Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 316

Thread: Gov't insurance would allow coverage for abortion

  1. #1
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,492

    Gov't insurance would allow coverage for abortion

    Gov't insurance would allow coverage for abortion

    Gov't insurance would allow coverage for abortion - Yahoo! Asia News


    WASHINGTON Health care legislation before Congress would allow a new government-sponsored insurance plan to cover abortions, a decision that would affect millions of women and recast federal policy on the divisive issue.

    Federal funds for abortions are now restricted to cases involving rape, incest or danger to the health of the mother. Abortion opponents say those restrictions should carry over to any health insurance sold through a new marketplace envisioned under the legislation, an exchange where people would choose private coverage or the public plan.

    Abortion rights supporters say that would have the effect of denying coverage for abortion to millions of women who now have it through workplace insurance and are expected to join the exchange.

    Advocates on both sides are preparing for a renewed battle over abortion, which could jeopardize political support for President Barack Obama's health care initiative aimed at covering nearly 50 million uninsured and restraining medical costs.

    "We want to see people who have no health insurance get it, but this is a sticking point," said Richard Doerflinger, associate director of pro-life activities for the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops. "We don't want health care reform to be the vehicle for mandating abortion."



    So in other words, we must pay for you to kill your child of inconvience.... I find this unnacceptable. Abortion is legal. I get it, however, expecting me to pay for it is abhorrent.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  2. #2
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Gov't insurance would allow coverage for abortion

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    So in other words, we must pay for you to kill your child of inconvience.... I find this unnacceptable. Abortion is legal. I get it, however, expecting me to pay for it is abhorrent.
    Expecting me to pay for the NEA to fund pornography and blasphemy is abhorrent. Expecting me to pay for abortions is going to save me money in the long run and quite possibly save the lives or livelihoods of me or my children.

  3. #3
    Professor
    WillRockwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    07-10-10 @ 09:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,950

    Re: Gov't insurance would allow coverage for abortion

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    So in other words, we must pay for you to kill your child of inconvience.... I find this unnacceptable. Abortion is legal. I get it, however, expecting me to pay for it is abhorrent.
    Oh, you want approval on the use of your taxpayer funds in healthcare situations? How about the case of Joe Tippler, a longterm alcoholic who is in line for a liver transplant. Should he get it? Shall we notify you of our needs before or after we see a doctor?

  4. #4
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,492

    Re: Gov't insurance would allow coverage for abortion

    Quote Originally Posted by WillRockwell View Post
    Oh, you want approval on the use of your taxpayer funds in healthcare situations? How about the case of Joe Tippler, a longterm alcoholic who is in line for a liver transplant. Should he get it? Shall we notify you of our needs before or after we see a doctor?



    For abortion? if it is elective and not in the danger of the life of the mother, it should not be covered. You want to kill your kid because it inconvieneces you, we should not pay for it.


    I have no idea what you are rambling about with "joe Tippler" are you making things up again?
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  5. #5
    Just Crazy Enough to Work
    Edify_Always_In_All_Ways's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Wilmington, DE
    Last Seen
    01-31-14 @ 03:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,299

    Re: Gov't insurance would allow coverage for abortion

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    I have no idea what you are rambling about with "joe Tippler" are you making things up again?
    He's asking if you'd support paying for a liver transplant for an alcoholic. The analogy presumably comes when you consider that both the abortion seeker and the transplant seeker have likely caused their own health problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat
    Heh. Do you realize how many children I'd murder to be immortal and have an army of willing slaves?

  6. #6
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,492

    Re: Gov't insurance would allow coverage for abortion

    Quote Originally Posted by Edify_Always_In_All_Ways View Post
    He's asking if you'd support paying for a liver transplant for an alcoholic. The analogy presumably comes when you consider that both the abortion seeker and the transplant seeker have likely caused their own health problems.


    Whats missing is the conideration of the living human inside the woman. It's a rather dumb question if that is the case.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  7. #7
    Hung like Einstein
    Singularity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,058

    Re: Gov't insurance would allow coverage for abortion

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    Whats missing is the conideration of the living human inside the woman. It's a rather dumb question if that is the case.
    If it was a living human inside of you, there'd be no argument; however, it's not a human, it's an embryo. Big difference.

    While I certainly understand your concern with abortion and unwillingness to pay for it, it's important to keep things in perspective here. That product of conception growing inside a woman is unviable prior to 20 weeks, give or take a few days. I think there is a huge misconception among pro-lifers that an embryo constitutes an autonomous, rational entity with some sort of 'spiritual inhabitant' inside already capable of higher intellectual functioning beyond mere stimulus/response. It isn't, and I say this as someone who has seen plenty of embryos in the last 11 years due to my particular job in the genetics field.

    Obviously I have no problem with pro-lifer's opting to keep their own child regardless of circumstance, but I have plenty when they force their reasoning on everyone else in an attempt to discourage abortions. I agree with you about the funding issue, good Rev. If you oppose personally funding it through your taxes, fine. But I disagree with your belief that an embryo constitutes a rational, autonomous entity, because it does not.
    Last edited by Singularity; 08-05-09 at 10:21 AM.

  8. #8
    Walk with me in hell.
    stekim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    09-21-10 @ 12:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,106

    Re: Gov't insurance would allow coverage for abortion

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    So in other words, we must pay for you to kill your child of inconvience.... I find this unnacceptable. Abortion is legal. I get it, however, expecting me to pay for it is abhorrent.
    I find all sorts of government spending abhorrent. This would not even make my Top 50.
    Wow. Am I awesome or what?

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Gov't insurance would allow coverage for abortion

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    Whats missing is the conideration of the living human inside the woman. It's a rather dumb question if that is the case.
    I understand your feelings on this issue, I really do. Abortion is morally repugnant to me.

    What I now believe, however, is that if a woman has so little maternal instinct that killing her unborn child seems like a good decision to her, it's better (for the child, for society, for her) that she not be a mother.

    YOu can't make people be proper parents. It's exceedingly difficult, and they'll likely end up producing extremely damaged and anti-social offspring.

    I don't like killing stray animals in shelters, either, but sometimes, it's necessary.
    Last edited by Catz Part Deux; 08-05-09 at 10:26 AM.

  10. #10
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,492

    Re: Gov't insurance would allow coverage for abortion

    Quote Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
    If it was a living human inside of you, there'd be no argument; however, it's not a human, it's an embryo. Big difference.

    You could call it a big mac, and it still won't change the fact its a human life.



    While I certainly understand your concern with abortion and unwillingness to pay for it, it's important to keep things in perspective here. That product of conception growing inside a woman is unviable prior to 20 weeks, give or take a few days. I think there is a huge misconception among pro-lifers that an embryo constitutes an autonomous, rational entity with some sort of 'spiritual inhabitant' inside already capable of higher intellectual functioning beyond mere stimulus/response. It isn't, and I say this as someone who has seen plenty of embryos in the last 11 years due to my particular job in the genetics field.

    Awesome, so you can prove there is not a human life there. Lets see the science....



    convince me friend.



    Obviously I have no problem with pro-lifer's opting to keep their own child regardless of circumstance, but I have plenty when they force their reasoning on everyone else in an attempt to discourage abortions. I agree with you about the funding issue, good Rev. If you oppose personally funding it through your taxes, fine. But I disagree with your belief that an embryo constitutes a rational, autonomous entity, because it does not.


    Thank you for this understanding. It is most appreciated in this aspect.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •