Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 52

Thread: Remains of U.S. Pilot Missing 18 Years in Iraq Found

  1. #11
    Educator a777pilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Flower Mound, in the basement
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 08:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    815

    Re: Remains of U.S. Pilot Missing 18 Years in Iraq Found

    You state you are from Canada/China, therefore your observations and opinions are of no great importance to Americans. But, please, feel free to avail yourself of the freedoms our military, at great personal cost, have secured for the United States of America.
    I came into this world fighting, screaming and covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way.

  2. #12
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Remains of U.S. Pilot Missing 18 Years in Iraq Found

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    I understand the PR potential of this story, but it doesn't change the fact. The dollars invested in finding the body have more value than the improved opinion in the military of a few people.
    Says who? Do you know how much they spent? Were you privy to the discussions over valuation of PR?

    You mistake my emotional investment, in that I have none. I'm not angry, just making an observation... and I would make the same observation if it were an 18 year-old search and rescue case for a civilian. Even a murder case would go into the cold files by that time.
    And again, you wouldn't have any idea of the costs and benefits in that case either.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  3. #13
    Why so serious?

    Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Washington State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,292

    Re: Remains of U.S. Pilot Missing 18 Years in Iraq Found

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    I understand the PR potential of this story, but it doesn't change the fact. The dollars invested in finding the body have more value than the improved opinion in the military of a few people.



    You mistake my emotional investment, in that I have none. I'm not angry, just making an observation... and I would make the same observation if it were an 18 year-old search and rescue case for a civilian. Even a murder case would go into the cold files by that time.
    The military people volunteer to do a great service to this country, unlike most civilians who might turn up missing and definitely not murderers. That you would try to equate the sacrifice of a military member with a lost hiker or a common criminal speaks volumes. The families of military members lost in action deserve to know what happened to their loved ones. It's their sacrifice too.
    "I believe in a Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the harmony of all that exists, but not in a God who concerns himself with the fate and actions of human beings."

    --Albert Einstein, 1929

  4. #14
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: Remains of U.S. Pilot Missing 18 Years in Iraq Found

    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion89 View Post
    Remains of U.S. Pilot Missing 18 Years in Iraq Found - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News - FOXNews.com

    Remains of the first American lost in the 1991 Persian Gulf War have been found in the Anbar province of Iraq after a nearly 20-year search, the U.S. Navy said Sunday.

    The Armed Forces Institute of Pathology has positively identified the remains of Captain Michael "Scott" Speicher, whose disappearance has bedeviled investigators since his jet was shot down over the Iraq desert on the first night of the 1991 war.

    The Navy said the discovery illustrates the military's commitment to bring its troops home.

    "This is a testament to how the Navy never stops looking for one of its own. No matter how long it takes," Commander Cappy Surette, a spokesman for the U.S. Navy, told FOX News.
    I'm glad they were able to find his remains. Looks like I have a POW bracelet that needs to go in the mail tomorrow.


  5. #15
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,590

    Re: Remains of U.S. Pilot Missing 18 Years in Iraq Found

    Welcome home, sir. You were never forgotten.

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Remains of U.S. Pilot Missing 18 Years in Iraq Found

    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion89 View Post
    As for your last comment yes I can ask you not to comment I started the thread if you don't have anything positive to say about this thread then don't post in it.
    You can ask me, but I don't have to listen.

    Quote Originally Posted by a777pilot
    You state you are from Canada/China, therefore your observations and opinions are of no great importance to Americans. But, please, feel free to avail yourself of the freedoms our military, at great personal cost, have secured for the United States of America.
    I see that nationalism overrides the ability to engage in logical debate. How sad.

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC
    Says who? Do you know how much they spent? Were you privy to the discussions over valuation of PR?
    No, were you?

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC
    And again, you wouldn't have any idea of the costs and benefits in that case either.
    Since you're the expert, please provide me with a cost/benefit analysis.

  7. #17
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    48,013

    Re: Remains of U.S. Pilot Missing 18 Years in Iraq Found

    The difference is Right's not the one making the outlandish claim "What a waste of resources", that was you. Its not on him to provide things that back up YOUR statement, that's on YOU.

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Remains of U.S. Pilot Missing 18 Years in Iraq Found

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    The difference is Right's not the one making the outlandish claim "What a waste of resources", that was you. Its not on him to provide things that back up YOUR statement, that's on YOU.
    He was the one who originaly said that the PR gained outweighs the cost. It's up to him to prove that positive statement, as I cannot prove a negative.

    So you're wrong in that regard.

    Second... there is obviously just a difference in views. If I were head of the military, and thankfully I'm not, I would not waste resources to find a body. We already know he's dead. Life goes on. I'd rather invest those resources on living people in the field.
    Last edited by Orion; 08-03-09 at 09:14 AM.

  9. #19
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    48,013

    Re: Remains of U.S. Pilot Missing 18 Years in Iraq Found

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    He was the one who originaly said that the PR gained outweighs the cost. It's up to him to prove that positive statement, as I cannot prove a negative.
    Actually, his came as a response to YOUR accusation which you've still yet to back up with any facts. Not to mention that he didn't say that it outweighed the cost, only that it was a rational use of resources based on what the fact that it didn't appear they were dedicated specific units of people to look for the man. Regardless, it was in response to YOUR unbacked claim.

    So you're wrong in that regard.
    Nope

    Second... there is obviously just a difference in views. If I were head of the military, and thankfully I'm not, I would not waste resources to find a body. We already know he's dead. Life goes on. I'd rather invest those resources on living people in the field.
    Well, we agree about one thing at least

  10. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Remains of U.S. Pilot Missing 18 Years in Iraq Found

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Actually, his came as a response to YOUR accusation which you've still yet to back up with any facts. Not to mention that he didn't say that it outweighed the cost, only that it was a rational use of resources based on what the fact that it didn't appear they were dedicated specific units of people to look for the man. Regardless, it was in response to YOUR unbacked claim.
    It wasn't a claim, but an opinion. Notice how I never posted any dazzling statistics. I just felt it was a waste of resources, nothing more. It was Right who said that the value of the PR outweighs the cost of finding them... he then went on further to ask me if I have some insider information I'm not disclosing. So, while he's at it, he can provide me with some sources.

    Now STOP butting your nose in and give him a chance to answer me. Thanks!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •