Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 115

Thread: AARP loses members over health care stance

  1. #81
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: AARP loses members over health care stance

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    The rest of this post we are obviously not going to agree on so I am just going to focus on this last part.

    It was from a pool of 87 quotes in the Kansas City area. The assumption was for a 63 year old non-smoking couple in good health. Now you know as well as me that you are not going to get equivalent coverage in the private sector to medicare for a 65 year old couple for 400 or 500 dollars a month. You might get a catastrophic only 5000 dollar deductible plan for that kind of money at that age, but that is not equivalent coverage to Medicare. You are letting your personal ideology get in the way of reason and common sense there. For that kind of coverage a 65 year old couple is looking at a grand a month at least and its only going to go up as they get older.
    It isn't ideology, I am an agent and have seen the numbers, Medicare has some good coverage, but there are some good private plans that cover as well or better, the problem with Medicare is it has a lot of gaps, it is terrific if you are in decent health, but unless that is the case and you can find a good supplemental, your chances of a financial problem on Medicare are good, whereas the private plans would cover that area well, the biggest consideration is, at that age, why someone wouldn't have some kind of coverage to begin with, insurability isn't some kind of gray area thing, it is a process that takes place over a lifetime, so I don't buy it outright, though I will concede that you Have done some good groundwork for this particular point.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  2. #82
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: AARP loses members over health care stance

    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke[MaxX] View Post
    K. At this rate, it'll take oh... around 7 months for it to reach one percent? *Yawn* let me know when 1% represents the majority of members of a particular group. And in addition, as bad as it to say, how many members of the AARP are dying every month of natural causes? Heck they might represent a larger percentage of the AARP than the subset that's leaving.
    If you were the president of AARP, would you be more concerned that an average of 60,000 members died each month, or that 60,000 members each month were fed up with the organizations policies and quit??

    We both know the answer to that don't we?

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  3. #83
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: AARP loses members over health care stance

    obama was elected on the promise of healthcare reform, in part. and it's pretty funny that medicare (gov't program) recipients are worried about cuts........quite hypocritical.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  4. #84
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: AARP loses members over health care stance

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    obama was elected on the promise of healthcare reform, in part. and it's pretty funny that medicare (gov't program) recipients are worried about cuts........quite hypocritical.
    How can that possibly be hypocritical???

    Did he announce during his campaign that he was going to cut medicare?

    They are against his health care reforms because they know that health care will be rationed under his plan and they will get the short end of the stick.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  5. #85
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Last Seen
    11-03-11 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,834

    Re: AARP loses members over health care stance

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    Oh my... Now even CBS News is reporting on this.

    All you need is the NY Times to weigh in, and AARP is a dead duck.

    I just glad to see that seniors are figuring out what us conservatives figured out a long time ago... That the AARP is a far left liberal organization, therefore, could care less about anything but their political agenda.

    .
    Grim did you read the original article that was posted? At the bottom of the article which came from AP was a note saying they drew their information from the CBS article. Do any of these organizations do any reporting or do they just repeat the same stuff the other paper says?

    The CBS article looks like a free plug for the ASA. According to the ASA supposedly 60,000 quit AARP. Now for an organization like ASA that was little known and has had problems for years recruiting I'd call this report goofy. Did the article mention that ASA is doing a deal where if you sign up you get a year free? This would explain some influx of members. What evidence do they have that members of AARP aren't renewing with AARP while also signing up with ASA. Again the article fails to cite where it got its numbers AARP does not say itself that they've lost that amount of members. Bad reporting.

  6. #86
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: AARP loses members over health care stance

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Don't bring the military into it, that's another animal.
    That's still socialized medicine.

    Yes Medicare is socialized, but it is not the same program being trotted through Congress right now, so let's concentrate on one program at a time.
    Except that's not what the GOP is doing. SD is dead on the money that those who piss and moan about socialized medicine while using Medicare are giant flaming hypocrites. Furthermore, ever Republican in Congress who pisses about socialized medicine is a giant hypocrite. They got no problem using it themselves, but when others want it, the sky is falling. The level of honesty there is not measurable. The GOP is essentially playing class warfare here, pitting the young and relatively poor against the old.

    You had 40 years to debate Medicare, but you choose now to do so. Your point? Maybe you'd like to discuss Social Security now too, as a whole?
    How is this a discussion on me? I asked you HOW SD was wrong. Did you answer? Of course not. You're American. You NEVER back your statements up. Typical. And Medicare/Aid are broken on the finances and Social Security, which in premise is not a bad idea has allowed Americans to ignore their own savings.

    But the point still is, if you use socialized medicine, you are a hypocrite for arguing against it. Do you have a reply to that or are you going to weasel out of that subject which was the reason I posted.

    And you don't actually reply to what you quoted nor ever back your statements up.

    Again HOW is SD wrong?

    Is he wrong? Or are you just going to make snide commentary as usual adding nothing to the discussion?
    Don't make me quote that again.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  7. #87
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,419

    Re: AARP loses members over health care stance

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    How can that possibly be hypocritical???

    Did he announce during his campaign that he was going to cut medicare?

    They are against his health care reforms because they know that health care will be rationed under his plan and they will get the short end of the stick.
    No one is proposing any Medicare benefit cuts. The cuts in Medicare spending have to do with waste, fraud, and abuse, not benefit cuts.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  8. #88
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: AARP loses members over health care stance

    I thought Medicare was waste, fraud and abuse. j/k
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  9. #89
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: AARP loses members over health care stance

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    No one is proposing any Medicare benefit cuts. The cuts in Medicare spending have to do with waste, fraud, and abuse, not benefit cuts.
    Of course no one is proposing cuts, but they are inevitable under this plan.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  10. #90
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Last Seen
    11-03-11 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,834

    Re: AARP loses members over health care stance

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    Of course no one is proposing cuts, but they are inevitable under this plan.
    Again this is becoming just as absurd as the death panel claim or the new one about the death books for vets. I could pretty much say that about anything in the bill. It's inevitable that we'll have forced boobjobs hey its not in the bill but its inevitable under this plan.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •