Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 77

Thread: E-Mails Show Larger White House Role in Prosecutor Firings

  1. #51
    Banned Coolguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Seen
    01-26-10 @ 03:40 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    846

    Re: E-Mails Show Larger White House Role in Prosecutor Firings

    Quote Originally Posted by Binary_Digit View Post
    Weapons in Moldy Disrepair?
    They found those too!
    Last edited by Coolguy; 07-31-09 at 03:03 PM.

  2. #52
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: E-Mails Show Larger White House Role in Prosecutor Firings

    Quote Originally Posted by PogueMoran View Post
    Wait. You say the report by Bush's DOJ investigating itself would not be partisan? This is like letting Colonel Sanders watch over your chicken coup while you're away. The DOJ was obliterated under Gonzales' reign. The civil rights division was watered down and understaffed and was left in complete disarray. I'd be more likely to posit that the DOJ investigation of the DOJ is more likely to be biased and partisan than the congressional report.
    Oh no, not this report. This report was written by career DOJ employees at both the Inspector General's office and the office of professional responsibility. My husband used to work with two guys who work in the Inspector General's office. All you have to do is read the report--very matter of fact. It's neither pro-Bush nor anti-Bush. Their conclusion: These are the facts and we recommend a criminal investigation.

  3. #53
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Last Seen
    11-03-11 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,834

    Re: E-Mails Show Larger White House Role in Prosecutor Firings

    Quote Originally Posted by aps View Post
    Oh no, not this report. This report was written by career DOJ employees at both the Inspector General's office and the office of professional responsibility. My husband used to work with two guys who work in the Inspector General's office. All you have to do is read the report--very matter of fact. It's neither pro-Bush nor anti-Bush. Their conclusion: These are the facts and we recommend a criminal investigation.
    Werent many of the career employees pushed out by Gonzales?

  4. #54
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: E-Mails Show Larger White House Role in Prosecutor Firings

    Quote Originally Posted by PogueMoran View Post
    Werent many of the career employees pushed out by Gonzales?
    Pogue, DOJ is HUUUUUUGE. These are two offices that are not political by nature. My husband does environmental enforcement. All of those people are career employees. Their work was hindered considerably during the Bush years. You know why.

  5. #55
    Sage
    Oftencold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    A small village in Alaska
    Last Seen
    05-09-14 @ 12:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    5,044

    Re: E-Mails Show Larger White House Role in Prosecutor Firings

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    See where I'm going?
    Yes, round and round in circles.

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...post1058166111
    Quod scripsi, scripsi

  6. #56
    Guru
    BWG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    South Coast
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 11:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,203

    Re: E-Mails Show Larger White House Role in Prosecutor Firings

    July 31, 2009

    WASHINGTON, DC – President Obama today nominated the following individuals as United States Attorneys:

    • Daniel G. Bogden, District of Nevada
    • Deborah K. Gilg, District of Nebraska
    • Timothy J. Heaphy, Western District of Virginia
    • Peter F. Neronha, District of Rhode Island


    The White House - Press Office - President Obama Nominates Four U.S. Attorneys

    If the first name sounds familiar it's because he was that districts U. S. Attorney before being fired by the Bush administration.

    Bogden was part of the controversial U. S. Attorneys firings/resignations that prompted allegations of impropriety and set off investigations.
    “We just simply don’t know how to govern” - Rep. Steve Womack (R-AR) a member of the House Budget Committee

  7. #57
    Battle Ready
    Grim17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern U.S.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,127
    Blog Entries
    20

    Re: E-Mails Show Larger White House Role in Prosecutor Firings

    I say again, this is a NON-STORY. It was a non-story then, and it's even more irrelevant now.

    I'm sorry that so many of you now have such a deep and painful void in your lives, now that Bush isn't around to feed that seething hatred that's been the center of your existence for so many years, but drudging up phony scandals from the past isn't doing you any good.

    It's time to let go... If you don't have the strength and willpower to do this on your own, I recommend you attend group counseling, or find the nearest mental health facility and seek their advice on how to get your life back together.

    Hatred will destroy your life, and the lives of those around you.

    .

    .

  8. #58
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: E-Mails Show Larger White House Role in Prosecutor Firings

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    I say again, this is a NON-STORY. It was a non-story then, and it's even more irrelevant now.

    I'm sorry that so many of you now have such a deep and painful void in your lives, now that Bush isn't around to feed that seething hatred that's been the center of your existence for so many years, but drudging up phony scandals from the past isn't doing you any good.

    It's time to let go... If you don't have the strength and willpower to do this on your own, I recommend you attend group counseling, or find the nearest mental health facility and seek their advice on how to get your life back together.

    Hatred will destroy your life, and the lives of those around you.

    .

    .
    This coming from a poster who exudes hatred toward the current administration! Real credible, Grim.

  9. #59
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: E-Mails Show Larger White House Role in Prosecutor Firings

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    E-Mails Show Larger White House Role in Prosecutor Firings

    File this under no WMD's or 'we knew it all along'. I mean who is really surprised by this. Of course Rove had a hand in the firings. It was shameful.

    I had read somewhere that the 'replacement' attorneys came from Bob Jones university and other 'acceptable' law schools.
    Bob Jones doesn't have a law school, but close.

    Quote Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
    You have wide discretion to dismiss them, but you can't dismiss them b/c they won't politicize the justice dept. What Mr. Bush did was unprecedented. Sure, Pres' have replaced all at the beginning of the term, but what the Bush WH did, no that never happened before.
    Nope, never before.

    President Carter replaced U.S. Attorney David Marston at the request of Democratic Representative Joshua Eilberg. Marston had been investigating corruption charges against Eilberg and Daniel Flood, another Democratic Representative.[173] The probe continued after the attorney was replaced, however, and Eilberg lost his 1978 reelection bid. Eilberg was eventually sentenced to five years probation and a $10,000 fine,[173][174] and Flood was censured for bribery by 96th United States Congress.
    Dismissal of U.S. attorneys controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Quote Originally Posted by Binary_Digit View Post
    And for about the 501st time, serving at the "pleasure of the President" is not a blank check to obstruct justice or violate the Hatch Act.

    "Firing a U.S. Attorney in order to impede or obstruct a pending criminal case, or a pending criminal investigation, could constitute an obstruction of justice. (snip) If Mr. Iglesias or another prosecutor was fired in retaliation for failing to bring vote fraud cases that lacked a reasonable legal or factual basis, the firing could also violate the criminal Hatch Act prohibition on retaliation contained in 18 USC 606. (snip) To the extent a prosecutor was fired in order to bring in a more compliant individual to pursue politically advantageous cases, such misconduct could possibly violate the prohibitions on obstructing government proceedings contained in 18 USC 1505 and 18 USC 1512(c)(2)."
    You're citing as evidence a report prepared by the Democratic leaders of the Judiciary Committee?

    Furthermore, this of course assumes:

    1) That was the reason the prosecutors were fired,
    2) There was no reasonable legal basis for the vote fraud case, and
    3) The reason for pursuing the vote fraud case was because of political considerations rather than a desire to see the law enforced.

    There's absolutely nothing indicating that those three conditions are satisfied.

    What has happened here is that things have been turned on their head. If this were truly about investigating a crime, this "investigation" would have been dropped once they realized that the vote fraud cases were not patently ludicrous. Instead, the "investigation" has continued on in an attempt to dig up more circumstantial evidence to prove tangential points.

    "Concerns about the apparently political nature of these firings are only heightened by the emerging allegations that some U.S. Attorneys who were retained by the Department - the so-called "loyal Bushies" - may have selectively prosecuted Democrats. Bringing the force of the federal criminal justice apparatus to bear on an individual based in any way on that person's political affiliation is a clear abuse of the prosecutorial function, and may well violate the person's civil rights.
    Absolutely no evidence that this happened.

    "Evidence that such wrongdoing may have occurred includes a recent academic study finding that federal prosecutors during the Bush Administration have indicted Democratic officeholders far more frequently than their Republican counterparts. The study's authors found that of the 375 cases they identified, 10 involved independents, 67 involved Republicans, and 298 involved Democrats, and noted that local Democrats were seven times as likely as Republicans to be subject to criminal charges from the Department of Justice."
    Revisiting, and re-debunking, the political profiling study | Stubborn Facts
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  10. #60
    Sage
    Oftencold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    A small village in Alaska
    Last Seen
    05-09-14 @ 12:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    5,044

    Re: E-Mails Show Larger White House Role in Prosecutor Firings

    So, since the House, Senate and Presidency are now inhabited by Bush's political opponents, one would expect that if they had a case, they'd make it. They don't, even under the forceful demands of their emotionality overwrought minions.

    So any person of reasonalbe intelligence if forced to conclude that they have no case.

    Time to move on or risk being medicated.
    Quod scripsi, scripsi

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •