Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 111

Thread: White House appears ready to drop 'public option'

  1. #31
    Hard As A Rock
    Strucky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Last Seen
    10-19-17 @ 08:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,074

    Re: White House appears ready to drop 'public option'

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    A president who can compromise and admit when he is wrong is better than one who doggedly sticks to his view and doesn't give others a look in.
    He should've admitted he was wrong long before he looked at his sinking poll numbers.
    "The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without."

    ~Dwight D. Eisenhower

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tiamat's better half
    Last Seen
    10-28-11 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,998

    Re: White House appears ready to drop 'public option'

    Moderator's Warning:
    White House appears ready to drop 'public option'threads merged.

  3. #33
    Educator nerv14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    02-07-11 @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    601

    Re: White House appears ready to drop 'public option'

    Untill there is more detail about this non public-plan healthcare, or the current healthcare plans, I don't see how Obama is giving into anything by considering different programs. As long as they accomplish what he wants, of lower costs and insuring more people, then he is sticking with his goal.

    I think it is very good that Obama seems to be concerned with getting a good end result to healthcare reform, and is less concerned about which plan will be used to achieve that.

  4. #34
    Sage

    Donc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    out yonder
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,427

    Re: White House appears ready to drop 'public option'

    Back to square one.

    <Administration Official: "Sebelius Misspoke.">

    <An administration official said tonight that Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius "misspoke" when she told CNN this morning that a government run health insurance option "is not an essential part" of reform. This official asked not to be identified in exchange for providing clarity about the intentions of the President. The official said that the White House did not intend to change its messaging and that Sebelius simply meant to echo the president, who has acknowledged that the public option is a tough sell in the Senate and is, at the same time, a must-pass for House Democrats, and is not, in the president's view, the most important element of the reform package.

    A second official, Linda Douglass, director of health reform communications for the administration, said that President Obama believed that a public option was the best way to reduce costs and promote competition among insurance companies, that he had not backed away from that belief, and that he still wanted to see a public option in the final bill.>

    Administration Official: "Sebelius Misspoke." - The Atlantic Politics Channel
    The haggardness of poverty is everywhere seen contrasted with the sleekness of wealth, the exhorted labor of some compensating for the idleness of others, wretched hovels by the side of stately colonnades, the rags of indigence blended with the ensigns of opulence; in a word, the most useless profusion in the midst of the most urgent wants.Jean-Baptiste Say

  5. #35
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: White House appears ready to drop 'public option'

    Quote Originally Posted by donc View Post
    Back to square one.

    <Administration Official: "Sebelius Misspoke.">

    <An administration official said tonight that Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius "misspoke" when she told CNN this morning that a government run health insurance option "is not an essential part" of reform. This official asked not to be identified in exchange for providing clarity about the intentions of the President. The official said that the White House did not intend to change its messaging and that Sebelius simply meant to echo the president, who has acknowledged that the public option is a tough sell in the Senate and is, at the same time, a must-pass for House Democrats, and is not, in the president's view, the most important element of the reform package.
    Hmm.....walking back the walk back.

    Sounds like Dear Leader's getting an earful from both sides in the Anti-Republican civil war.

    This doesn't help him. In fact, it's worse than if he'd just stuck to his guns on the public option in the first place. The John Kerry two-step of being for the public option after being against it, but that was only after he was for it, does not look anything remotely like someone who's in control of either the message or even his own messengers.

    Regardless of what one believes about the merits and demerits of the public option, this makes the White House appear disorganized and chaotic on healthcare.
    Last edited by celticlord; 08-17-09 at 01:02 AM.

  6. #36
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: White House appears ready to drop 'public option'

    Quote Originally Posted by nerv14 View Post
    Untill there is more detail about this non public-plan healthcare, or the current healthcare plans, I don't see how Obama is giving into anything by considering different programs. As long as they accomplish what he wants, of lower costs and insuring more people, then he is sticking with his goal.

    I think it is very good that Obama seems to be concerned with getting a good end result to healthcare reform, and is less concerned about which plan will be used to achieve that.
    If the house had passed, and the senate approved the bill as is they were pushing he would have signed it.

    Without blinking an eye. NEVER forget that.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  7. #37
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: White House appears ready to drop 'public option'

    she said it
    she said it not
    she said it
    she said it not...

    the point---she said it, ms sebelius

    and even if she didn't, it's dead

    the public option is dead

    it's replacement is CO OP, washington's newest buzzword

    because, mr conrad, key player in baucus' gateway, senate finance, leader of the blue contingent of the Ubiquitous Six, said this morning on fns---"we don't have the votes for a public option, we never had the votes for a public option"

    they never had the votes for a public option

    thus, it doesn't really matter what ms hhs says

    except, the white house looks so stupid

    and petal pulling little-girlish

    the option's dead
    the option's alive
    the option's dead...

    baucus has been trying to tell the white house since mid june---the votes for public option don't exist

    the mathematician, elmendorf, cbo boss, has been saying since july 16---the numbers just aren't there for public option

    ms mccaskill on tuesday just to get outta the gym alive had to scream at the top of her microphone to be heard---IT'S NOT ON THE TABLE, IT'S NOT GONNA BE ON THE TABLE

    conrad, dorgan, lincoln, landrieu, mccaskill, both nelsons, bayh, quite a few others---they will NOT vote for a public option, i guarantee it, i watch these things very close

    quit SWEATING it---the public option is dead

    move on to CO OP's

    the white house already has

    they might SAY this or that, they may even hold a pretty rally

    (actually he's going on vacation now for 10 days)

    but dick durbin said it last sunday---the WHIP from illinois is "open" to "cutting" the option

    there ya go

    so, health care sans option, what's that look like?

    that's what you need ask yourself

    i'll tell you soon the answer

    in the meantime, know this---the LEFT is gonna throw quite a TANTRUM

    cliff

  8. #38
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: White House appears ready to drop 'public option'

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    in the meantime, know this---the LEFT is gonna throw quite a TANTRUM
    That they will.....that they will.

    Indeed, some are already starting to do just that:
    White House backs away from public health care option - Carrie Budoff Brown - POLITICO.com
    One diarist on the Daily Kos said the “public option is in the ICU. ... When you call something that once was the central tenet of reform is now a ‘sliver,’ it is very difficult to argue it is not being de-emphasized.” Another diarist wrote this headline: “Told you so: Public Option, Meet Underside of Bus.”

  9. #39
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: White House appears ready to drop 'public option'

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    Hmm.....walking back the walk back.

    Sounds like Dear Leader's getting an earful from both sides in the Anti-Republican civil war.

    This doesn't help him. In fact, it's worse than if he'd just stuck to his guns on the public option in the first place. The John Kerry two-step of being for the public option after being against it, but that was only after he was for it, does not look anything remotely like someone who's in control of either the message or even his own messengers.

    Regardless of what one believes about the merits and demerits of the public option, this makes the White House appear disorganized and chaotic on healthcare.
    I guess Sebelius drew the short straw on that one. I bet she's happy the administration chose her to throw under the bus.

  10. #40
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: White House appears ready to drop 'public option'

    Quote Originally Posted by Coronado View Post
    I guess Sebelius drew the short straw on that one. I bet she's happy the administration chose her to throw under the bus.
    I'm waiting for when it's Rahm's turn to get treadmarks on his back. Which, from what I'm seeing in the papers, may be happening sooner rather than later.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •