Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 133

Thread: Report: Economists Say Recession Over, Want Bernanke to Stay

  1. #61
    Walk with me in hell.
    stekim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    09-21-10 @ 12:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,106

    Re: Report: Economists Say Recession Over, Want Bernanke to Stay

    Quote Originally Posted by tlmorg02 View Post
    Go to google and enter stimulus to prevent next depression and there are thousands of hits. Sometimes because you say so, doesn't make it true.

    Show my a link. That way I know what the hell you are talking about.
    Wow. Am I awesome or what?

  2. #62
    Guru
    tlmorg02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Louisville, Ky
    Last Seen
    07-23-15 @ 11:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,347

    Re: Report: Economists Say Recession Over, Want Bernanke to Stay

    Quote Originally Posted by stekim View Post
    Show my a link. That way I know what the hell you are talking about.
    Here bro:

    Another Great Depression?

    Utlimately though, I think you and I are arguing semantics. Regardless what you call it, the stimulus was set to stimulate the economy to prevent further failure in the economy.

  3. #63
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Report: Economists Say Recession Over, Want Bernanke to Stay

    Quote Originally Posted by stekim View Post
    Recessions are not defined by the unemployment rate. So your post is meaningless.
    Tell that to the unemployed....
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  4. #64
    Walk with me in hell.
    stekim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    09-21-10 @ 12:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,106

    Re: Report: Economists Say Recession Over, Want Bernanke to Stay

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Tell that to the unemployed....

    I will! Because it's a fact.

    Even in a booming economy some people are unemployed. And I'll be happy to tell them the ecomony is booming. The circumstances of any individual person or company is not related to economic strength or weakness.
    Wow. Am I awesome or what?

  5. #65
    Walk with me in hell.
    stekim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    09-21-10 @ 12:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,106

    Re: Report: Economists Say Recession Over, Want Bernanke to Stay

    Quote Originally Posted by tlmorg02 View Post
    Utlimately though, I think you and I are arguing semantics. Regardless what you call it, the stimulus was set to stimulate the economy to prevent further failure in the economy.
    I can go with that.
    Wow. Am I awesome or what?

  6. #66
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Report: Economists Say Recession Over, Want Bernanke to Stay

    Quote Originally Posted by stekim View Post
    I will! Because it's a fact.

    Even in a booming economy some people are unemployed. And I'll be happy to tell them the ecomony is booming. The circumstances of any individual person or company is not related to economic strength or weakness.
    well DUH, but we are not talking about individuals....
    when the unemployment rate gets back to what economists like to think of as normal, the recession is over. Certainly it should be less than 7 percent before we start saying the economy is healthy again.
    A healthy economy needs consumers, and even those who are not suffering now are wary of what might happen tomorrow, to them individually and to all of us collectivley.
    If the American people are half as smart as I think they are, there will be precious little dabbling (investing) on Wall Street for a long time to come.
    Finanicers and our elected officials, are supposedly educated and sophisticated enough to know how to run the country and the economy, and we SHOULD be able to trust them. But betrayal of the public trust has become almost the norm for those people. The rest of us will not soon forget....
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  7. #67
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Masschusetts
    Last Seen
    03-01-14 @ 10:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,512

    Re: Report: Economists Say Recession Over, Want Bernanke to Stay

    Ultimately it's always the same ridiculous, partisan refrain wafting up form the right-wing gutter :

    Bush & the Repubs deserve no blame for any of their vast array of failures & Obama & the Dems deserve no praise for any of their successes. (The only one's who don't buy that argument are the vast majority of American voters....but who cares about THEM anyway?....Certainly not the Republican party.)

  8. #68
    Walk with me in hell.
    stekim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    09-21-10 @ 12:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,106

    Re: Report: Economists Say Recession Over, Want Bernanke to Stay

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    well DUH, but we are not talking about individuals....
    Who are the unemployed if they are not individuals?

    when the unemployment rate gets back to what economists like to think of as normal, the recession is over.
    Factually not true. Recessions are not defined by when we reach "normal" employment. In fact, we had "normal" employment for quite some time after the recession started in December 2007.

    If the American people are half as smart as I think they are, there will be precious little dabbling (investing) on Wall Street for a long time to come.
    If you noticed the market has been rallying. Which says what? People are, in fact, investing. So it looks like that thought is out the window.
    Last edited by stekim; 08-13-09 at 12:01 PM.
    Wow. Am I awesome or what?

  9. #69
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Report: Economists Say Recession Over, Want Bernanke to Stay

    Quote Originally Posted by stekim View Post
    If you noticed the market has been rallying. Which says what? People are, in fact, investing. So it looks like that thought is out the window.
    I've also noticed that the housing market has picked up in my community, after being really stagnant. People are actually buying houses again, which means that they believe that the prices have bottomed out and are headed up again.

  10. #70
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Masschusetts
    Last Seen
    03-01-14 @ 10:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,512

    Re: Report: Economists Say Recession Over, Want Bernanke to Stay

    Let's try to keep things simple here:

    Good economic news is Good for our country but very bad for the GOP. (therefore they will keep praying for another depression)

    Bad economic news (which kind stopped right after GW Bush left town) is BAD for our country but great for the GOP



    Therefore ( end of the logical syllogism)

    What's good for our country is bad for the GOP & what's good for the GOP is bad for our country.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •