Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 204

Thread: GM: Volt will get 230 miles per gallon

  1. #131
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: GM: Volt will get 230 miles per gallon

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    I use to be the N Texas rep for Kodak and I traveled all over the place. Like from Dallas to Wichita Falls a 6 hour round trip and 230 mpg would have been great.
    But if you have to stop to re-charge, isn't it kind of counterproductive? 40 miles per charge isn't even what I drive one-way to work.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  2. #132
    Educator ScottD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    06-27-11 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    977

    Re: GM: Volt will get 230 miles per gallon

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    But if you have to stop to re-charge, isn't it kind of counterproductive? 40 miles per charge isn't even what I drive one-way to work.
    This car is a hybrid though. Once the battery's charge is depleted, a gas motor kicks in and recharges the batteries as you drive. This thing has a range that is a lot longer then 40 miles. 40 miles is just how far it goes before it starts using gas.
    Reality tends to have a liberal bias.

  3. #133
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: GM: Volt will get 230 miles per gallon

    Quote Originally Posted by ScottD View Post
    This car is a hybrid though. Once the battery's charge is depleted, a gas motor kicks in and recharges the batteries as you drive. This thing has a range that is a lot longer then 40 miles. 40 miles is just how far it goes before it starts using gas.

    That's true, but it's cost is some $18,000 more than a non hybrid Focus, (after tax credit) which is about the same size. Now consider, the volt getting let's say 47 MPG, and the Focus gets 33 MPG over all. That's 14 MPG better, or about 1 gallon of gas per tank full. Now depending on how many tank fill ups you do in a week, (average of one for me) that would take you 115 years to recoup your money in gas savings....

    Great deal!


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  4. #134
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:42 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,432

    Re: GM: Volt will get 230 miles per gallon

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    That's true, but it's cost is some $18,000 more than a non hybrid Focus, (after tax credit) which is about the same size. Now consider, the volt getting let's say 47 MPG, and the Focus gets 33 MPG over all. That's 14 MPG better, or about 1 gallon of gas per tank full. Now depending on how many tank fill ups you do in a week, (average of one for me) that would take you 115 years to recoup your money in gas savings....

    Great deal!


    j-mac
    Of course not all car purchases are about economics

    Image, desire, style are all aspects of which car a person buys. A 2 door coupe is rather useless compared to a 4 door sedan, and a station wagon provides even more utility. But people buy the 2 door coupe because of style and image. The same can apply for the Volt or Prius
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  5. #135
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: GM: Volt will get 230 miles per gallon

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tammerlain View Post
    Of course not all car purchases are about economics

    Image, desire, style are all aspects of which car a person buys. A 2 door coupe is rather useless compared to a 4 door sedan, and a station wagon provides even more utility. But people buy the 2 door coupe because of style and image. The same can apply for the Volt or Prius

    I think what you really mean LT is snob appeal....The Prius I have found are usually driven by liberals that like to think they are better than everyone else because they drive a hybrid car. I think they are not so bright. They pay more for it, it still does enormus environmental damage battery disposal and all, and they never recoup their money out of it....Fads are always a bad idea.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  6. #136
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:42 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,432

    Re: GM: Volt will get 230 miles per gallon

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    I think what you really mean LT is snob appeal....The Prius I have found are usually driven by liberals that like to think they are better than everyone else because they drive a hybrid car. I think they are not so bright. They pay more for it, it still does enormus environmental damage battery disposal and all, and they never recoup their money out of it....Fads are always a bad idea.


    j-mac
    Not much different then the person who buys the full size pickup with lift kit, and large tires only to use it to drive to work and back never taking it off road, or the person who buys the Altima coupe over the sedan. It is image
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  7. #137
    Educator ScottD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    06-27-11 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    977

    Re: GM: Volt will get 230 miles per gallon

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    That's true, but it's cost is some $18,000 more than a non hybrid Focus, (after tax credit) which is about the same size. Now consider, the volt getting let's say 47 MPG, and the Focus gets 33 MPG over all. That's 14 MPG better, or about 1 gallon of gas per tank full. Now depending on how many tank fill ups you do in a week, (average of one for me) that would take you 115 years to recoup your money in gas savings....

    Great deal!


    j-mac
    That mileage is only if you drive 300 miles a day. If you are like most people who travel well under 40 miles a day, then you will have much much better mileage.
    Reality tends to have a liberal bias.

  8. #138
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,846

    Re: GM: Volt will get 230 miles per gallon

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    I think what you really mean LT is snob appeal....The Prius I have found are usually driven by liberals that like to think they are better than everyone else because they drive a hybrid car. I think they are not so bright. They pay more for it, it still does enormus environmental damage battery disposal and all, and they never recoup their money out of it....Fads are always a bad idea.


    j-mac
    People, do we really have to keep making comments like this? You conservatives are always the fastest to scream about how you can spend your money how you damn well please. Some people care about the environment more than you do, but "liberals" don't hold the extreme view that you guys keep assigning to us. "We should take significant steps to minimize our emissions of CO2 because the long-term problems are significant" is not the same thing as "STOP ALL FOSSIL FUELS TOMORROW **** THE ECONOMY **** EATING FOOD WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE IF WE DON'T"
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  9. #139
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,576

    Re: GM: Volt will get 230 miles per gallon

    Quote Originally Posted by ScottD View Post
    That mileage is only if you drive 300 miles a day. If you are like most people who travel well under 40 miles a day, then you will have much much better mileage.
    Yes, and I've already calculated the break even point at 200,000 miles and 200 mpg, that if the batteries last and Chevy doesn't make one of their unreliable vehicles.

    I, for one, am not going to buy a Volt until it has proven itself.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  10. #140
    Advisor Rightwingnutjob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    09-05-10 @ 04:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    420

    Re: GM: Volt will get 230 miles per gallon

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tammerlain View Post
    Of course not all car purchases are about economics

    Image, desire, style are all aspects of which car a person buys. A 2 door coupe is rather useless compared to a 4 door sedan, and a station wagon provides even more utility. But people buy the 2 door coupe because of style and image. The same can apply for the Volt or Prius
    Yes, being 'green' is all the rage these days. CFL bulbs that use less electricity but are filled with mercury, Cars that run on batteries, which certainly aren't good for the environment, solar panels made of 'evil' hydrocarbons etc. But yes, as you say, one's image definitely plays a factor. If I want to look good in a car I'm getting a fast convertible for cheaper than that slow hunk of junk (in my opinion).

Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •