Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 139

Thread: Criminal investigation into CIA treatment of detainees expected [edited]

  1. #111
    Advisor Realist1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    11-27-09 @ 09:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    537

    Re: Criminal investigation into CIA treatment of detainees expected [edited]

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    Bottom line, this isn't going to happen. This is lip service for the moveon.org and Soros crowd, whom Obama is heavily indebted to but represents a small sliver of the American populace.

    If he does this, he's done.
    I'd say that sounds about right. What's most annoying to me how this Thread been going,,,is how much some Folks insist on looking at our Defense in Lawyer-Speak. No one in their right minds would EVER look to a Lawyer, or a Judge to protect them from anything... Other than from other Lawyers and Judges.

    Bottom -Feeders, mostly.

    Take care, Erod.
    Last edited by Realist1; 08-10-09 at 06:56 PM.

  2. #112
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:29 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,504

    Re: Criminal investigation into CIA treatment of detainees expected [edited]

    Quote Originally Posted by PogueMoran View Post
    Oh so we just made up war crimes as an excuse then Celtic.. gotcha
    Actually, there's a strong argument to be made that we did. It was an argument made by many prominent minds of the day.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  3. #113
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:29 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,504

    Re: Criminal investigation into CIA treatment of detainees expected [edited]

    Quote Originally Posted by PogueMoran View Post
    Waterboarding isn't a label. Its a specific act. I know specifically what the definition of torture is under our laws and geneva. Just because the prior administration tried to change it so almost anything but organ failure isn't torture, doesn't make it so.
    OK. Give the elements of the crime and show how the specific facts satisfy each beyond a reasonable doubt.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  4. #114
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Last Seen
    11-03-11 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,834

    Re: Criminal investigation into CIA treatment of detainees expected [edited]

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    This is again nothing more than "because you say so" in a vacuum of the facts of this case.
    Yawn. This isn't a because I said so. It's because our laws say so. Its because someone like John McCain who was tortured says so. Fancy things up however you like but it still doesn't make you right. Article 146:

    Each High Contracting Party shall be under the obligation to search for persons alleged to have committed, or to have ordered to be committed, such grave breaches, and shall bring such persons, regardless of their nationality, before its own courts. It may also, if it prefers, and in accordance with the provisions of its own legislation, hand such persons over for trial to another High Contracting Party concerned, provided such High Contracting Party has made out a prima facie case.
    Being a high contracting party we are under the obligation to search for anyone who may have committed or ordered crimes regardless of where they are from and bring them to trial. Even Saint Ronnie understood this principle.

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    If they do not amount to "jack", why have them?

    The FACT is that the contorted logic in the Supreme Court decision suggests that the Geneva Convention applies not because it does, but because a few justices say it does outside of their legal purview.
    Oh its contorted logic when it doesn't go your way but when it does it perfect reasoning. The dissenting opinions don't amount to jack as the case has already been decided. It wasn't just a few justices it was the highest court in our land.

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    But hey, when these terrorists are once again loosed on society and murder again (which many already have), we can all feel justified that we took that "presumed" moral high ground Liberals love to quote; yet these are the same people who have no moral compunction regarding abortion. Ironic don't you think?
    Yeah go off on another weird tangent. Only a fraction of the people we hold currently do we know for sure committed a crime. We hold many civilians caught up in the middle of the conflict as well. But hey the ends justify the means right? You don't care what we do as long as someone tells you you'll be okay. You want to talk about emotion? You just went on an emotional appeal to ignorance. Tell me again how many terrorist plots were stopped by torture? Can you name some? Irony is quite a funny word that people often misuse. In your case you are one of those people. In this case you are the dramatic irony.

    You're talking about the difference between viable live human beings and fetuses that often in late stages may not be viable. You do know 50% of pregnancies end in abortion within the first 2 weeks right?

    But that's a topic for another thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    But it is hardly ironic if one comprehends that this is hardly a “moral” debate but more a highly charged hyper partisan political ploy by Liberal Democrats in a desperate effort to impugn their political opponents.
    Hyper partisan political ploy? Everyone to you is considered a liberal democrat even if they're a moderate or a conservative. Ronald Reagan would be considered a liberal democrat under your line of reasoning. He signed into law several bills opposing torture.


    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    Nancy Pelosi, the moral high ground poster child in this debate was even briefed; seems her morality didn’t appear until it became politically expedient.
    She stated quite clearly from the beginning that the CIA never briefed her that they had already begun using these techniques. This was a breach of the letter of the law. The CIA is obligated to inform the gang of 8 before they start using such techniques not after. Also the CIA even admitted that the so-called dates that these briefings took place weren't actually correct and their record keeping was off


    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    But alas, these FACTS and the REALITY don’t have a place in your emotional hyperbolic nonsensical pile of bile do they?
    Now this is what we would call ironic your whole reply was an emotional appeal to ignorance and yet you're accusing me of it.


    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    Once more this is nothing more than "because you say so."



    Once again this is hardly a surprising remark coming from someone more inclined to highly emotional hyperbolic BS than coherent debate.

    Once more you cannot comprehend the irony in your remarks can you?

    Carry on.
    Once more its not because I say so its because our laws say so under 18 U.S.C. § 2340.

    When you can make a cogent argument please let me know because right now all I see is ad hominems, exactly the same kind you threw at people in the birther thread.

  5. #115
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,246

    Re: Criminal investigation into CIA treatment of detainees expected [edited]

    Quote Originally Posted by PogueMoran View Post
    Unknown BS? You're sending a message that there are no rules and that the rule of law we have in this country shouldn't apply to anyone in government. They knew the law before they did it. That's why we have laws for conscientious objectors. Many in the CIA and FBI quit because of being told to do things illegal. Many in the FBI were prepared to quit over the Alberto Gonzales, John Ashcroft hospital visit. If your boss tells you to do something which you know is illegal that doesn't provide you any cover
    Again, you're mistaking an agent acting on his own initiative with an agent who acted under orders. The United States government didn't stop being the United States government, just because we got a new prez and the United States government owes these people some cover, for doing what the United States government told them to do.


    This whole thing will have a negative effect on our intel services. It will cripple our intel community for decades to come.

    This resembles the Great Purge in the Soviet Union back in the 30's. The Soviets paid a huge price for killing all those quality members of their military and intel community.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  6. #116
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Criminal investigation into CIA treatment of detainees expected [edited]

    oh, for cryin out loud

    this is at least the 6th time holder has THREATENED to go forward with this inane investigation

    for pete's sake, holder, DO IT

    or SHUT UP

    he's gonna investigate
    he's not gonna investigate
    he's gonna investigate
    he's not...

    quit TORTURING the DAISY, at least, ya flighty little girl

    dang

    DO IT!

    you and NANCY!

    haul in VEEP cheney

    make him SWEAR to REMEMBER

    ask him why he DUNKED khalid sheikh muhammed

    ask him how/if/why the cia lied to the palsied speakeress

    or, closer, ask HER

    she was RIGHT THERE, every step

    cheney'll KICK YOUR LILY BUTTS

    just like he did ahmed's and ali's

    i for one am SICK of hearing THIS leadership make EMPTY THREATS

    only to CHANGE ITS MIND like marcia! marcia! marcia! within the month

    the point---holder ain't gonna do SQUAT

    if he was, then he woulda

    long time ago

    he's trying to get a headline (for the umpteenth time)

    cuz his BOSS don't like the headlines there are

    fool me 5 times, shame on me

    fool me again, you're holder

    SHUT UP, AG, and go find a TERRORIST to PARDON

    close GITMO, if you can

    try to answer the WHERE's and HOW's this time

    so NINETY freakin senators don't LOL! you and your pencil necked boss right off the expensive blue carpet

    go suck up to MARK RICH for what he still OWES you

    squelch investigations into the grossly illegal activities of ACORN

    you're the POWERS THAT BE

    put a pause to prosecutions of billy club brandishing black panthers outside voting precincts in philly

    but do YOUR NATION a favor

    quit BLUFFING your BLOWHARD BLATHERINGS til ya got SOMETHING

    ok?
    Last edited by The Prof; 08-10-09 at 09:23 PM.

  7. #117
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,272
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Criminal investigation into CIA treatment of detainees expected [edited]

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Again, you're mistaking an agent acting on his own initiative with an agent who acted under orders. The United States government didn't stop being the United States government, just because we got a new prez and the United States government owes these people some cover, for doing what the United States government told them to do.


    This whole thing will have a negative effect on our intel services. It will cripple our intel community for decades to come.

    This resembles the Great Purge in the Soviet Union back in the 30's. The Soviets paid a huge price for killing all those quality members of their military and intel community.
    You really should read the article before you comment. The investigation is not of people doing what the government did, but those who broke the rules as the Bush administration interpreted them. In other words, the people that would have been guilty of crimes even under Bush. If prosecuting criminals is going to hurt our intel service, there is a real problem with the intel services.

  8. #118
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    12-02-09 @ 05:13 PM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    4,695

    Re: Criminal investigation into CIA treatment of detainees expected [edited]

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    oh, for cryin out loud

    this is at least the 6th time holder has THREATENED to go forward with this inane investigation

    for pete's sake, holder, DO IT

    or SHUT UP

    he's gonna investigate
    he's not gonna investigate
    he's gonna investigate
    he's not...

    quit TORTURING the DAISY, at least, ya flighty little girl

    dang

    DO IT!

    you and NANCY!

    haul in VEEP cheney

    make him SWEAR to REMEMBER

    ask him why he DUNKED khalid sheikh muhammed

    ask him how/if/why the cia lied to the palsied speakeress

    or, closer, ask HER

    she was RIGHT THERE, every step

    cheney'll KICK YOUR LILY BUTTS

    just like he did ahmed's and ali's

    i for one am SICK of hearing THIS leadership make EMPTY THREATS

    only to CHANGE ITS MIND like marcia! marcia! marcia! within the month

    the point---holder ain't gonna do SQUAT

    if he was, then he woulda

    long time ago

    he's trying to get a headline (for the umpteenth time)

    cuz his BOSS don't like the headlines there are

    fool me 5 times, shame on me

    fool me again, you're holder

    SHUT UP, AG, and go find a TERRORIST to PARDON

    close GITMO, if you can

    try to answer the WHERE's and HOW's this time

    so NINETY freakin senators don't LOL! you and your pencil necked boss right off the expensive blue carpet

    go suck up to MARK RICH for what he still OWES you

    but do YOUR NATION a favor

    quit BLUFFING your BLOWHARD BLATHERINGS til ya got SOMETHING

    ok?
    Jezz it is so easy to blame others for Republicans breaking the law..you play you pay..America will be investigating the unlawful acts of the politicians.

    It is not the Dems doing it to the Republicans...it is the Republicans doing it to themselves and blaming America for their failures...again.

  9. #119
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Criminal investigation into CIA treatment of detainees expected [edited]

    tell it to holder

    he's been rattling that rusty saber since january

    when's he gonna subpoena the veep?

    why haven't we heard word one since this story broke last week?

    when do you think you're gonna hear the next shoe drop?

    how many months this time til he gives throat to his theatrical threat?

    nothing will come of it, not a step

    it's spelled P-O-L-I-T-I-C-S

    which, in this context, can be transcribed: L-O-L!

    sorry to disappoint

  10. #120
    Educating the Ignorant
    zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:39 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,345
    Blog Entries
    12

    Re: Criminal investigation into CIA treatment of detainees expected [edited]

    Quote Originally Posted by Realist1 View Post
    This is a bad mistake on B.O.'s part... You don't "attack" the People that Defend America.


    Criminal investigation into CIA treatment of detainees expected - Los Angeles Times

    They're turning their back on our Defenders... And seem more worried over the Trash that Master-Minded the 9-11 attacks against us.

    The Justice Department authorized waterboarding in an August 2002 memo that contained a caveat that could prove crucial to any criminal investigation. Although it allowed the approved methods to be "used more than once," the memo stipulated that "repetition will not be substantial because the techniques generally lose their effectiveness after several repetitions."

    One passage of the CIA report declassified this year said that the method had been used "at least 83 times during August 2002" on Abu Zubaydah, the first senior Al Qaeda figure captured by the agency. Waterboarding was then employed "183 times during March 2003" on Khalid Shaikh Mohammed, the self-proclaimed mastermind of the Sept. 11 attacks.
    The men who got the initial information that got us bin Laden are still in the gun sights of Eric Holder. Disgusting.

    Call your representative and have them do what they can to stop this nonsense, and to have Obama reverse course on enhanced interrogation techniques.

    .
    Last edited by zimmer; 05-09-11 at 06:22 PM.
    The Clintons are what happens...
    when you have NO MORAL COMPASS.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •