iraq-Niger claim was highly questionable." [6] With the release of the 2002 NIE report, the Bush administration was criticized for including the statement in the State of the Union despite CIA and State Department reports questioning its veracity.

  5. #75
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    01-02-18 @ 07:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,689

    Re: Lawyers Showed Photos of Covert CIA Officers to Guantanamo Bay Detainees

    Quote Originally Posted by PogueMoran View Post
    I'm looking at your link here from Wikipedia
    Well, if the Washington Post says it, then it must be true.

    Are they talking about this 2002 NIE Report???

    A foreign government service reported that as of early 2001, Niger planned to send several tons of "pure uranium" (probably yellowcake) to Iraq. As of early 2001, Niger and Iraq reportedly were still working out arrangements for this deal, which would be for up to 500 tons of yellowcake. We do not know the status of this arrangement.
    Key Judgments (from October 2002 NIE) - Iraq's Continuing Programs for Weapons

    And from the Butler Committee:

    a. It is accepted by all parties that Iraqi officials visited Niger in 1999. b. The British government had intelligence from several different sources indicating that this visit was for the purpose of acquiring uranium. Since uranium constitutes almost three-quarters of Niger's exports, the intelligence was credible. c. The evidence was not conclusive that Iraq actually purchased, as opposed to having sought, uranium, and the British government did not claim this.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  6. #76
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Last Seen
    11-03-11 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,834

    Re: Lawyers Showed Photos of Covert CIA Officers to Guantanamo Bay Detainees

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    Well, if the Washington Post says it, then it must be true.

    Are they talking about this 2002 NIE Report???


    Key Judgments (from October 2002 NIE) - Iraq's Continuing Programs for Weapons

    And from the Butler Committee:
    Global security got it wrong. The niger claim was not apart of the key judgments section which carry greater weight. The key judgments start on page 9 of the NIE which I have posted below. The information you posted regarding that takes place on page 24 of the NIE.

    http://www.gwu.edu/%7Ensarchiv/news/...ia_declass.pdf

    Also if you read page 87 of the document you'll see information from the State Department's Bureau of Intelligence and Research stating the claims were highly dubious. At the time there was no consensus and they had been warned that the claims are not established as fact. So even less reason to use it in the State of the Union

  7. #77
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    01-02-18 @ 07:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,689

    Re: Lawyers Showed Photos of Covert CIA Officers to Guantanamo Bay Detainees

    Quote Originally Posted by PogueMoran View Post
    Global security got it wrong. The niger claim was not apart of the key judgments section which carry greater weight. The key judgments start on page 9 of the NIE which I have posted below. The information you posted regarding that takes place on page 24 of the NIE.

    http://www.gwu.edu/%7Ensarchiv/news/...ia_declass.pdf

    Also if you read page 87 of the document you'll see information from the State Department's Bureau of Intelligence and Research stating the claims were highly dubious. At the time there was no consensus and they had been warned that the claims are not established as fact. So even less reason to use it in the State of the Union
    Yeah, a document that is 95% redacted and you expect me to believe you???

    You've got to be kidding.

    But on page 25 is EXACTLY what Global Security quoted:
    Last edited by Gill; 08-25-09 at 03:49 PM.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  8. #78
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Last Seen
    11-03-11 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,834

    Re: Lawyers Showed Photos of Covert CIA Officers to Guantanamo Bay Detainees

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    Yeah, a document that is 95% redacted and you expect me to believe you???

    You've got to be kidding.

    But on page 25 is EXACTLY what Global Security quoted:
    That's whats been declassified. Again Global Security said it was a key judgment which it wasn't. Do you understand the designations?

  9. #79
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    01-02-18 @ 07:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,689

    Re: Lawyers Showed Photos of Covert CIA Officers to Guantanamo Bay Detainees

    Quote Originally Posted by PogueMoran View Post
    That's whats been declassified. Again Global Security said it was a key judgment which it wasn't. Do you understand the designations?
    You love to swat at gnats don't you???

    The Key Judgements is a summary. The details are in the report. Do YOU understand the difference????

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  10. #80
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Last Seen
    11-03-11 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,834

    Re: Lawyers Showed Photos of Covert CIA Officers to Guantanamo Bay Detainees

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    You love to swat at gnats don't you???

    The Key Judgements is a summary. The details are in the report. Do YOU understand the difference????

    The key judgments hold more weight than the rest of the document. The information from global security was not in the key judgment summary but later down in the document. Also the State Department's agency concluded that the claims were dubious further down in the document. Again as according to your original wikipedia link there was conflicting information and not enough proof to even include it in the SOTU

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •