Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 141

Thread: Student ordered to pay $650,000 for downloads

  1. #101
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Student ordered to pay $650,000 for downloads

    Quote Originally Posted by stekim View Post
    I was not equating the two from a moral standpoint. I was merely pointing out that most people doing immoral things do not mind being labeled.
    It doesn't bother me because people who support IP have yet to reconcile that you can't control intangibles once they have been shared with others.

    A secret is best kept between 3 people when 2 of them are dead.

    Quote Originally Posted by stekim View Post
    It is indeed. Except when the label is simply a statement of fact.
    As it has been shown, thief would not apply but that's fine.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  2. #102
    Walk with me in hell.
    stekim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    09-21-10 @ 12:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,106

    Re: Student ordered to pay $650,000 for downloads

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post

    You bought the CD, not the copyright.
    Right. You can give the CD to your kid. The CD is yours to give away. Just like your car or a hat. What you cannot legally do is copy the CD and give that to your kid.
    Wow. Am I awesome or what?

  3. #103
    Banned Coolguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Seen
    01-26-10 @ 03:40 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    846

    Re: Student ordered to pay $650,000 for downloads

    Quote Originally Posted by Travelsonic View Post
    Grokster/morpheus, Dowling v. U.S... they prove you wrong.
    I agree that legally it proves me wrong at this time.
    And yet their actions still fit the legal definition.


    Quote Originally Posted by Travelsonic View Post
    ... so to day they are deprived of the right to distribute, IMO, is fallacious.
    I disagree.
    I never said they were deprived of their 'right' to distribute.
    I clearly said; "They are deprived of distributing 'their' property (it) in the way they choose".



    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Sorry but once something moves from your sphere of control you have zero reasonable expectation of control.

    That is the problem with this situation, your expecting to own something outside your direct control which defies the principle of ownership.
    Yeah, right!
    So what is the harm in it, if I borrow/(Identity Theft) your name for my purposes if I I don't damage it?
    When you knowingly take possession of another's property, when you are not legally allowed, is theft as far as I am concerned, as well as wrong.
    It is only a matter of time before the laws recognize it for criminalization purposes.


    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    You zero expectation of control once your idea, song, whatever is told, shown or heard by someone else.
    No.
    The laws/controls are there for them to follow. They just don't like them because they want something for nothing.

  4. #104
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Student ordered to pay $650,000 for downloads

    Quote Originally Posted by Coolguy View Post
    Yeah, right!
    So what is the harm in it, if I borrow/(Identity Theft) your name for my purposes if I I don't damage it?
    When you knowingly take possession of another's property, when you are not legally allowed, is theft as far as I am concerned, as well as wrong.
    It is only a matter of time before the laws recognize it for criminalization purposes.
    If your not ruining my credit or financial well being by actually stealing from me, then why do I care?


    Quote Originally Posted by Coolguy View Post
    No.
    The laws/controls are there for them to follow. They just don't like them because they want something for nothing.
    Not all laws and controls are created with justice in mind and are merely representations of institutional corruption in Washington.

    You don't have to follow "illegal" laws. It's part of the idea of nullification.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  5. #105
    Banned Coolguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Seen
    01-26-10 @ 03:40 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    846

    Re: Student ordered to pay $650,000 for downloads

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    If your not ruining my credit or financial well being by actually stealing from me, then why do I care?
    Because it is still theft.


    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    You don't have to follow "illegal" laws. It's part of the idea of nullification.
    Yes you do until that law is changed.

  6. #106
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Student ordered to pay $650,000 for downloads

    Quote Originally Posted by Coolguy View Post
    Because it is still theft.
    If I am deprived of nothing, it can't possibly be theft.

    Quote Originally Posted by Coolguy View Post
    Yes you do until that law is changed.
    No I don't.
    You can bow before your masters but I am my own.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  7. #107
    Banned Coolguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Seen
    01-26-10 @ 03:40 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    846

    Re: Student ordered to pay $650,000 for downloads

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    If I am deprived of nothing, it can't possibly be theft.
    If you believe so.


    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    No I don't.
    You can bow before your masters but I am my own.
    Tell that to someone who doesn't know better.

  8. #108
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Student ordered to pay $650,000 for downloads

    Quote Originally Posted by Coolguy View Post
    Tell that to someone who doesn't know better.
    I do as I wish, not to just flaunt the law but because I will do what I want.
    Unjust laws will not be followed by me.

    I don't need anyone else affirming or dis-affirming my life to make me feel "special."

    I don't care if your unconvinced.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  9. #109
    Banned Coolguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Seen
    01-26-10 @ 03:40 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    846

    Re: Student ordered to pay $650,000 for downloads

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    I do as I wish, not to just flaunt the law but because I will do what I want.
    Unjust laws will not be followed by me.

    I don't need anyone else affirming or dis-affirming my life to make me feel "special."

    I don't care if your unconvinced.
    And yet you felt the need to tell me that.
    So let me make it clear for you.
    I really don't care what you do.

  10. #110
    Walk with me in hell.
    stekim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    09-21-10 @ 12:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,106

    Re: Student ordered to pay $650,000 for downloads

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    I do as I wish, not to just flaunt the law but because I will do what I want.
    Unjust laws will not be followed by me.

    I don't need anyone else affirming or dis-affirming my life to make me feel "special."

    I don't care if your unconvinced.
    I agree with that. I don't care what the law is either. But I also don't feel sympathy when people like the thief in the example here get caught. And, of course, laws against theft are just laws.
    Wow. Am I awesome or what?

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •