Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 58

Thread: NYC Sues Family Of Girl Burned On Playground Mat

  1. #31
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: NYC Sues Family Of Girl Burned On Playground Mat

    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealOneThunder View Post
    If they wanted to protect other children, they should have sued the city to REMOVE all the mats. Thus, it would cost the city money, the children would be protected, the city would have nothing to counter sue with, and the parent's motives wouldn't have been in question.
    But then, how would they get the funds they spent on medical bills (I assume they paid them) refunded? Without the presence of the mats, the medical bills would not have been needed.

    It sounds like the mats were unreasonably warm. I have touched tires left out in the sun which were hot enough to be felt, and cause discomfort, but not burn.
    I think there must have been a mistake made in the design or construction of the playground setup, as no reasonable person involved would intentionally include such a potential problem into their setup.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  2. #32
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,226

    Re: NYC Sues Family Of Girl Burned On Playground Mat

    Quote Originally Posted by Coronado View Post
    That's something we'll never know unless there's a trial, which is a pretty good reason to have one.
    Why spend all that time and money trying to figure out something that we purdy much already know?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #33
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: NYC Sues Family Of Girl Burned On Playground Mat

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Why spend all that time and money trying to figure out something that we purdy much already know?
    Because without a legal trial, nothing is actually decided legally... And thus nothing would be legally required of NYC or the family in question.
    Either could claim whatever they wished (of course they still could after a trial), and continue as they wished. A trial provides the opportunity for a thorough examination of the evidence, and fines/requirements can be made against those who are determined to be at fault (if anyone). Sure, I suppose NYC could sign a out of court agreement to the effect that "we will remove the mats and replace them with safe ones, and here is money for your expenses". But that would still be a legal proceeding.

    Just saying "well, we purdy much know what happened, so...(I have no idea what you thought would result from that line of thinking)" is far too vague and unrestricting to be acceptable for most.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  4. #34
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: NYC Sues Family Of Girl Burned On Playground Mat

    The article doesn't explain the situation, but what I'm assuming is happening is that the city is impleading the grandmother on the grounds that she is in part or whole responsible for the damages that the parents are seeking.

    It's a totally reasonable response if they have a reason to believe that the grandmother is at least partially responsible. Not a "bully tactic" at all.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  5. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: NYC Sues Family Of Girl Burned On Playground Mat

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    The article doesn't explain the situation, but what I'm assuming is happening is that the city is impleading the grandmother on the grounds that she is in part or whole responsible for the damages that the parents are seeking.

    It's a totally reasonable response if they have a reason to believe that the grandmother is at least partially responsible. Not a "bully tactic" at all.
    Well, I can see the sense of that.

    Maybe the grandmother put the mat on a handy barbeque grill and laid it back down on the ground, and didn't realize her granddaughter was going to run on it.

    Maybe the grandmother had a really huge magnifying glass and her eyesight was so bad she didn't realize that the giant ant she was toasting was actually a rubber mat, and then the kid ran over it.

    Maybe it wasn't really a city-provided rubber mat, but a tread from a tire that was peeled off when granny tore out leading the cops on a high speed chase to avoid a drug bust, and her whole story about watching the kid was a flat lie.

    Yes, the city can argue all sorts of things.

    But if they're not denying that the city put the mats down in the park to protect the children, then granny wouldn't seem to be at fault for anything.
    Last edited by Scarecrow Akhbar; 08-05-09 at 10:51 PM.

  6. #36
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: NYC Sues Family Of Girl Burned On Playground Mat

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Well, I can see the sense of that.

    Maybe the grandmother put the mat on a handy barbeque grill and laid it back down on the ground, and didn't realize her granddaughter was going to run on it.

    Maybe the grandmother had a really huge magnifying glass and her eyesight was so bad she realize that the giant ant she was toasting was actually a rubber mat, and then the kid ran over it.

    Maybe it wasn't really a city-provided rubber mat, but a tread from a tire that was peeled off when granny tore out leading the cops on a high speed chase to avoid a drug bust, and her whole story about watching the kid was a flat lie.

    Yes, the city can argue all sorts of things.

    But if they're not denying that the city put the mats down in the park to protect the children, then granny wouldn't seem to be at fault for anything.
    Unless you fault the granny for recklessly assuming that a city park would have play equipment that was safe for bare feet to be in contact with…
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  7. #37
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,226

    Re: NYC Sues Family Of Girl Burned On Playground Mat

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Unless you fault the granny for recklessly assuming that a city park would have play equipment that was safe for bare feet to be in contact with…
    I don't think it's anymore maw-maw's fault than it is the city's fault. You'll never make me believe that a city worker said, "Let's put this out there so some little kid'll burn her feet on it".
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: NYC Sues Family Of Girl Burned On Playground Mat

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    The article doesn't explain the situation, but what I'm assuming is happening is that the city is impleading the grandmother on the grounds that she is in part or whole responsible for the damages that the parents are seeking.

    It's a totally reasonable response if they have a reason to believe that the grandmother is at least partially responsible. Not a "bully tactic" at all.
    It does have that 'kicking a dead' horse feeling. I mean, if you have kids, you can imagine how a family, a grandmother, feels when a child screams out in pain having her feet severely burnt. Then going to the hospital, etc.

    Maybe we don't have all the info (grandma was drinking, or the girl was not really burned as bad as it says) but on the surface--if the facts in the story hold up, that is, then the counter-suit by the city feels harsh.

    Kids on a playground will take off running. You keep them in eyesight at all times, don't let them wonder off. Even if grandma was on her cell, it's still feels like a bully tactic.

  9. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: NYC Sues Family Of Girl Burned On Playground Mat

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I don't think it's anymore maw-maw's fault than it is the city's fault. You'll never make me believe that a city worker said, "Let's put this out there so some little kid'll burn her feet on it".
    It is the city's fault.

    They provided a playing surface in a child's environment that had an equilibrium temperature of 160F in direct sunlight.

    When I was a kid we used to walk barefoot on tarred roads in the summer time that were hot, but I've never ran across one that was actually scalding.

    Tar.

    You know, dead black and nearly maximally absorbtive. And Syracuse is only a couple of degrees of latitude further north than New York, so insolation conditions are almost the identical.

    So what are the thermal properties of that material the kid toasted her little tootsies on, hmmmmm? At a guess I'd say the stuff was a fair thermal insulator and wasn't carrying the insolation to the ground fast enough.

    Or...the mats were on an insulating material...which would have the same effect.

    But I'm only an engineer, so what would I know?
    Last edited by Scarecrow Akhbar; 08-05-09 at 11:01 PM.

  10. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: NYC Sues Family Of Girl Burned On Playground Mat

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    It does have that 'kicking a dead' horse feeling. I mean, if you have kids, you can imagine how a family, a grandmother, feels when a child screams out in pain having her feet severely burnt. Then going to the hospital, etc.

    Maybe we don't have all the info (grandma was drinking, or the girl was not really burned as bad as it says) but on the surface--if the facts in the story hold up, that is, then the counter-suit by the city feels harsh.

    Kids on a playground will take off running. You keep them in eyesight at all times, don't let them wonder off. Even if grandma was on her cell, it's still feels like a bully tactic.
    More importantly, why would anyone expect granny to have calibrated infrared eyesight that could see how hot the surface was? No one I know has those.

    Now, ever since I stepped on that honey bee when I was ten I've not been a fan of going barefoot, but as a father I know the practical impossibility of keeping shoes on a kid at the park. I tell them to watch for bees and glass and figure the chances of harm aren't that great.

    I fail to see any fault accruing to the old lady.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •