Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 301
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Ridge accuses Bush White House of political use of terror alert system

  1. #61
    Professor
    Joe1991's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    TX
    Last Seen
    04-22-14 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,829
    Likes Received
    863 times
    Likes Given
    1858

    Re: Ridge accuses Bush White House of political use of terror alert system

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    Ridge did NOT accuse the Bush White House of political use of terror alert system.
    Politicization is exactly what it seems to be. From the book:

    Ridge writes that there was a "vigorous, some might say dramatic, discussion" about raising the threat level. He says his aides told the White House that doing so would politicize national security.

    "I believe our strong interventions had pulled the 'go-up' advocates back from the brink," Ridge writes. "But I consider the episode to be not only a dramatic moment in Washington's recent history, but another illustration of the intersection of politics, fear, credibility and security."

    "After that episode, I knew I had to follow through with my plans to leave the federal government for the private sector," Ridge, who resigned soon after the election...

  2. #62
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    04-08-14 @ 12:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,029
    Likes Received
    4446 times
    Likes Given
    3261

    Re: Ridge accuses Bush White House of political use of terror alert system

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    More speculative hyperbole from the Left. I guess you missed this part of the story so I used a much bigger crayon:

    UPDATE: Bush's former homeland security adviser, Frances Townsend, told the Associated Press today that politics never played a role in determining alert levels. She noted that in the weeks before the electio two videotapes, including one from al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden, were released that she said contained "very graphic" and "threatening" messages.

    "Never were politics ever discussed in this context in my presence," she said.

    Asked if there was any reason for Ridge to have felt pressured, Townsend told the AP: "He was certainly not pressured. And, by the way, he didn't object when it was raised and he certainly didn't object when it wasn't raised."
    Ridge's comments are speculative hyperbole???? BRILLIANT!!!!!

    No matter how many former Bush officials come out of the woodwork and tell their stories they will always end up being lying villains to you.

    You're a hilarious little guy that's for sure!

    Hi. TOGTFO.

  3. #63
    私はあなたよりも大きなペニスを持ってい る

    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:45 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    71,007
    Likes Received
    28658 times
    Likes Given
    11122
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Ridge accuses Bush White House of political use of terror alert system

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    Ridge's comments are speculative hyperbole???? BRILLIANT!!!!!

    No matter how many former Bush officials come out of the woodwork and tell their stories they will always end up being lying villains to you.

    You're a hilarious little guy that's for sure!

    Next tactic will be: but the liberals did it!

  4. #64
    Guru
    Crunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    12-21-10 @ 03:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,063
    Likes Received
    890 times
    Likes Given
    1891

    Re: Ridge accuses Bush White House of political use of terror alert system

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe1991 View Post
    Damn. I thought it was odd how after Bush was reelcted all those "terror alerts" went away.

    Seems the GOP have proven themselves to be much, much worse than anything we could have imagined.

    If history is written correctly, this will be seen as the time when the GOP lost all credibility and never, ever regained power as a party ever again.
    UPDATE: Bush's former homeland security adviser, Frances Townsend, told the Associated Press today that politics never played a role in determining alert levels. She noted that in the weeks before the electio two videotapes, including one from al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden, were released that she said contained "very graphic" and "threatening" messages.

    "Never were politics ever discussed in this context in my presence," she said.

    Asked if there was any reason for Ridge to have felt pressured, Townsend told the AP: "He was certainly not pressured. And, by the way, he didn't object when it was raised and he certainly didn't object when it wasn't raised."
    Reading comprehension problem?
    mpg likes this.

  5. #65
    私はあなたよりも大きなペニスを持ってい る

    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:45 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    71,007
    Likes Received
    28658 times
    Likes Given
    11122
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Ridge accuses Bush White House of political use of terror alert system

    Quote Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
    Reading comprehension problem?
    I would ask you the same question.

    Ridge writes that there was a "vigorous, some might say dramatic, discussion" about raising the threat level. He says his aides told the White House that doing so would politicize national security.

    "I believe our strong interventions had pulled the 'go-up' advocates back from the brink," Ridge writes. "But I consider the episode to be not only a dramatic moment in Washington's recent history, but another illustration of the intersection of politics, fear, credibility and security."

    "After that episode, I knew I had to follow through with my plans to leave the federal government for the private sector," Ridge, who resigned soon after the election...

  6. #66
    mpg
    mpg is offline
    Sage
    mpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Milford, CT
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,179
    Likes Received
    1639 times
    Likes Given
    12471

    Re: Ridge accuses Bush White House of political use of terror alert system

    Quote Originally Posted by JakeFromWI View Post
    Is this really a matter of debate? I remember being told I was unpatriotic because I didn't believe in the "War on Terror." I was literally yelled at because I was "unpatriotic." It freaking blows my mind to think people still defend Bush on the grounds that Obama is worse, when there should be serious investigations into things like this. If there are grounds for an investigation, what is wrong with an investigation, especially if the administration supposedly has nothing to worry about. Oh, because it is in the past.

    I can hire a non govt group to assassinate people, or use terror to sway the collective support for myself, or show pictures of hospitals and warehouses and call them chemical weapons factories so long as it happened in the past. Let's move on! David Berkowits might have had a great argument if he just said Ted Bundy was worse and that it's in the past.

    The law is the law...
    There's no evidence of law breaking.
    "If I disagree with your opinion, that proves that it's wrong." - 99% of the population

  7. #67
    mpg
    mpg is offline
    Sage
    mpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Milford, CT
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,179
    Likes Received
    1639 times
    Likes Given
    12471

    Re: Ridge accuses Bush White House of political use of terror alert system

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    I agree, and this type of dictatorial behaviour does seem to be a common theme under the Bush administration. I think it's important for the American people to ensure that this type of governance does not happen again, and this is why is important that the truth come out.

    As far as whether this won them the election, I don't know. I doubt it, but it still might have played a role with some folk. Historically, instilling fear in a population has proven to work.
    How could it win them the election if they never even did it? The reason I said it was serious was that I thought Ridge accused Rumsfeld and Ashcroft of overtly attempting to politicize the alert system. Now it looks like Ridge never even made that accusation. Either way, the alert level wasn't raised.
    "If I disagree with your opinion, that proves that it's wrong." - 99% of the population

  8. #68
    Sage
    Grim17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    17,506
    Likes Received
    7603 times
    Likes Given
    3784
    Blog Entries
    17

    Re: Ridge accuses Bush White House of political use of terror alert system

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    Just wondering, could you actually show us where you got those quotes?
    I got them from an article published by The American Spectator. Here is a relevant excerpt from that piece:

    In October of 2004, a videotaped message from Osama Bin Laden surfaced. There were mere days until the election. There was, of course, a Homeland Security meeting. According to Ridge, an internal consensus was reached that they did not need to raise the threat level to orange. Security was heightened already in advance of the election, but had not been officially designated as a new threat level. Then the decision was brought to a security meeting with the FBI, the State Department, the Defense Department and so on. According to Ridge, Ashcroft argues for raising the threat level, while Ridge argues against. Here is the apparent money quote:

    "I wondered, 'Is this about security or politics?'"

    He wondered. "There was no consensus reached at that session, and we took it upon ourselves to keep it that way," he concludes, which I can only assume is what we are supposed to call "thwarting" a "plan" to raise the alert level.

    It is possible, at this point, that you find none of this very definitive. But that is OK, because Tom Ridge has a definitive statement for you. Earlier in the book, addressing the allegations that political pressure had been applied to raise threat levels, Ridge has this to say:

    "Let me make it very clear. I was never directed to do so no matter how many analysts, pundits or critics say so."


    That is very clear indeed, Secretary Ridge.
    .

  9. #69
    Sage
    Oozlefinch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Near Baghdad by the Bay
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,283
    Likes Received
    6075 times
    Likes Given
    4857

    Re: Ridge accuses Bush White House of political use of terror alert system

    In Afganistan, they are comming off of heightened alert, because they raised the threat level because of the election.

    The same thing was done in Iraq.

    And I would not be surprised if President Obama has it raised in 2012 during the next election.

    Political? No. This is simply a target date that would get terrorists a greater amount of coverage of their act, and would disrupt our political process.

    Duh!

    However, the difference is that I will not be going around accusing the President of raising the level for political gains.

  10. #70
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 09:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894
    Likes Received
    12543 times
    Likes Given
    3140

    Re: Ridge accuses Bush White House of political use of terror alert system

    Quote Originally Posted by PogueMoran View Post
    They didn't have to, they instead released a months old video of Bin Laden less than a week before the election. That video is probably what killed Kerry's chances.
    This is a blatant lie.

    On October 29, 2004, at 21:00 UTC, the Arab television network, Al Jazeera, broadcast excerpts from a videotape of Osama bin Laden addressing the people of the United States

    ...

    According to the Agence France-Presse, U.S. diplomats in Qatar were given a copy of a videotape of al-Qaida leader, Osama bin Laden, before it aired on Al-Jazeera television; the diplomats unsuccessfully sought to prevent the Arabic-language network from broadcasting it.[3] The United States State Department requested that the government of Qatar (where Al Jazeera is located) discourage the station from airing the videotape, according to a senior State Department official.
    [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Osama_bin_Laden_video]2004 Osama bin Laden video - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

    The US not only had nothing to do with the release of this video, they actively tried to prevent it.

    Got any more conspiracy theories you want to throw out there?
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •