Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 141

Thread: Student ordered to pay $650,000 for downloads

  1. #131
    Professor
    Travelsonic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,375

    Re: Student ordered to pay $650,000 for downloads

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Works for me.

    Then again, I'm not trying to justify theft, and don't steal music off the internet.
    Are you implying that I at all am defending the infringement of copyrights and piracy of works?

    And re: morally it is theft.

    That is a matter of opinion, not fact, as morality is relative. I accept that to you morally you think it theft.
    Last edited by Travelsonic; 08-06-09 at 02:46 PM.
    Nationalism in high dosages may be hazardous to your health. Please consult a psychiatrist before beginning a regular regimen, and if feelings of elitism and douchbaggery continue, discontinue immediately before you become unable to do so on your own.

  2. #132
    Professor
    Travelsonic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,375

    Re: Student ordered to pay $650,000 for downloads

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post

    He needs to deal with it.
    If anything you need to deal with others having/defending an opinion differing than yours. Just saying' .

    Morals are relative, and most of the people I talked to are smart enough to know that while they MAY (again, relativity) be on the same level, that doesn't make them the same in enforcement, consequence, and impact.

    But we started talking about this on a factual/legal level, hence why I defended my points so vigorously. morals are relative, I don't care if you think they are morally the same in that your beliefs are your beliefs to interject and defend as you please. I just HATE it when people take that and apply it to everybody as fact, when you don't know what other people necessarily will feel, or if others may think differently about an issue than yourself. I also really hate it when people take that and go into a factual discussion stating such things when, in the realm of the legal/factual arguments, it is false.

    Of course I don't expect one to separate both completely, as these issues require discussion of both realms - it boils down to stating opinion as fact, which I feel is always wrong regardless of which side does it and what issue is being discussed.
    Last edited by Travelsonic; 08-06-09 at 02:45 PM.
    Nationalism in high dosages may be hazardous to your health. Please consult a psychiatrist before beginning a regular regimen, and if feelings of elitism and douchbaggery continue, discontinue immediately before you become unable to do so on your own.

  3. #133
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Student ordered to pay $650,000 for downloads

    Quote Originally Posted by scourge99 View Post
    With what evidence?
    That's the point, there is none.

    Quote Originally Posted by scourge99 View Post
    Irrelevant to my point. We can't stop people from murdering people or holding up banks or any other innumerable illegal activities. It doesn't mean we make the activities legal.
    If you can't reasonably enforce the law, then there is no purpose of its existence. You can reasonably enforce the law against murderers and bank robbers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    This is the level of your argument, the fifth grade?
    No, your attributing non physical "things" with the physical characteristic that it can be "stolen" when it can't.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  4. #134
    Sage
    scourge99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    01-27-12 @ 02:50 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,233

    Re: Student ordered to pay $650,000 for downloads

    Quote Originally Posted by Kernel Sanders View Post
    FWIW from the time the RIAA sent him a letter notifying him of the lawsuit until the verdict was rendered, there was a standing offer to settle for $4,000
    what a dumbass. His attorney fees probably cost more than that.
    If you believe in the Supernatural then you can become a millionaire!

    Questioning or criticizing another's core beliefs is inadvertently perceived as offensive and rude.

  5. #135
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Student ordered to pay $650,000 for downloads

    Quote Originally Posted by scourge99 View Post
    what a dumbass. His attorney fees probably cost more than that.
    That was pretty stupid, him filing for bankruptcy is going to cost at least half of that.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  6. #136
    Sage
    scourge99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    01-27-12 @ 02:50 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,233

    Re: Student ordered to pay $650,000 for downloads

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    That is the point. There is none
    This man was convicted with evidence!!!! He was found guilty beyond a reasonable doubt by a jury of his peers! You think they just shook a magic eight-ball? You're in denial sir. This isn't the only case where this has happened.

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    If you can't reasonably enforce the law, then there is no purpose of its existence.
    Considering that this was a successful case it appears the law can in fact be enforced.

    In fact, fear of the reprecussions keep many businesses from violating IP despite the difficulty in prosecuting individuals.
    If you believe in the Supernatural then you can become a millionaire!

    Questioning or criticizing another's core beliefs is inadvertently perceived as offensive and rude.

  7. #137
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Student ordered to pay $650,000 for downloads

    Quote Originally Posted by scourge99 View Post
    This man was convicted with evidence!!!! He was found guilty beyond a reasonable doubt by a jury of his peers! You think they just shook a magic eight-ball? You're in denial sir. This isn't the only case where this has happened.
    This is one case out of millions of potential cases, again it can not be reasonably enforced.

    Quote Originally Posted by scourge99 View Post
    Considering that this was a successful case it appears the law can in fact be enforced.

    In fact, fear of the reprecussions keep many businesses from violating IP despite the difficulty in prosecuting individuals.
    One case does not equal most of the cases.

    Businesses are public making them easy to catch were individuals are not and are more numerous making it incredibly difficult to impossible to prosecute all of the cases.

    It is largely unenforceable.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  8. #138
    Sage
    scourge99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    01-27-12 @ 02:50 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,233

    Re: Student ordered to pay $650,000 for downloads

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    This is one case out of millions of potential cases, again it can not be reasonably enforced.



    One case does not equal most of the cases.

    Businesses are public making them easy to catch were individuals are not and are more numerous making it incredibly difficult to impossible to prosecute all of the cases.

    It is largely unenforceable.
    So what's the negative consequence of having a law that isn't easily enforced when its prosecuted almost entirely in civil court?
    If you believe in the Supernatural then you can become a millionaire!

    Questioning or criticizing another's core beliefs is inadvertently perceived as offensive and rude.

  9. #139
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Student ordered to pay $650,000 for downloads

    Quote Originally Posted by scourge99 View Post
    So what's the negative consequence of having a law that isn't easily enforced when its prosecuted almost entirely in civil court?
    Wasted time in prosecuting people, wasted time with the creation of the law.
    It's a huge waste of time with no noticeable effect.

    I've mentioned this earlier in this thread and I'll say it again.
    If you want me to concede on IP, then the length of ownership must be brought into a reasonable time frame.

    Until then I believe that downloading and uploading is all on the up and up.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  10. #140
    Sage
    scourge99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    01-27-12 @ 02:50 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,233

    Re: Student ordered to pay $650,000 for downloads

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Wasted time in prosecuting people,
    obviously this case wasn't a waste of time. Judges have the ability to dismiss "waste of time" cases.

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    wasted time with the creation of the law.
    Well I disagree with your opinion. I find IP rights worth protecting even if its difficult in certain circumstances.

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    It's a huge waste of time with no noticeable effect.
    Upholding someones rights is never a waste of time. Yes, I understand you disagree with those rights.

    I've mentioned this earlier in this thread and I'll say it again.
    If you want me to concede on IP, then the length of ownership must be brought into a reasonable time frame.
    I don't think there is much to discuss in that area.
    If you believe in the Supernatural then you can become a millionaire!

    Questioning or criticizing another's core beliefs is inadvertently perceived as offensive and rude.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •