View Poll Results: Were Judge Keller's actions proper?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    5 31.25%
  • No.

    7 43.75%
  • Undecided.

    3 18.75%
  • Other (please elaborate).

    1 6.25%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 56

Thread: Texas Judge Goes to Trial Over Execution

  1. #31
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: Texas Judge Goes to Trial Over Execution

    Quote Originally Posted by Coronado View Post
    The crime Richard committed is essentially irrelevant. The argument is (or should be if certain demagogues would sit down and shut up) whether due process was followed.
    I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm admitting my emotional bias in this case.

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Texas Judge Goes to Trial Over Execution

    Quote Originally Posted by Coronado View Post
    The crime Richard committed is essentially irrelevant. The argument is (or should be if certain demagogues would sit down and shut up) whether due process was followed.
    The notion that due process wasn't followed based on the FACTS requires willful denial or the willful suspension of disbelief.

  3. #33
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: Texas Judge Goes to Trial Over Execution

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    The notion that due process wasn't followed based on the FACTS requires willful denial or the willful suspension of disbelief.
    Yeah, whatever.

    Does anyone have an intelligent reply?

  4. #34
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Texas Judge Goes to Trial Over Execution

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    Letís review the FACTS of this violent THUG rather than the nonsensical hyperbole of this thread:

    The crime was committed over 23 years ago.

    He was convicted and showed no remorse.

    He appealed and the appeals court upheld the conviction.

    The case went to the Supreme Court and his conviction and the issue of lethal injection was upheld.

    Now what is begging the question is why so many Liberals and perhaps SOME independents are so desperate to take the side of a convicted killer who shows no remorse?
    Because we have something called the rule of law in this country. You may have heard of it. I don't think the facts of the case were in dispute in this decision, so your rehashing them does nothing but stir up people's emotions while ignoring the law. This judge had no authority that trumps the Supreme Court's authority. Whatever YOU think of this particular defendant or the Supreme Court's decision to temporarily suspend lethal injection is irrelevant.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  5. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Texas Judge Goes to Trial Over Execution

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    Okay, facts are now labeled as "straw man" issues.

    His guilt and attempts to game the system are certainly at issue and the notion that this Judge was not operating within the law requires willful denial or willful ignorance.

    Not at all. The real FACTS here are that his guilt was not at stake here when this event occurred. The FACTS here are that there are procedures and practices in place that help to circumvent the death of an innocent man and to give all men, guilty and innocent, equal and fair access to the justice system.

    This judge decided, in the most cavalier and inconsistent manner, to override those practices. Now whether he had been guilty or innocent and no matter what emotional response you have to his crimes, the law does not have an emotional response. The law is passionless but fair. The law is without feeling, but equal.

    Those are the FACTS in play here. carry on.

  6. #36
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Texas Judge Goes to Trial Over Execution

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Because we have something called the rule of law in this country.You may have heard of it. I don't think the facts of the case were in dispute in this decision, so your rehashing them does nothing but stir up people's emotions while ignoring the law.
    What law did the judge break? Coronado claims in post 8 of this thread that the only thing the judge did was not follow some unwritten policy of staying open late. Since when is unwritten policy a law?
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  7. #37
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Texas Judge Goes to Trial Over Execution

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    What law did the judge break? Coronado claims in post 8 of this thread that the only thing the judge did was not follow some unwritten policy of staying open late. Since when is unwritten policy a law?
    An unwritten policy is most definitely legally binding, if one party (the defense attorneys) had no reason to believe that the previous policy would not continue to hold in THIS case. If the judge wanted to change the custom, the burden was on HER to notify all the parties involved well in advance that the court would start closing at 5, and no extensions would be granted.

    Furthermore, even if this custom did not exist, denying a death row inmate access to legal counsel during his final hours is most definitely unconstitutional. It denies him due process.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 08-20-09 at 09:03 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  8. #38
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Texas Judge Goes to Trial Over Execution

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    oh boy. this was effectively murder, imo.
    No, it was not even remotely close to murder.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Because we have something called the rule of law in this country. You may have heard of it. I don't think the facts of the case were in dispute in this decision, so your rehashing them does nothing but stir up people's emotions while ignoring the law. This judge had no authority that trumps the Supreme Court's authority. Whatever YOU think of this particular defendant or the Supreme Court's decision to temporarily suspend lethal injection is irrelevant.
    The SC granting cert in one particular DP case does not automatically cause a stay in all other cases. You have to file papers applying for a stay. These are simple, simple, simple papers. The convict's attorneys had at least 6 hours to put those together and hand them in.

    Furthermore, because the SC was only reviewing lethal injection, they could have taken him out back and fried him and he would have had no grounds to complain.

    Furthermore, the decision eventually upheld the lethal injection, 7-2. That means that even if this guy had had his stay, he would have been done for anyways.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    An unwritten policy is most definitely legally binding, if one party (the defense attorneys) had no reason to believe that the previous policy would not continue to hold in THIS case. If the judge wanted to change the custom, the burden was on HER to notify all the parties involved well in advance that the court would start closing at 5, and no extensions would be granted.

    Furthermore, even if this custom did not exist, denying a death row inmate access to legal counsel during his final hours is most definitely unconstitutional. It denies him due process.
    They did not deny him counsel or due process.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  9. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Texas Judge Goes to Trial Over Execution

    Quote Originally Posted by Coronado View Post
    Yeah, whatever.

    Does anyone have an intelligent reply?
    This presumes you could recognize intelligence if it walked up slapped you up side your noggin.

  10. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Texas Judge Goes to Trial Over Execution

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    Not at all. The real FACTS here are that his guilt was not at stake here when this event occurred. The FACTS here are that there are procedures and practices in place that help to circumvent the death of an innocent man and to give all men, guilty and innocent, equal and fair access to the justice system.

    This judge decided, in the most cavalier and inconsistent manner, to override those practices. Now whether he had been guilty or innocent and no matter what emotional response you have to his crimes, the law does not have an emotional response. The law is passionless but fair. The law is without feeling, but equal.

    Those are the FACTS in play here. carry on.
    I see that you find the FACTS in this case elusive. Go back and read the case and the links. As RightinNY stated, there was no effort to deny this thug his day in court. This is a pathetic effort to divine some legal right that was never denied.

    How fascinating it is to watch your further descent into mindless trolling.


Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •