Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33

Thread: Rethinking strategy key to battling drugs

  1. #21
    Professor
    OxymoronP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Heart in Brooklyn, body South of Dixie
    Last Seen
    08-23-10 @ 11:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,175

    Re: Rethinking strategy key to battling drugs

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    To the presidency.

    You appear to be mistaken about Obama's stance: Drug czar: Feds won't support legalized pot - Local - fresnobee.com
    I didnt say anything about his "stance".


    THE GREATEST FREEDOM IS THE FREEDOM TO OPPRESS OTHERS

  2. #22
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: Rethinking strategy key to battling drugs

    Quote Originally Posted by Kernel Sanders View Post
    Sounds more like they're rethinking the name than the policy. I'll wait until I see just how this is different before breaking out the bubbler........I mean bubbly
    basically.

    It sounds like a few domestic tweaks such as more treatment (and the corresponding drug courts to make sure that everyone gets the treatment they deserve) instead of incarceration, and most likely a new and improved education campaign and anti youth usage initiative, yet the same laws on the books with more money towards enforcement, and a ramped up international involvent with more money backing that as well.

    The biggest change is the name. But lets see what these proposed changes will be as they are announced.. all indicators point strongly to a lot more of the same under a new label.

  3. #23
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:25 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Rethinking strategy key to battling drugs

    Quote Originally Posted by OxymoronP View Post
    I didnt say anything about his "stance".
    You said Obama was "fully behind decriminalizing drugs". That is a stance, and one you have made without offering any evidence for it. I can find no evidence you are right, and I can find evidence you are wrong.

  4. #24
    Professor
    OxymoronP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Heart in Brooklyn, body South of Dixie
    Last Seen
    08-23-10 @ 11:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,175

    Re: Rethinking strategy key to battling drugs

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    You said Obama was "fully behind decriminalizing drugs". That is a stance, and one you have made without offering any evidence for it. I can find no evidence you are right, and I can find evidence you are wrong.
    no a stance is what you put forward publicly, but based on his history and his own words he definately wants to decriminalize them.


    THE GREATEST FREEDOM IS THE FREEDOM TO OPPRESS OTHERS

  5. #25
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Rethinking strategy key to battling drugs

    Quote Originally Posted by OxymoronP View Post
    no a stance is what you put forward publicly, but based on his history and his own words he definately wants to decriminalize them.
    I would say a "stance" was what you actually thought, and that what you put forward publicly would be a "public stance".
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  6. #26
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: Rethinking strategy key to battling drugs

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    To the presidency.

    You appear to be mistaken about Obama's stance: Drug czar: Feds won't support legalized pot - Local - fresnobee.com

    Yes you are correct.. Obama's stance is that he, and consequently the federal governments position will not consider legalization.

    However, and this is likely a pipe dream (no pun intended), legalization and decriminalization are not even close to the same monster, and the door is still open there.

    But this is not the entirety of his stance on the subject.

    As Obama spokesman Nick Shapiro pointed out:

    The president believes that federal resources should not be used to circumvent state laws, and as he continues to appoint senior leadership to fill out the ranks of the federal government, he expects them to review their policies with that in mind
    Which now brings us around to your statement that you do not see MJ being legalized in the next 10 years.

    We could be seeing (state) constitutionally legal pot in Ca in as little as 3 months provided the ballot initiative in the works gets the required signatures in time for the Nov elections. (Sept. 5th for the Nov. ballot btw, otherwise in June)

    If that does not happen, there is still AB390 in Ca, as well as Ma legislation that is not dead yet either.

    A few guinea pig states and more will follow suit in short order, and this is in the next 12-18 months.
    Last edited by marduc; 08-20-09 at 11:35 PM.

  7. #27
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:25 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Rethinking strategy key to battling drugs

    Quote Originally Posted by OxymoronP View Post
    no a stance is what you put forward publicly, but based on his history and his own words he definately wants to decriminalize them.
    All the words of his I can find disagree with you. Got any sources for your claims?

  8. #28
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: Rethinking strategy key to battling drugs

    Quote Originally Posted by OxymoronP View Post
    no a stance is what you put forward publicly, but based on his history and his own words he definately wants to decriminalize them.
    his words prior to becoming president most certainly reflect a view towards decriminalization; however since he has been in office any hints of this mindset have all but been abandoned -most likely to save political capital, and not create uneeded uproars.

    Although there are no statements actually going against any potential decrim views he has, the wordings and posturing coming from the oval office have for the most part attempted to portray a contradictory message (focused on anti-legalization, while avoiding the decrim concept).

    This is part of why I take the news coming out of the name change as a very watered down pathetic attempt to distance themselves from a failed war; while pursuing basically the same tactics under a new name. The signals have been anything but consistent since he took office; although he has not actually closed the door on his previously stated views towards decriminalization.
    Last edited by marduc; 08-20-09 at 11:56 PM.

  9. #29
    King of Videos
    dirtpoorchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    WA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,023

    Re: Rethinking strategy key to battling drugs

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Which potential candidate actually supports decriminalization? I don't know of a single mainstream candidate who supports that.
    Ron Paul. Via letting states chose.
    I'm Finding it Harder to be a Gentleman, White Stripes ~ "You think I care about me and only me. When every girl needs help climbing up a tree."

  10. #30
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:25 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Rethinking strategy key to battling drugs

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtpoorchris View Post
    Ron Paul. Via letting states chose.
    Not really a mainstream candidate. Will never get the republican party nomination.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •