Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 301

Thread: Ridge accuses Bush White House of political use of terror alert system

  1. #111
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Ridge accuses Bush White House of political use of terror alert system

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    That's how I interpret Ridges's remarks. In the final analysis, it would be up to a jury to finally determine what the facts are....Not you or me.
    No, it wouldn't. Reread the Constitution.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  2. #112
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Masschusetts
    Last Seen
    03-01-14 @ 10:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,512

    Re: Ridge accuses Bush White House of political use of terror alert system

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    No, it wouldn't. Reread the Constitution.
    Meaningless response.

  3. #113
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Ridge accuses Bush White House of political use of terror alert system

    Quote Originally Posted by JakeFromWI View Post
    We investigated Clinton for a BJ. But it is somehow a crazy idea to investigate into things like this.
    Clinton wasn't investigated for a blow job; it was abuse of his power of office and lying under oath. I am fascinated by the continuing efforts to describe this as a mere blow job.

  4. #114
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Ridge accuses Bush White House of political use of terror alert system

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    Meaningless response.
    Show me the portion of the Constitution saying that an impeachment trial for a president is heard by a jury.

    I won't wait up.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  5. #115
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Masschusetts
    Last Seen
    03-01-14 @ 10:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,512

    Re: Ridge accuses Bush White House of political use of terror alert system

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Show me the portion of the Constitution saying that an impeachment trial for a president is heard by a jury.

    I won't wait up.
    I never claimed anything of the sort in re impeachment. Impeachment is an accusation & the removal from office "Trial" is held in the Senate.
    None of which precludes later CRIMINAL indictment & trial in a court of law for possibly the same actions. I suggest you misunderstood what I was saying, either intentionally or innocently.

  6. #116
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Ridge accuses Bush White House of political use of terror alert system

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    I never claimed anything of the sort in re impeachment. Impeachment is an accusation & the removal from office "Trial" is held in the Senate.
    None of which precludes later CRIMINAL indictment & trial in a court of law for possibly the same actions. I suggest you misunderstood what I was saying, either intentionally or innocently.
    And my point is that before it got to the point where a jury would be hearing anything, it would have to go through the Senate, so it doesn't really matter what a jury would think about treason.

    (This is assuming we're living in a fantasy world where any of this would ever happen)
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  7. #117
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Masschusetts
    Last Seen
    03-01-14 @ 10:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,512

    Re: Ridge accuses Bush White House of political use of terror alert system

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    And my point is that before it got to the point where a jury would be hearing anything, it would have to go through the Senate, so it doesn't really matter what a jury would think about treason.

    (This is assuming we're living in a fantasy world where any of this would ever happen)
    Criminal charges can be brought with or without a preceding Impeachment/Senate Trail. One is a political remedy the other is a criminal matter. 2 completely unrelated animals.

    Example:

    If Nixon hadn't resigned, he would have been found guilty in the Senate & removed from office. (That's what Goldwater et al told Nixon wehn they recommended he resign)

    After that, if Ford had pardoned him (which he gladly accepted)
    Nixon would undoubtedly have been criminally charged with any number of criminal charges & spent the rest of his life in a federal penn...where he belonged.
    Last edited by Devil505; 08-26-09 at 08:12 PM.

  8. #118
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Ridge accuses Bush White House of political use of terror alert system

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    Criminal charges can be brought with or without a preceding Impeachment/Senate Trail. One is a political remedy the other is a criminal matter. 2 completely unrelated animals.
    This is also wrong.

    The president is immune to criminal prosecution while in office. There is debate about whether it applies to the vice-president, but it's not really up for discussion as to whether the president is protected.

    Example:

    If Nixon hadn't resigned, he would have been found guilty in the Senate & removed from office. (That's what Goldwater et al told Nixon wehn they recommended he resign)

    After that, if Ford had pardoned him (which he gladly accepted)
    Nixon would undoubtedly have been criminally charged with any number of criminal charges & spent the rest of his life in a federal penn...where he belonged.
    You just argued that the president can be prosecuted even prior to impeachment, and as evidence cited the fact that if Nixon had been impeached, he could have been prosecuted.
    Last edited by RightinNYC; 08-26-09 at 08:15 PM.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  9. #119
    Sage
    mpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Milford, CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,770

    Re: Ridge accuses Bush White House of political use of terror alert system

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    It's still abuse of power, an impeachable offense & aimed at stealing an election. I call that Treason.
    Even if it actually happened it still wouldnt've been illegal.
    If you expect people to be rational, you aren't being rational.

  10. #120
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Masschusetts
    Last Seen
    03-01-14 @ 10:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,512

    Re: Ridge accuses Bush White House of political use of terror alert system

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    This is also wrong.

    The president is immune to criminal prosecution while in office. There is debate about whether it applies to the vice-president, but it's not really up for discussion as to whether the president is protected.



    You just argued that the president can be prosecuted even prior to impeachment, and as evidence cited the fact that if Nixon had been impeached, he could have been prosecuted.
    I never mentioned anything about a sitting President. Nixon had run like the thief he was.... & GW Bush & Cheney are (Thankfully) no longer in office, so whether they were impeached or not has no bearing on whether criminal charges can now be brought against them.
    Last edited by Devil505; 08-26-09 at 08:23 PM.

Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •