Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 204

Thread: GM: Volt will get 230 miles per gallon

  1. #141
    Advisor Rightwingnutjob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    09-05-10 @ 04:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    420

    Re: GM: Volt will get 230 miles per gallon

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    People, do we really have to keep making comments like this? You conservatives are always the fastest to scream about how you can spend your money how you damn well please. Some people care about the environment more than you do, but "liberals" don't hold the extreme view that you guys keep assigning to us. "We should take significant steps to minimize our emissions of CO2 because the long-term problems are significant" is not the same thing as "STOP ALL FOSSIL FUELS TOMORROW **** THE ECONOMY **** EATING FOOD WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE IF WE DON'T"
    I'm a biology major (only 1 semester left to complete it) so I feel fairly informed on the subject. Since I feel lumped into "you conservatives," I'm going to step outside of your steriotype and explain my view on the subject.

    1) Global Warming (Climate change, w/e) DOES exist.

    2) Ozone Depletion IS real.

    3) We don't have the technology or the the resources (financial or otherwise) to put a quick end to extreme hydrocarbon usage. Hydrocarbons are important in almost everything, from fuels to plastics. Hydrocarbon chains are used in practically everything and are even release in flatulance.

    4) We should increase domestic drilling. This will decrease our reliance on foreign, terrorist countries who likely are less green than we are in drilling.

    5) The market will eventually demand (and currently this is starting to increase) more 'green' vehicles. You can already see the effects here. The capitalist way states that when there is a deman companies will try to create a supply. In this way we will slowly work toward green energies anyway. When 'green' energy becomes cheaper, and I believe it will at some point with the huge demand we have for fossil fuels, the demand for green energy will increase and companies will work toward increasing their supply.


    So hows that coming from a, "you conservative"?

    Oh and to add a fact, CO2 isn't the only problem with car emissions from gasoline and diesel engines. SOx and NOx also pose a significant problem (released from vehicles and factories). There are other contributors too, of course.
    Last edited by Rightwingnutjob; 08-02-10 at 05:44 PM.

  2. #142
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:24 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,432

    Re: GM: Volt will get 230 miles per gallon

    Quote Originally Posted by Rightwingnutjob View Post
    Yes, being 'green' is all the rage these days. CFL bulbs that use less electricity but are filled with mercury, Cars that run on batteries, which certainly aren't good for the environment, solar panels made of 'evil' hydrocarbons etc. But yes, as you say, one's image definitely plays a factor. If I want to look good in a car I'm getting a fast convertible for cheaper than that slow hunk of junk (in my opinion).
    I would go a BMW 335 coupe before the Volt, and perhaps a 500cc motorcycle to save on gas
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  3. #143
    Advisor Rightwingnutjob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    09-05-10 @ 04:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    420

    Re: GM: Volt will get 230 miles per gallon

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tammerlain View Post
    I would go a BMW 335 coupe before the Volt, and perhaps a 500cc motorcycle to save on gas
    Ahh yes, once I'm out of college with a steady job, I'll be grabbing a motorcycle. I've always wanted one!

  4. #144
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: GM: Volt will get 230 miles per gallon

    Let us assume for the moment that all of the gasoline powered vehicles on the road were replaced by electric vehicles over a span of, say 10 years.

    How much electricity is needed to 'fuel' the the daily communte in just the greater LA area, and how do we generate it?

  5. #145
    Advisor Rightwingnutjob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    09-05-10 @ 04:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    420

    Re: GM: Volt will get 230 miles per gallon

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Let us assume for the moment that all of the gasoline powered vehicles on the road were replaced by electric vehicles over a span of, say 10 years.

    How much electricity is needed to 'fuel' the the daily communte in just the greater LA area, and how do we generate it?
    And how much fossil fuels are used in that generation...

  6. #146
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: GM: Volt will get 230 miles per gallon

    Quote Originally Posted by Rightwingnutjob View Post
    And how much fossil fuels are used in that generation...
    And the pollution caused by same.

    If there's not enough power to run all the A/C in LA, how does anyone think there will ever be enough power to then also run all the cars?

  7. #147
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,596

    Re: GM: Volt will get 230 miles per gallon

    Quote Originally Posted by Rightwingnutjob View Post
    I'm a biology major (only 1 semester left to complete it) so I feel fairly informed on the subject. Since I feel lumped into "you conservatives," I'm going to step outside of your steriotype and explain my view on the subject.

    1) Global Warming (Climate change, w/e) DOES exist.

    2) Ozone Depletion IS real.

    3) We don't have the technology or the the resources (financial or otherwise) to put a quick end to extreme hydrocarbon usage. Hydrocarbons are important in almost everything, from fuels to plastics. Hydrocarbon chains are used in practically everything and are even release in flatulance.

    4) We should increase domestic drilling. This will decrease our reliance on foreign, terrorist countries who likely are less green than we are in drilling.

    5) The market will eventually demand (and currently this is starting to increase) more 'green' vehicles. You can already see the effects here. The capitalist way states that when there is a deman companies will try to create a supply. In this way we will slowly work toward green energies anyway. When 'green' energy becomes cheaper, and I believe it will at some point with the huge demand we have for fossil fuels, the demand for green energy will increase and companies will work toward increasing their supply.


    So hows that coming from a, "you conservative"?

    Oh and to add a fact, CO2 isn't the only problem with car emissions from gasoline and diesel engines. SOx and NOx also pose a significant problem (released from vehicles and factories). There are other contributors too, of course.
    Now, if you're going to base your opinions on fact, logic, and science, then you'll just have to change your username. No one is going to lump you into "you conservatives" if you do that. How can anyone be a true conservative, let alone a right wing nutjob and believe the science of global climate change, for example? All of the pundits that all true rightwingnutjobs listen to say there is no such thing as AGW. The real true believers will tell you that it is all a conspiracy to establish a world Marxist government.

    Now, your support of market capitalism does give you some conservative credibility, but thinking that the market is going to support green energy? Oh, no, you need to say three hail Rushs and pray to the drillbabydrill gods after that one.

    I'm beginning to suspect that you're sane after all, and perhaps even a centrist who supports a practical approach to problems.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  8. #148
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO 81506
    Last Seen
    05-30-11 @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,236

    Re: GM: Volt will get 230 miles per gallon

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Don't worry about the price. Obama's giving us money to buy new cars so we can all afford them.
    Obama can't give us anything. Congress holds the purse strings. The Ways and Means Committee approve it. Government 101

    ricksfolly

  9. #149
    Advisor Rightwingnutjob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    09-05-10 @ 04:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    420

    Re: GM: Volt will get 230 miles per gallon

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Now, if you're going to base your opinions on fact, logic, and science, then you'll just have to change your username. No one is going to lump you into "you conservatives" if you do that. How can anyone be a true conservative, let alone a right wing nutjob and believe the science of global climate change, for example? All of the pundits that all true rightwingnutjobs listen to say there is no such thing as AGW. The real true believers will tell you that it is all a conspiracy to establish a world Marxist government.

    Now, your support of market capitalism does give you some conservative credibility, but thinking that the market is going to support green energy? Oh, no, you need to say three hail Rushs and pray to the drillbabydrill gods after that one.

    I'm beginning to suspect that you're sane after all, and perhaps even a centrist who supports a practical approach to problems.
    I'll say, "thanks," since mos of that seemed like some sort of complement. I chose my name mostly in jest as most liberals and "self proclaimed centrists" seem to lump all people left of center into a whack-nutjob-group. The right does the same to the left, and both sides are partially right in that there are whacko's on both sides.

    The reason the market will support green energy? Look at what's happening now. There is a HUGE movement toward green alternatives. CFL's are all the rage. Hybrid vehicles are becoming popular. Organic and locally grown produce is taking a larger share of the market. It is clear that many people believe the science and would love to have green alternatives as long as they don't have pay through the nose while throwing in an arm and a leg. Companies realize that. Even the oil companies are trying to say they are 'greener' by adding ethanol to gas. Sure for some companies it's just a facade, but I think it's one people will see through and demand a true green alternative. The market will adjust to meet the demand.

    Let the science speak and let the people act. Eventually the majority will be buying 'green' and the minority will be left with few alternatives (as demand for 'ungreen' falls so will supply until it fizzles out completely because profits are too low).

  10. #150
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,596

    Re: GM: Volt will get 230 miles per gallon

    Quote Originally Posted by Rightwingnutjob View Post
    I'll say, "thanks," since mos of that seemed like some sort of complement. I chose my name mostly in jest as most liberals and "self proclaimed centrists" seem to lump all people left of center into a whack-nutjob-group. The right does the same to the left, and both sides are partially right in that there are whacko's on both sides.

    The reason the market will support green energy? Look at what's happening now. There is a HUGE movement toward green alternatives. CFL's are all the rage. Hybrid vehicles are becoming popular. Organic and locally grown produce is taking a larger share of the market. It is clear that many people believe the science and would love to have green alternatives as long as they don't have pay through the nose while throwing in an arm and a leg. Companies realize that. Even the oil companies are trying to say they are 'greener' by adding ethanol to gas. Sure for some companies it's just a facade, but I think it's one people will see through and demand a true green alternative. The market will adjust to meet the demand.

    Let the science speak and let the people act. Eventually the majority will be buying 'green' and the minority will be left with few alternatives (as demand for 'ungreen' falls so will supply until it fizzles out completely because profits are too low).
    Right on.

    And it 's good to find someone who at least understands my somewhat twisted sense of humor. I thought you might have a sense of humor also, given your username.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •