Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 58

Thread: NYC Sues Family Of Girl Burned On Playground Mat

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: NYC Sues Family Of Girl Burned On Playground Mat

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    They didn't sue the city because they were concerned about other kids getting hurt. They were sueing the city, because right after it happened, they saw dollar signs.
    You don't know that. You have no way of knowing that. What an asinine thing to say.

    As a parent, I can say that we do look out for other peoples kids. It becomes part your nature once you have your own child. I can't watch shows like Law and Order any more where kids are put in harms way.

    The article states that the girl was in the hospital for 5 days? Knowing how hospitals work, the burns must have been severe. And, knowing how big cities work, replacing all those mats could be pricey. But Bloomberg is mayor who banned smoking in bars and restaurants. Maybe if this story gets some traction, the suit against the family will be dropped, and the city will do the right thing.

    They should be publishing the name of the contractor or playground company in every article if they really want to get some movement.

    The way this story is being framed, unless grandpa was boozing at the park or hitting on a jogger, then it looks like bully tactics and big PR problem.

  2. #12
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,377

    Re: NYC Sues Family Of Girl Burned On Playground Mat

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    You don't know that. You have no way of knowing that. What an asinine thing to say.

    As a parent, I can say that we do look out for other peoples kids. It becomes part your nature once you have your own child. I can't watch shows like Law and Order any more where kids are put in harms way.

    The article states that the girl was in the hospital for 5 days? Knowing how hospitals work, the burns must have been severe. And, knowing how big cities work, replacing all those mats could be pricey. But Bloomberg is mayor who banned smoking in bars and restaurants. Maybe if this story gets some traction, the suit against the family will be dropped, and the city will do the right thing.

    They should be publishing the name of the contractor or playground company in every article if they really want to get some movement.

    The way this story is being framed, unless grandpa was boozing at the park or hitting on a jogger, then it looks like bully tactics and big PR problem.
    How much did they sue the city for? If was for a larger amount than what the hospital bill would reasonably be, then they were walking around seeing dollar signs, like Richy Rich.

    They were like

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #13
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: NYC Sues Family Of Girl Burned On Playground Mat

    There's real damages here, and stuff which should be awarded past the medical bills. I don't think we have to go McDonald's coffee bad, but this is 100% the city's fault. They should have tested this, and a child got severely injured due to their negligence. It's most likely beyond that, but not provable, in that someone in the city probably gave a contract to some buddies, who put in this playground material. But that's speculation and is rooted in my inherent distrust of government. Also, I think most government is run like a mafia. Chicago certainly is.

    Regardless, in what is being reported, the family did nothing wrong and everything was the result of the city. As such, they need to provide compensation and fix the playground problem.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #14
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: NYC Sues Family Of Girl Burned On Playground Mat

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    How much did they sue the city for? If was for a larger amount than what the hospital bill would reasonably be, then they were walking around seeing dollar signs, like Richy Rich.

    They were like

    Ever heard of punitive damages?

  5. #15
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,377

    Re: NYC Sues Family Of Girl Burned On Playground Mat

    Quote Originally Posted by Coronado View Post
    Ever heard of punitive damages?
    Oh yeah, and I think in most cases punitive damages shouldn't be allowed. The laws governing punitive damages needs way more reform than healthcare, IMO.

    Wanted to make sure ya'll saw the IMO. Did'ja?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  6. #16
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,377

    Re: NYC Sues Family Of Girl Burned On Playground Mat

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    There's real damages here, and stuff which should be awarded past the medical bills. I don't think we have to go McDonald's coffee bad, but this is 100% the city's fault. They should have tested this, and a child got severely injured due to their negligence. It's most likely beyond that, but not provable, in that someone in the city probably gave a contract to some buddies, who put in this playground material. But that's speculation and is rooted in my inherent distrust of government. Also, I think most government is run like a mafia. Chicago certainly is.

    Regardless, in what is being reported, the family did nothing wrong and everything was the result of the city. As such, they need to provide compensation and fix the playground problem.
    It's not the city's, "fault". It was an accident. I doubt that anyone working for the city put that mat on the ground, knowing that someone could hurt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  7. #17
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: NYC Sues Family Of Girl Burned On Playground Mat

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    It's not the city's, "fault". It was an accident. I doubt that anyone working for the city put that mat on the ground, knowing that someone could hurt.
    The accident part is for criminal charges, no one is being charged with a crime. If it wasn't an "accident", there would be charges. But the city is still at fault, they put it in there without proper testing. They are liable for the damages, all of them.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #18
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Seen
    11-30-09 @ 04:11 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    446

    Re: NYC Sues Family Of Girl Burned On Playground Mat

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Oh yeah, and I think in most cases punitive damages shouldn't be allowed. The laws governing punitive damages needs way more reform than healthcare, IMO.

    Wanted to make sure ya'll saw the IMO. Did'ja?
    "IMO" doesn't give you the right to make baseless claims with immunity. I could say "cats are dogs IMO" or "Christians are Muslims imo" doesn't mean it's true. If you have an opinion on a public forum, other members of the forum have the right to call you out on it. We're not stopping you from doing it (blah blah blah Free Speech) but we will correct you when you're wrong. The fact that you don't even try to defend yourself and instead say "it's just my opinion, golly gee whizz" means that you acknowledge that you can't back it up.

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: NYC Sues Family Of Girl Burned On Playground Mat

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    The accident part is for criminal charges, no one is being charged with a crime. If it wasn't an "accident", there would be charges. But the city is still at fault, they put it in there without proper testing. They are liable for the damages, all of them.
    In order for the city to be held liable it must be demonstrated through an objective standard that a reasonable person should have forseen such a possibility. That doesn't seem very likely.

  10. #20
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: NYC Sues Family Of Girl Burned On Playground Mat

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Oh yeah, and I think in most cases punitive damages shouldn't be allowed. The laws governing punitive damages needs way more reform than healthcare, IMO.
    That's a pretty ridiculous stance, but whatever.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •