Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34

Thread: Senators push nationwide ban on texting while driving

  1. #1
    Pathetic Douchebag
    Cilogy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    10-10-14 @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,587

    Senators push nationwide ban on texting while driving

    Senators push nationwide ban on texting while driving - CNN.com

    Ok so, all I can pretty much say is ... its about damn time.

    Anyone guilty of this? When I was a new driver I admit that I did this same thing, but I have a set of very important safety rules since I got a speeding ticket last year.

    The thing that angers me the most about my friends who text while driving is that they always claim that its not as bad as doing other things. They say they feel safer since they switched from having a car phone to just texting. That's pretty hilarious and even more so, dangerous. The report even says it right there that "when compared with dialing, talking, listening or reaching for an electronic device, texting posed the greatest accident risk ..."

    Now, whether this is important, debatable, breaking news, I am unsure of, but I believe its an important piece of news that can avoid deadly statistics like this one, also mentioned in the CNN report:

    "In September, a commuter train engineer missed a stop signal while trading text messages with a friend, leading to a collision with a freight train that killed 25 people in California, according to federal investigators. The accident also injured 101 people."

    What do you think, is it justified? Or do you still think it "doesn't affect you?"


  2. #2
    Student Sammyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-29-09 @ 04:29 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    185

    Re: Senators push nationwide ban on texting while driving

    I think that it's a good law, but how is it going to be enforced. Speeders break the law all the time, and get away with it, and you can't train a radar gun at a car and know if the guy driving is texting. I wonder about laws that are so hard to enforce.

  3. #3
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Senators push nationwide ban on texting while driving

    I hate these damned laws. These are nothing more than selectively enforced laws at the discretion of the cops. Something made so that it makes another fine to hand out. All you need for things like this is reckless or careless driving, and nothing more.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #4
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,480

    Re: Senators push nationwide ban on texting while driving

    It's a very good law and one that needs strict enforcement. I hope all states adopt a statute that prohibits this as well, complete with heavy fines and points on your license.
    *insert profound statement here*

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Senators push nationwide ban on texting while driving

    Nope, not a federal issue. Let the damn congress go back to doing what the Constitutional allows it to do instead of gallivanting all over the map doing fairy god mother work the states can handle just fine if the Congress got the hell out of the way.

    And...there's no need for a NEW law banning texting while driving, there's perfectly good laws on the books making it illegal to do other distracting tasks while driving. It's against the law to apply mascara while driving, and yes, some dumb broads have killed people doing just that. It's against the law to read newspapers while driving, to shave, to build model airplanes, to tie your shoes, to have sex, to change clothes, to do any damn thing you can think of that's not driving. And the states don't have an individual law against each and every possible thing to do.

  6. #6
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,480

    Re: Senators push nationwide ban on texting while driving

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I hate these damned laws. These are nothing more than selectively enforced laws at the discretion of the cops. Something made so that it makes another fine to hand out. All you need for things like this is reckless or careless driving, and nothing more.
    Actually you have a very good point Ikari. States could simply amend their statutes to include this. It has to be specifically worded otherwise you open the door to tag every driver doing anything in a car but driving.
    *insert profound statement here*

  7. #7
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,898

    Re: Senators push nationwide ban on texting while driving

    I find texting while driving pretty easy, considering that you don't have to be looking at the phone and thus are less engaged in it than say talking on the phone.
    "I do not claim that every incident in the history of empire can be explained in directly economic terms. Economic interests are filtered through a political process, policies are implemented by a complex state apparatus, and the whole system generates its own momentum."

  8. #8
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: Senators push nationwide ban on texting while driving

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    It's a very good law and one that needs strict enforcement. I hope all states adopt a statute that prohibits this as well, complete with heavy fines and points on your license.
    In Virginia, they passed a law banning texting while driving; however, you cannot be pulled over for this offense. You can only be charged if the police officer pulls you over for something else (speeding, reckless driving, etc.). That pisses me off!

  9. #9
    Guru
    F107HyperSabr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Last Seen
    10-21-10 @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,617

    Re: Senators push nationwide ban on texting while driving

    Quote Originally Posted by Cilogy View Post
    Senators push nationwide ban on texting while driving - CNN.com

    Ok so, all I can pretty much say is ... its about damn time.

    Anyone guilty of this? When I was a new driver I admit that I did this same thing, but I have a set of very important safety rules since I got a speeding ticket last year.

    The thing that angers me the most about my friends who text while driving is that they always claim that its not as bad as doing other things. They say they feel safer since they switched from having a car phone to just texting. That's pretty hilarious and even more so, dangerous. The report even says it right there that "when compared with dialing, talking, listening or reaching for an electronic device, texting posed the greatest accident risk ..."

    Now, whether this is important, debatable, breaking news, I am unsure of, but I believe its an important piece of news that can avoid deadly statistics like this one, also mentioned in the CNN report:

    "In September, a commuter train engineer missed a stop signal while trading text messages with a friend, leading to a collision with a freight train that killed 25 people in California, according to federal investigators. The accident also injured 101 people."

    What do you think, is it justified? Or do you still think it "doesn't affect you?"
    What a pack of fools if they are if they want to pass laws for private passenger vehicles. Private passenger vehicle laws are the responsibility of the states and /or local govrnments. The Feds need to stay the blast out of that area. Commercial trains, planes, ferry boats, and planes the feds may be a diferent case and the Feds probably have the law behind them to screw with those types of transportation methods.

    You know how liberals say stay out of our bedrooms and the religious conversatives say stay out of my churches to the feds well I say stay out of my car.
    Last edited by F107HyperSabr; 07-29-09 at 09:33 PM.
    I do not recall the Viet Cong asking me if I was a natural born or Naturalized American before they shot at me, they just shot at all of us f107HyperSabr

  10. #10
    Guru
    F107HyperSabr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Last Seen
    10-21-10 @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,617

    Re: Senators push nationwide ban on texting while driving

    Quote Originally Posted by aps View Post
    In Virginia, they passed a law banning texting while driving; however, you cannot be pulled over for this offense. You can only be charged if the police officer pulls you over for something else (speeding, reckless driving, etc.). That pisses me off!
    What psses you off speeding, reckless driving, or the cops f-ing with you ?
    I do not recall the Viet Cong asking me if I was a natural born or Naturalized American before they shot at me, they just shot at all of us f107HyperSabr

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •