Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 38

Thread: Former Gov. Dean calls public option indispensable

  1. #21
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,137

    Re: Former Gov. Dean calls public option indispensable

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Hold on, may've misread. so you're saying all the democrats really do want it, just that there are essentially ones that are being pussies? That's why you think its not happening? You don't think its potentially because they simply disagree with the others in their parties means of "reform"?

    That pretty much sums it up. There are a handful of spineless Democrats that are too afraid to take a stand for something that is even slightly controversial.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  2. #22
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,552

    Re: Former Gov. Dean calls public option indispensable

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    That pretty much sums it up. There are a handful of spineless Democrats that are too afraid to take a stand for something that is even slightly controversial.



    weren't you all gloaty about yor dems a couple weeks ago.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  3. #23
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,137

    Re: Former Gov. Dean calls public option indispensable

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    weren't you all gloaty about yor dems a couple weeks ago.
    What are you talking about. I haven't been a big fan of the Democrats for a few years now. I take what I can get....and the Dems are the best right now that is out there. (You've been around here long enough to know that)

    I'm also realistic. The reality of the Democratic party (or any other party for that matter) promoting the type of agenda that I would like to see is highly unlikely.

    I would like the Dems, however, to take a page from the GOP and actually pass some legislation without worrying about appealing to the other side or the right-leaning moderates.

    The Democrats need to learn to take a principled stand, not just try to appeal to the middle. I would rather the Democrats take a principled stand and fail than to compromise and give us a watered down version.
    That's what happened with Clinton and "gays in the military" and what we ended up with was "DADT"....and we all know how great that turned out.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  4. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tiamat's better half
    Last Seen
    10-28-11 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,998

    Re: Former Gov. Dean calls public option indispensable

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    We don't have to pay for others who smoked all thier lives..... for example of cours aps.
    Wouldn't you buy into the public option?

  5. #25
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,552

    Re: Former Gov. Dean calls public option indispensable

    Quote Originally Posted by talloulou View Post
    Wouldn't you buy into the public option?




    If I was forced to pay higher corporate taxes i'd axe my very generous health plan for my employees and tell em to get the "free" obamacare.


    but no, I have a very very comprehensive plan. I have no desire to downgrade.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tiamat's better half
    Last Seen
    10-28-11 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,998

    Re: Former Gov. Dean calls public option indispensable

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    If I was forced to pay higher corporate taxes i'd axe my very generous health plan for my employees and tell em to get the "free" obamacare.


    but no, I have a very very comprehensive plan. I have no desire to downgrade.
    It wouldn't be free. They would have to buy the public option.

    My husband owns his own small business. The plans that we can buy, the ones that are available in this area for small employers, are crap. We have a high deductible plan combined with a health savings account. So basically for our family we pay close to $500 a month for a plan that doesn't kick in till we've met a $5000 a year deductible (haven't ever met in 5 years). So we pay $500 a month in the off chance that there's an expensive medical crisis emergency with one of us. Then we pay 100% of all our medical costs. It's outrageous but that's what's available to us, here. That's us.

    Now let's look at my parents. My stepfather has a chronic issue with his arteries. Heart issues run in his family. His heart is healthy but he has abnormally small arteries and needs to have this routine blood thing done where blood is drawn out of him, they do crap to it-I don't know) and then put it back in. This condition makes him virtually impossible to insure with any new insurance company due to pre-existing condition laws. He is currently insured through my mom's work. She can never switch jobs or lose her current job because if that were to happen he would never be picked up by a new insurance. They would ALL turn him down. That's insanity.

    If folks have to pay for the public option -just as folks pay for private options- then am I crazy for thinking it might be a good thing? If there was a decently priced, easily accessible public option it would cause the private options to become more competitively priced as well.

    I'm sure ultimately this would lead to many employers advising their employees to go on the public plan. I'm also sure as a result many private companies would fail and close up shop. But, so?

    My biggest fear would be that year to year more and more folks would be added to the list of folks who get the "public" option for free. Bigger welfare. However if they can keep that from happening and folks are simply paying for the public option I think it's worth trying.

  7. #27
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,137

    Re: Former Gov. Dean calls public option indispensable

    Quote Originally Posted by talloulou View Post
    It wouldn't be free. They would have to buy the public option.

    My husband owns his own small business. The plans that we can buy, the ones that are available in this area for small employers, are crap. We have a high deductible plan combined with a health savings account. So basically for our family we pay close to $500 a month for a plan that doesn't kick in till we've met a $5000 a year deductible (haven't ever met in 5 years). So we pay $500 a month in the off chance that there's an expensive medical crisis emergency with one of us. Then we pay 100% of all our medical costs. It's outrageous but that's what's available to us, here. That's us.

    Now let's look at my parents. My stepfather has a chronic issue with his arteries. Heart issues run in his family. His heart is healthy but he has abnormally small arteries and needs to have this routine blood thing done where blood is drawn out of him, they do crap to it-I don't know) and then put it back in. This condition makes him virtually impossible to insure with any new insurance company due to pre-existing condition laws. He is currently insured through my mom's work. She can never switch jobs or lose her current job because if that were to happen he would never be picked up by a new insurance. They would ALL turn him down. That's insanity.

    If folks have to pay for the public option -just as folks pay for private options- then am I crazy for thinking it might be a good thing? If there was a decently priced, easily accessible public option it would cause the private options to become more competitively priced as well.

    I'm sure ultimately this would lead to many employers advising their employees to go on the public plan. I'm also sure as a result many private companies would fail and close up shop. But, so?

    My biggest fear would be that year to year more and more folks would be added to the list of folks who get the "public" option for free. Bigger welfare. However if they can keep that from happening and folks are simply paying for the public option I think it's worth trying.

    Wow....a Conservative that is talking sense. I'm impressed Talloulou. Truly.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  8. #28
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,552

    Re: Former Gov. Dean calls public option indispensable

    Quote Originally Posted by talloulou View Post
    It wouldn't be free. They would have to buy the public option.

    Are you sure. I thought it was to be provided?


    My husband owns his own small business. The plans that we can buy, the ones that are available in this area for small employers, are crap. We have a high deductible plan combined with a health savings account. So basically for our family we pay close to $500 a month for a plan that doesn't kick in till we've met a $5000 a year deductible (haven't ever met in 5 years). So we pay $500 a month in the off chance that there's an expensive medical crisis emergency with one of us. Then we pay 100% of all our medical costs. It's outrageous but that's what's available to us, here. That's us.

    Heres how I do, tell your husband to consider this. I was a little off when I said I provide a very generous plan. What I actually do, is I pay my employees $500 extra to find there own plan. They somehow, banded together and got a horizon bcbs plan that allows them a no referall based something or other, that is far better than what I could offer....


    They love it. Basically, my policy is "here is your salary and here is the extra I add as allowance for you to get you own health care. My overhead is smaller, and thier benefits are higher, or if they so choose, pocket the money....


    I feel people are responsible for themselves... and they appreciate it... If you want more details for your husband, pm me... It saves a little money, but a large headache.... Trust me...




    Now let's look at my parents. My stepfather has a chronic issue with his arteries. Heart issues run in his family. His heart is healthy but he has abnormally small arteries and needs to have this routine blood thing done where blood is drawn out of him, they do crap to it-I don't know) and then put it back in. This condition makes him virtually impossible to insure with any new insurance company due to pre-existing condition laws. He is currently insured through my mom's work. She can never switch jobs or lose her current job because if that were to happen he would never be picked up by a new insurance. They would ALL turn him down. That's insanity.
    I agree. I think that once you have set insurance, you should be able to keep it. This is reform I am all for. there needs to be an individual based level playing field...


    I wish your father in law, best of health btw.....




    If folks have to pay for the public option -just as folks pay for private options- then am I crazy for thinking it might be a good thing? If there was a decently priced, easily accessible public option it would cause the private options to become more competitively priced as well.

    No, you are not crazy, but I think sometimes the "cure" is worse than the disease..... Once you reduce it to the lowest common demoninator, unless you step dad is the #1 case of artery disease, he's got to wait in line. When there is market competition, he's in my opinion has a better chance of making it....





    I'm sure ultimately this would lead to many employers advising their employees to go on the public plan. I'm also sure as a result many private companies would fail and close up shop. But, so?

    So?


    Think about it, Microsoft sucks, it makes me and my company millions of dollars a year because it sucks. It lacks true competition.... Imagine this with your healthcare... What will ultimatley happen is there will be addemndum plans for the rich like me, and DMV care for everyone else. There will be a net loss with obamacare....




    My biggest fear would be that year to year more and more folks would be added to the list of folks who get the "public" option for free. Bigger welfare. However if they can keep that from happening and folks are simply paying for the public option I think it's worth trying.

    You know government, you know about entitlements, when has any of it ever decreased?
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  9. #29
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,552

    Re: Former Gov. Dean calls public option indispensable

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Wow....a Conservative that is talking sense. I'm impressed Talloulou. Truly.



    very shallow. There are many issues, that if you were not a left wing apparachik... (I hope you didnt take that as a personal attack, I am being a little light with you, as even though you are a kook in my eyes, you are far more respectable than many in the present lot. )...... you would see that needed to be answered. take my post address its issues, then make your one liner, otherwise, it is rather irrellevant my left wing friend!
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  10. #30
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,137

    Re: Former Gov. Dean calls public option indispensable

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    very shallow. There are many issues, that if you were not a left wing apparachik... (I hope you didnt take that as a personal attack, I am being a little light with you, as even though you are a kook in my eyes, you are far more respectable than many in the present lot. )...... you would see that needed to be answered. take my post address its issues, then make your one liner, otherwise, it is rather irrellevant my left wing friend!
    If you noticed....I was referring to Talloulou's post and giving her some props. (Let me give you one small piece of friendly advice -It isn't always about you Rev....)
    Last edited by disneydude; 08-18-09 at 04:23 PM.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •