Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 316

Thread: Gov't insurance would allow coverage for abortion

  1. #171
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Gov't insurance would allow coverage for abortion

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    I was wondering when you'd show up.
    If anyone can take black and make it white, it's you.
    Welcome to the thread.
    Been here for a while.
    But, my point stands.

  2. #172
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Gov't insurance would allow coverage for abortion

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    US is very different.
    Abortion clinics and doctors are inspected like **** because it is Government run.

    One wrong move, jail/stripping of medicial practice or fine.

    That is probably why you'd only get people like Tiller in US and no where else.
    Late term Abortion = Jail. Simple as that
    It's that way in Canada too, except the bill is on public funds so the government has even more right to make sure things are running smoothly.

    UHC is just that, universal. Abortion, regardless of its controversial nature, is still a medical procedure that requires staff and equipment to be paid for. You can't have your cake and eat it too. UHC means medicine, period, is covered. It's this that people aren't understanding.

  3. #173
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Gov't insurance would allow coverage for abortion

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    It's that way in Canada too, except the bill is on public funds so the government has even more right to make sure things are running smoothly.

    UHC is just that, universal. Abortion, regardless of its controversial nature, is still a medical procedure that requires staff and equipment to be paid for. You can't have your cake and eat it too. UHC means medicine, period, is covered. It's this that people aren't understanding.
    So what sort of elective surgery does this cover? Plastic surgery? If so, Hollywood is going to bankrupt us. Where are we drawing the line, are we drawing a line?
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #174
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: Gov't insurance would allow coverage for abortion

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    It's that way in Canada too, except the bill is on public funds so the government has even more right to make sure things are running smoothly.

    UHC is just that, universal. Abortion, regardless of its controversial nature, is still a medical procedure that requires staff and equipment to be paid for. You can't have your cake and eat it too. UHC means medicine, period, is covered. It's this that people aren't understanding.
    US also allows abortion longer than some liberal European countries who do allow Abortion to be done on taxpayer money.

    Exactly.
    I think why it is so different is because it is still a emotive issue in US, which probably links into the fact US is undeniably very religious for a western country.
    Abortion has been a dead issue in many countries. Accept it and try to reduce it by not criminalizing it.


  5. #175
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Gov't insurance would allow coverage for abortion

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    So what sort of elective surgery does this cover? Plastic surgery? If so, Hollywood is going to bankrupt us. Where are we drawing the line, are we drawing a line?
    That's a great point Ikari... plastic surgery is usually covered in instances of accidents, and you usually have to apply for it specially to the government. For example, burn victims with severe burns, or children who have been in car accidents, can sometimes be eligible. I'm not sure of the statistics though.

    In any case... abortion is covered under UHC as part of most nations' birth control regimes. It's also the reason why birth control pills tend to be cheaper in Western nations, since they receive some subsidy from the government.

  6. #176
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Gov't insurance would allow coverage for abortion

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    I think why it is so different is because it is still a emotive issue in US, which probably links into the fact US is undeniably very religious for a western country.
    Abortion has been a dead issue in many countries. Accept it and try to reduce it by not criminalizing it.
    I think with the U.S., this may be one step too far. It was already a lot to ask some people to accept the Roe v Wade ruling, people still think UHC is controversial, and now they are being asked to accept UHC endorsed abortion. I think it is too much for the social realm of U.S. society. It needs to develop more and maybe in the future the matter can be examined better.

    It seems though that UHC is coming regardless. Maybe UHC endorsed abortion will be a party-based initiative. Just like Republicans almost always endorse abstinence only education, and just like Democrats tend to re-abolish it when they come back into power, maybe UHC endorsed abortion will be treated the same.

  7. #177
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Gov't insurance would allow coverage for abortion

    Quote Originally Posted by Sammyo View Post
    It's not. That you think a certain aspect is a shortcoming is of no surprise, though. Chances are that you are in favor of some political agenda that i find abhorrent, but i wouldn't call it a "shortcoming". It's just something that you favor that i disagree with. I support abortions being paid for with tax dollars, and you can disagree with me, but just because i have that opinion that you don't agree with doesn't make it a shortcoming.

    Newsflash to Ethereal: Your disagreement with an opinion is not a "shortcoming" of that opinion.
    My disagreement with your opinion was not offered absent any reasoning. The coercive nature of government-funded abortions is a valid observation and a logical premise from which to argue.

    Lots of people on this thread have merely shared their opinion and not provided logic.
    That's fine, but don't be surprised when I inform you that your opinion - although very neat! - doesn't make any sense.

    You certainly haven't provided any logic that i'm aware of. Hell, you act like the fact that you disagree with me is a "shortcoming". That's faulty logic if i've ever heard it. Perhaps you should take a page from my book and not act like you're presenting logic when you're just presenting your biased opinion.
    Opinions can also be correct or incorrect. Your's happens to be incorrect.

    Current taxation does this every day. It's a fact of life.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, you know.

    Um, sure. Look, this board is allowing us both to post. Let's not pretend that somehow what people should and shouldn't say, according to your opinion is somehow relevant.
    What?

    It depends on the wording of the law.
    Sammyo's children, whilst in attendance at any public school, shall be made to pray to our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, whose blood was shed so that we may have everlasting life.

    So, what do you think of my law?

    I imagine that i'd be vocal in some way just like you'd be vocal in some way on abortion paid for with tax dollars.
    DING-DING-DING! We have a winner!

    So, suppose, in the course of your vocalizing, I simply told you to "stop whining". Would you consider that to be a logical refutation of your position?

    I think you should have the right to be vocal about abortion paid for with tax dollars and that i should have the right to be vocal about whatever i please. That's what make this country so great. What about this process do you not like?
    When are you going to stop beating your wife? See, I can ask loaded questions, too.

    Nowhere have I advocated anything in opposition to free speech or the exercise thereof. I'm simply trying to contest the validity of your opinion, not its existence.

    Well you were the one acting like your opinion was some almighty pronouncement or something. I never did. If you want to take opinions so seriously than that's your business. I was just cluing you in to the reality that i don't.
    Hey, thanks for that. I love reality.


  8. #178
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,461

    Re: Gov't insurance would allow coverage for abortion

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    Why?

    UHC paying for abortions means that all abortion clinics become subject to government inspection, which means we can make sure that procedures are being performed safely and humanely. At private clinics things can happen more behind closed doors.
    Abortion clinics already are subject to government inspection.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #179
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,305

    Re: Gov't insurance would allow coverage for abortion

    Illegals will get free healthcare.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  10. #180
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: Gov't insurance would allow coverage for abortion

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    I think it is too much for the social realm of U.S. society. It needs to develop more and maybe in the future the matter can be examined better.
    I agree

    RvW is seen as horrific in itself by some, add to that UHC and then UHC paying for Abortion. No no, ease them into it. Slowly.


Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •