Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 55

Thread: Drive to legalize marijuana rolls on in California

  1. #41
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: Drive to legalize marijuana rolls on in California

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Because the government will get greedy and merely try to replace the black marketeer, keeping the retail price almost as high as it's current ridiculous cost. And this idiocy will provide the niche for the black market to survive.
    It is CRITICAL that this is done right so that it can get it out of the black market, and out of the hand of our children.

    As pro-legalization as I am, I am completely against the proposed Mass. legislation which would levy as much as $250/Oz in taxes. Whats the point when (this is subject to geographic variance) you can get an ounce of Mexican shwag for $100-$200/Oz.

    Ca seems to have the balance right with their $50/Oz. still enough room to make a profit, and still plenty of leeway to sell the best genetics at the same price as current low grade mexican, and still make a profit.

    Edit: on reading the actual proposed Mass. legislation I just noticed this after the taxation amounts:

    Subject to approval by the general court, such excise shall be adjusted by the authority from time to time as necessary to maximize the revenue derived therefrom, and to minimize the incentive for the sale of cannabis not in accordance with the provisions of this act.
    That is a very prudent clause, gives them plenty of room to tweak, but still one has wonder what the balance between "maximizing revenue" and "minimizing incentive" would be.
    Last edited by marduc; 07-29-09 at 09:22 PM.

  2. #42
    Student Sammyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-29-09 @ 04:29 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    185

    Re: Drive to legalize marijuana rolls on in California

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Are you done?
    That's entirely up to you, isn't it? You're the one who said that it "rarely happens" and then turned around and acted like you never allowed that it happened at all. That's on your dime, not mine.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    They do rarely give it up, and this isn't one of those cases.
    They "rarely" do it, so it stands that this could be one of those rare cases. You claiming that it isn't, carries no more weight than me claiming that it is. You can sit there and claim that they won't do it, and i can sit here and claim that we will, and at the end of the day neither of us has anything more than we had when we started.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    It's already been stated that while they will currently not go after medical marijuana, they aren't going to stop prosecuting the full of it. The federal government will overrule the State here, they've said so. California can look into getting rid of laws against it, but the DEA will not stop investigations and arrests. Sorry, you're the one who isn't reading what is there. You can stop with the condescension and just read. It's not "I say so", it's "the federal government already said so".
    I'm not being condescending, i'm holding you to a standard. I'm not sorry if you can't handle needing to be consistent in what you say. Again, that's your deal. Our gov't changes its mind all the time, so to speak. That they've said one thing for a while doesn't mean that they might not change their minds. That's fallacious reasoning.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Jesus Christ.
    Yes my child?

  3. #43
    Student Sammyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-29-09 @ 04:29 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    185

    Re: Drive to legalize marijuana rolls on in California

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Because the government will get greedy and merely try to replace the black marketeer, keeping the retail price almost as high as it's current ridiculous cost. And this idiocy will provide the niche for the black market to survive.
    Good grief!! With that sort of insight into the future you should be making a fortune in the stock market! How do you know so much about what WILL happen, for sure?

  4. #44
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Drive to legalize marijuana rolls on in California

    Quote Originally Posted by Sammyo View Post
    They "rarely" do it, so it stands that this could be one of those rare cases. You claiming that it isn't, carries no more weight than me claiming that it is. You can sit there and claim that they won't do it, and i can sit here and claim that we will, and at the end of the day neither of us has anything more than we had when we started.
    I gave you the link guy. The federal government has already stated that it will not allow the legalization of marijuana. Done deal. You're being obtuse and stubborn to hold onto a position. The States may currently be considering legalization, but at this time the federal government isn't going to let it go. It's going to take a lot more than some States wanting legalization for the federal government to let go of its power.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sammyo View Post
    I'm not being condescending, i'm holding you to a standard. I'm not sorry if you can't handle needing to be consistent in what you say. Again, that's your deal. Our gov't changes its mind all the time, so to speak. That they've said one thing for a while doesn't mean that they might not change their minds. That's fallacious reasoning.
    No, condescension and the stubbornness of a mule is all you have going for you. You try to insult me with a meaningless and nonsensical statement. I've provided the link and quotes which show the federal government has no intention at this time of letting go. The government "changes it's mind all the time". Ha. They flip flop a lot for sure, but not often does it result in the relinquishing of power. That flip flop is usually over ways to abuse power. It all comes down you want this legalized and you are taking exception because I'm saying not bloody likely. The federal government isn't just going to relinquish this power, it likes it because it gives it a lot of freedom to move against the States and the People. They've said THEMSELVES that they won't let it go. That's not me just making a claim, that's the actual federal government saying it. So I suggest you read what's been posted and maybe instead of trying to be sly and condescending and post pointless insults which have nothing to do with anything in this thread, you figure out exactly what those words mean so the next time you run your mouth you don't look the fool.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #45
    Student Sammyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-29-09 @ 04:29 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    185

    Re: Drive to legalize marijuana rolls on in California

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I gave you the link guy. The federal government has already stated that it will not allow the legalization of marijuana. Done deal.
    :: And the gov't says one thing and does another ALL THE FRICKIN' TIME. Yeah, at one time they said that alcohol was going to be illegal. You can go buy a beer at the local gas station, today. Jeez, what will it take for you to realize that what the government says is not set in stone?


    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    You're being obtuse and stubborn to hold onto a position. The States may currently be considering legalization, but at this time the federal government isn't going to let it go. It's going to take a lot more than some States wanting legalization for the federal government to let go of its power.
    Yeah, and i'm not talking about "at this time," am i? No, i'm talking about as things progress. As time goes by, the gov't changes how it does things.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    No, condescension and the stubbornness of a mule is all you have going for you.
    You're the only one being condescending and stubborn, here. If you simply realized the silliness of your accusations, you'd be embarrassed, but obviously you don't have the intellect to justly evaluate our two positions and how weak is your stance in comparison with mine. Sure, you may feel all high and mighty stating what the fed is going to do or not do forever and ever, but it's a worthless statement seeing as the gov't changes, fairly often, how it does things.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    You try to insult me with a meaningless and nonsensical statement.
    FAIL

    I'm not "trying to insult you". Just because you feel justified in saying what the gov't is going to do for the next half a century doesn't give you the right to assume my motives. If you had any dignity, you'd apologize for presuming what i'm "trying" to do.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I've provided the link and quotes which show the federal government has no intention at this time of letting go. The government "changes it's mind all the time". Ha. They flip flop a lot for sure, but not often does it result in the relinquishing of power. That flip flop is usually over ways to abuse power.
    You just did it again. "usually". Yeah, the fed usually does things a certain way. You can't just go around declaring that because the gov't usually does things one way, it'll never change. That's silly, and you know it, or you'd not put in such qualifiers as "usually".


    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    It all comes down you want this legalized and you are taking exception because I'm saying not bloody likely.
    Wrong again. Tell me, does this attitude of just going around and assuming people's motives work out for you well in your personal life. I can just see it, you meet somebody for the first time wearing a blue shirt, and you're like, "Oh, you're an asshole because you're wearing a blue shirt and only assholes wear blue shirts!" You must be a big hit at all the parties with the sort of presumptuous ideology that runs your engine.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    The federal government isn't just going to relinquish this power, it likes it because it gives it a lot of freedom to move against the States and the People. They've said THEMSELVES that they won't let it go. That's not me just making a claim, that's the actual federal government saying it.
    You can't state what the gov't will or won't do, just because of their stance in the past. Obviously the gov't changes how it does things, and that change is a hell of a lot more obvious and apparent then whether or not they'll do a specific thing in the future.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    So I suggest you read what's been posted and maybe instead of trying to be sly and condescending and post pointless insults which have nothing to do with anything in this thread, you figure out exactly what those words mean so the next time you run your mouth you don't look the fool.
    Well, why don't you stop acting like you know the future and it couldn't possibly go any other way except the way you've declared by fiat. Just go ahead and admit that things might not go exactly the way you always predict. It'll be a big weight off your shoulders, i'm sure.

  6. #46
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Drive to legalize marijuana rolls on in California

    Whatever. You can't see the forest for the trees. You want so badly for pot to be legalized that you refuse to take into account what the federal government itself says. "Oh the federal government changes its mind all the time..." blah blah blah. That's nothing more than conjecture on your part that it will just turn around on this issue. Not right now, it's going to take well more pressure on them to make them give it up.

    Just because I say something rarely happens doesn't mean that it's gaurnateed to be this time. Stop and think for a change. The government rarely gives up its power, that doesn't mean that it's gaurnateed that the government will reverse its position on marijuana. Maybe it will, but it's not likely. And it's not going to happen now, not during Obama's administration because the DEA and the federal government have already came out and said they won't stop their enforcement of marijuana laws. That's their current stance. Man, you're just being purposefully obtuse because of your personal ideals on this case. You're ignoring evidence from the federal government itself. They said they aren't going to stop. Guess what that means? They ain't gonna stop. There is going to have to be a lot of pressure other than some strapped for cash States looking into marijuana legalization to get the federal government to change its stance.

    That's reality, no matter how much you want to rally against it; that's reality. End of story. I have no interest in "debating" with a mule, so do whatever you want. But you're conjecture and speculation does nothing to change reality.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #47
    Student Sammyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-29-09 @ 04:29 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    185

    Re: Drive to legalize marijuana rolls on in California

    My bad, Ikari, you obviously know the future of the universe and what the gov't will or won't do, and your opinions are far more important than any facts or possibilities. You say that the fed won't change its mind on marijuana, and obviously, plainly, if we were to go into the future to the year 2130, the gov't would look exactly like you say it will look, and pot will still be illegal. I mean, here i was thinking that even if there was a possibility that marijuana might get legalized at some point, your "NO IT WON'T BE" claims would be wrong. I mean, all it takes is the POSSIBILITY. But what do i know. Just because the possibility exists that doesn't trump your prophetic power. Oh, and even though you have no idea what i'm thinking or what my motives are, you're obviously correct on any and all assumptions you make about me.

    Sorry to doubt your fortune telling skills. Do you forgive me?

    Oh, can you tell me what i'll be wearing tomorrow, and what my opinion will be then? Thanks.
    Last edited by Sammyo; 07-31-09 at 03:55 PM.

  8. #48
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Drive to legalize marijuana rolls on in California

    I said it will take more pressure than a few strapped for cash States wanting to legalize marijuana for the federal government to change its position. Not that it won't happen. Learn to read.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #49
    Student Sammyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-29-09 @ 04:29 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    185

    Re: Drive to legalize marijuana rolls on in California

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I said it will take more pressure than a few strapped for cash States wanting to legalize marijuana for the federal government to change its position. Not that it won't happen. Learn to read.

    Ummm...


    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    And it's not going to happen now, not during Obama's administration because the DEA and the federal government have already came out and said

    Nope. You said it won't happen now or during obama's admin. You're so sure of yourself, you must be right. There's no other explanation. I've come to see the light. Praise jesus.

  10. #50
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Drive to legalize marijuana rolls on in California

    Quote Originally Posted by Sammyo View Post
    Nope. You said it won't happen now or during obama's admin. You're so sure of yourself, you must be right. There's no other explanation. I've come to see the light. Praise jesus.
    They said they won't. That's their stance. I have your conjecture and wishful thinking saying that it's going to change, or I have official federal government stance saying that it won't. Hmmmm. "But government changes it's mind all the time" blah blah blah. Not without outside pressure. The federal government has taken the position as dictated by the Obama administration that it will not stop enforcement of marijuana laws. If a State legalizes marijuana, the federal government is not going to recognize that. That's reality. It's not going to change now, or during Obama's administration with just some States wanting to legalize it. That's it. That's fact. Without a significant increase in pressure, it's not going to change. Cry as much as you want, it's not going to change reality.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •