Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Familiar Face Reappears for Key Role in Nevada

  1. #1
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,725

    Familiar Face Reappears for Key Role in Nevada

    LAS VEGAS — President Obama on Friday nominated one of the nine federal prosecutors controversially fired by the Bush administration to retake his old job.

    The renomination of the former United States attorney, Daniel G. Bogden, to the post for Nevada, came at the urging of Senator Harry Reid, Democrat of Nevada and the majority leader.
    Mr. Reid said in a statement that he supported Mr. Bogden because he was “a highly qualified and skilled lawyer who served Nevada well before being wrongly removed from office.” Mr. Reid’s spokesman, Jon Summers, said the senator was “trying to right that wrong.”
    One of the 9 prosecutors fired by the Bush administration, causing a war between Liberals and Conservatives, has just been rehired by the Obama administration. There are going to be 2 arguments here....

    The hyperpartisan Liberal argument - Obama hired back an honest prosecutor who was fired for refusing to conduct witch hunts on Democrats, while giving Republican crooks a free ride.

    The hyperpartisan Conservative argument - Obama hired the prosecutor to dis the Bush administration, which had fired him for being incompetent. Hiring a prosecutor who was fired for incompetence shows that the Obama administration is incompetent.

    I suspect that the truth is going to be somewhere between these 2 extremes. This is where the rest of you come in. Where, exactly, between these 2 extremes does the truth lie, or does one extreme or the other represent the truth?

    Article is here.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  2. #2
    Sage
    Oftencold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    A small village in Alaska
    Last Seen
    05-09-14 @ 12:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    5,044

    Re: Familiar Face Reappears for Key Role in Nevada

    Well, just as when I say Bush could fire whom he wished, Obama may hire whom he wishes.
    Quod scripsi, scripsi

  3. #3
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Familiar Face Reappears for Key Role in Nevada

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    The hyperpartisan Liberal argument - Obama hired back an honest prosecutor who was fired for refusing to conduct witch hunts on Democrats, while giving Republican crooks a free ride.

    The hyperpartisan Conservative argument - Obama hired the prosecutor to dis the Bush administration, which had fired him for being incompetent. Hiring a prosecutor who was fired for incompetence shows that the Obama administration is incompetent.
    The answer is "Yes".

    An otherwise decent lawyer who pissed off his former boss gets hired by the new boss, who delights in pissing on the old boss.

    It was politics that got him fired and it was politics that got him hired.

    As long as he's a decent lawyer, I'm not going to worry too terribly much about it.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Familiar Face Reappears for Key Role in Nevada

    Quote Originally Posted by Oftencold View Post
    Well, just as when I say Bush could fire whom he wished, Obama may hire whom he wishes.
    Yet another person who really doesn't understand how the dismissals were carried out -- never mind the ethics of why they were fired.

    No, the powers of the President do not make him Head of Human Resource for the Executive Branch.

  5. #5
    User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Houghton, Michigan
    Last Seen
    11-07-09 @ 12:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    98

    Re: Familiar Face Reappears for Key Role in Nevada

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    Yet another person who really doesn't understand how the dismissals were carried out -- never mind the ethics of why they were fired.

    No, the powers of the President do not make him Head of Human Resource for the Executive Branch.
    Er....

    Quote Originally Posted by U.S. Constitution
    He shall have Power, by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, to make Treaties, provided two thirds of the Senators present concur; and he shall nominate, and by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, shall appoint Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls, Judges of the supreme Court, and all other Officers of the United States, whose Appointments are not herein otherwise provided for, and which shall be established by Law: but the Congress may by Law vest the Appointment of such inferior Officers, as they think proper, in the President alone, in the Courts of Law, or in the Heads of Departments.
    Congress can check the President on appointments, but other than that, yes, he is the head of HR. Also, that would be the Judicial branch.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •