Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 157

Thread: 2 Obama officials: No guarantee taxes won't go up

  1. #141
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: 2 Obama officials: No guarantee taxes won't go up

    Quote Originally Posted by Machiavellian View Post
    What is it about liberals, that they seem to always look to blame America first... yet, ironically, are among the first to psuh for bigger government?
    Blame US for everything?
    No ofc not
    I blame Blair, the dumb ****tard who dragged us along and lied to us with US into a war that didn't need to be fought.

    What does big govt. have to do with liberals blaming US?


  2. #142
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: 2 Obama officials: No guarantee taxes won't go up

    Quote Originally Posted by Machiavellian View Post
    If "WE would have let the UN do its damn job?" Are you serious? Was it the US that told Saddam not to comply or was it Saddam that did not comply?
    Until it was clear that GWB was actually going to do something about it, there was never any question from anyone as to the threat that was Iraq.

    So, the UN "doing its job" consists wholly of passing resolutions and doing nothing to back them up.

  3. #143
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: 2 Obama officials: No guarantee taxes won't go up

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    So, the UN "doing its job" consists wholly of passing resolutions and doing nothing to back them up.
    US seems to be making up a new threat every couple of years. Russia, Cuba, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iran and Syria seems to be the new focus

    UN is weak because of a number of reasons, it was never designed to police the world. Infact that is the one thing countries did not want UN to do hence the veto.

    NATO is supposed to do it.


  4. #144
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: 2 Obama officials: No guarantee taxes won't go up

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    US seems to be making up a new threat every couple of years. Russia, Cuba, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iran and Syria seems to be the new focus
    Aside from the fact that your post does nothing to address what I said...

    Yes -- the US makes these things up from whole cloth, w/o any substantiation whatsoever.



    If the US is the biggest problem the world has, the world is in pretty good shape.

  5. #145
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: 2 Obama officials: No guarantee taxes won't go up

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post

    If the US is the biggest problem the world has, the world is in pretty good shape.
    Ofc US is not the biggest problem.

    God, quit with the inferiority complex.
    No matter how much we dislike some of US's actions. We all know we'd be ****ed without it.


  6. #146
    User Machiavellian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    08-21-09 @ 03:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23

    Re: 2 Obama officials: No guarantee taxes won't go up

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    Dub-yah took his eye off the prize. Plain and simple. Had he remained focused on the War on Terror in Afghanistan instead of tinkering around in Iraq w/WMDs that just weren't there our troops in Afghanistan would be far more successful today.
    Really, how many men does it take to find a needle in a haystack? Moreover, Obama has sent more troops… and the result is ostensibly the bloodiest month, in terms of casualties for, us in Afghanistan [hmm, one wonders why the press is not covering the loss of so many casualties now that Obama is in office?]

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    The man created problems where none existed beforehand.
    Wow, you make it seem as if poor Saddam was complying completely with the UN and big, bad America attacked out of the blue for no reason whatsoever. Unfortunately, for you, this is not the way things were. Saddam was not complying and that represent a threat.

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    But nobody on the other side of politics wants to admit that. All they can talk about is "if" this or "if" that, but to date NOBODY HAS FOUND WMDs in Iraq - NOBODY!
    That is because that is irrelevant– what you know AFTERWARDS does not in any way affect what you knew BEFORE.

    As I pointed out in the analogy with the criminal with the empty gun – the officer did not know that the gun was empty and the criminal was not complying. Thus, the police officer did not know BEFORE that the criminal did not have any bullets and was thus not a real threat – but, you, and those like you, keep arguing that the gun was empty. In the end, the criminal could have complied with the officer, just like Saddam had numerous opportunities to comply with the UN, but the criminal, like Saddam, chose not to comply.

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    And Liala's right! If I remember the head-count correctly, 8 of the 9/11 hijackers were from Saudi Arabia. Not one was from Iraq!
    Lol, even she admitted that she was wrong… LMAO and you consider yourself a moderate – LOL!!

    Again, she argued that Bush was responsible for starting two wars and I pointed out that the impetus for the Afghanistan war was 9/11 while Iraq’s causes had more to do with Saddam’s failure to comply with the UN coupled with the threat he posed. Lol, moderate… objective voice, lol.

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    Saddam was no more a threat to this country or its national security than Kim Jung Ill (or whoever is N. Korea's president).
    Actually, in a way [that you did not intend] you are right, they are both threats, but since Clinton dropped the ball – it is too late to deal with Kim Jong Ill in a safe manner, since he is now nuclear. However, America had to act before Saddam went nuclear… believe it or not, sometimes it is better to stop a cancer BEFORE it goes critical – not after.

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    But he didn't threaten the U.S. in any way that required going to war. And even if the U.N. believed military force was necessary which many including myself contend they did not, it was still a U.N. issue, not a U.S.A. issue.
    I disagree on both counts. By not complying with the UN and making it seem as if he had/was developing WMDs he was making himself a threat to the US. He could have easily given WMD to terrorists for example, if he had them or was allowed to develop them.

    In regards to the UN, I would never put my family’s life or the lives of my countrymen in the hands of the UN for in the end; the UN does not have my family’s, nor the lives of my countrymen, best interest.

    Ultimately, the UN is ineffective because every country will only act in THEIR own best interests, but not always the best interest of everyone or even the common good. Despite the fact that the many countries in the UN recognized the threat Saddam posed, they could not act, because it only takes one vote to stop any tangible action… and Saddam had at least two votes in his pocket [Russian and France.] Make no mistake, the UN did not act, not because they believed Saddam was no threat, but rather because they could not act – and that is a big difference.

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    On this issue of potentially raising taxes on the middle class...key word here "potential"...it hasn't happened yet. So, until it does I really don't think there's anything to get all up in arms about.
    Actually, it was already has… but, in a more insidious way – for example, Obama raised taxes on tobacco which affects millions of working class families far more than the wealthy. The wealthy, can afford to buy cigarettes abroad, but the poor cannot and thus they are stuck paying for the cost.

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    I do think that if the ecomony doesn't shake loose from it's slumber soon - and all signs indicated that things are starting to slowly turn around - then taxes would have to be raised. It would be a shame, but as an American I'd be willing to pay my fair share, and so should everyone else.
    Lol, how nice of you, but many Americans rightly believe that the government is wasting money at an unprecedented rate and I, as an American, do not want to have my hard earned tax money wastefully spent finding ACORN for example.

  7. #147
    User Machiavellian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    08-21-09 @ 03:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23

    Re: 2 Obama officials: No guarantee taxes won't go up

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    What does big govt. have to do with liberals blaming US?
    Ahh, you are in London... I see. Liberals here, in the states, profess to distrust their governement so much that some even argue that 9/11 was done by America to America... ironically, many of these same fools, support liberal politicians who want expand the government - which they, of course, distrust.
    Last edited by Machiavellian; 08-04-09 at 06:15 PM.

  8. #148
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: 2 Obama officials: No guarantee taxes won't go up

    Quote Originally Posted by Machiavellian View Post
    Ahh, you are in London... I see. Liberals here, in the states, profess to distrust their governement so much that some even argue that 9/11 was done by America to America... ironically, these many of these same fools, support liberal politicians who want expand the government.
    That is one thing i never pay attention to.
    We have the same nuts here, 7/7 was planned. Yeah right, Government can't even do healthcare right and we expect them to mastermind a terrorist plot? Hah


  9. #149
    User Machiavellian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    08-21-09 @ 03:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23

    Re: 2 Obama officials: No guarantee taxes won't go up

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    Blame US for everything?
    No ofc not
    I blame Blair, the dumb ****tard who dragged us along and lied to us with US into a war that didn't need to be fought.
    Hmm, "a war that didn't need to be fought..." This same argument could have been made if the US and the UK would have acted against Hitler BEFORE he was fully remilitarized.

    Would their actions have been right? Based on what we know today, yes. The same could apply to Saddam; if Saddam was allowed to develop and have WMD's... who knows what path history would have taken.

    In the end, this is a dangerous game to play since no one can know for certain what would have happened if an opposite decision was made - that is why the fact that Saddam did not have WMD's does not carry any weight with me. For me, it was enough that he was not complying and that he posed a real potential threat.
    Last edited by Machiavellian; 08-04-09 at 06:17 PM.

  10. #150
    User Machiavellian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    08-21-09 @ 03:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23

    Re: 2 Obama officials: No guarantee taxes won't go up

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    That is one thing i never pay attention to.
    We have the same nuts here, 7/7 was planned. Yeah right, Government can't even do healthcare right and we expect them to mastermind a terrorist plot? Hah
    Lol, we agree on something!!

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •