Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 44

Thread: Tenn. State Senator Quits after Affair with Intern

  1. #31
    Sage
    gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    uk
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,365

    Re: Tenn. State Senator Quits after Affair with Intern

    Scandal was a large part of the UK conservative Governments downfall in the 90s...Labour move in then after a few Rosie years we get the same old scandals raising there ugly heads.

    Is it not just politicians, being politicians?

    Paul
    Last edited by gunner; 07-29-09 at 08:28 AM.
    RIP THE EUROPEAN FORUM 2016

  2. #32
    Educator sam_w's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    09-24-09 @ 04:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    724

    Re: Tenn. State Senator Quits after Affair with Intern

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    So, what you are basically saying is that its okay for Democrats to do this **** because they don't have any moral standards to begin with, so who cares right? Its only the Republicans we care about when it comes to their personal lives because they have standards that they try to live by, and view in a higher regard than those of the Democrats.

    So, I guess if I don't have any standards in life, and view being a sleazeball as a positive thing, then I can make it anywhere in politics right?

    Double Standards for sure.
    Why don't you read what I posted.

  3. #33
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Tenn. State Senator Quits after Affair with Intern

    Quote Originally Posted by sam_w View Post
    Umm maybe you are missing the point? Most Democrats are not going around preaching morality onto others the same way Republicans are. Larry Craig, here is a homophobe that is gay. Mark Sanford, called on Clinton to resign. Come on Mark, still waiting for YOUR resignation (you know what with the lying being the worst thing a politician can do).

    No Democrats are FAR far far F..A..R. from perfect. But then again I do not hear Democrats preaching a morality they themselves will not live up to. Sorry but the party of "Family Values" is nothing of the sort, but a party of hypocrisy, stupidity, and downright shameful deceit. I have been listening to their preachy B.S. now for 3+ decades, and it never fails to amaze me how so many are just hypocrites.

    Tell you what though, if the Republicans still want to preach morality, why not actually go find some people that will actually live up to these ideas? But when your side chooses to prop up S.O.B.s like Newt "I cheat on every wife" Gingrich you should damn well expect to be called out for it. So now who are the idiots, the Republicans who accept Newt teaching them about morality, or the Democrats laughing at this all?
    Ahh, I love when these issues come out, because I always get a good laugh.

    Remember folks, do what so many liberals are wanting you to do, have no standards, attempt to push no standards, have no morals, set the bar so low and then its perfectly okay, acceptable, and neigh commendable if you become a sleeze because hey....you may be a liar, a cheat, a thief, etc but look on the bright side, you're not a hypocrite. And that's what really matters.

    Ignore the fact that I'd love to hear from many of the liberals that have kids...

    Do you tell your kids not to do drugs? If so, have you ever or do you ever partake?

    Do you tell your kids not to drink when they're too young or in excess? If so, have you ever done so?

    Do you tell yours kids not to drive drunk? If so, have you or do you ever get i the car even after a drink and drive?

    Do you tell your kids not to lie? Do you never lie?

    Do you tell your kids not to break the law? Do you ever speed?

    It goes on and on.

    As I've said in another thread, so often when people complain about Republican Hypocracy its pure partisanship without any actual legitimate, logical, realistic, and honest attempt to discern the situation.

    Show me the republican platform that says all people are perfect, unable to make mistakes, and always live up to the ideals placed forth for them. Quote me where that's part of the campaign. What plank of the platform is that. I'd be anxious to hear it.

    You're not going to find it, because its not there. Part of having high ideals is the understanding that sometimes people fall short of those ideals. When people do fall short the goal is not to shrug it off, say no big deal, give them essentially rewards for falling short, and saying you just keep on doing what you're doing. Its about getting them to take responsability for what they did and strive to do better.

    As I've said in many of the other republican scandals. If he had came out and blamed this on some exterior thing or tried ot claim some great liberal conspiracy to get him, I'd be amazingly angry at this guy. If he had came out and lied about this repeatedly, and especially under oath, I'd be upset with him. If he did this and his constiuency called for him to step down and he refused, I'd have issue. If he had demanded a politician step down for a similar situation and he didn't, I'd be upset. As it stands, that doesn't seem to be the case. He wouldn't get my vote for re-election, but I don't see this man as a flaming hypocrite. He was weak of will, made some bad judgements, and has taken responsability for that it seems by stepping down....that's taking responsabilities for ones own actions.

    The man wouldn't have my vote again, but the outrage of this is either completely dishonest being launched immedietely for blind partisan reasons OR is people themselves likely being hypocrites by attempting to be so outraged that the man did something hypocritical when they themselves likely have done such hypocracy themselves.

  4. #34
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: Tenn. State Senator Quits after Affair with Intern

    Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    Scandal was a large part of the UK conservative Governments downfall in the 90s...Labour move in then after a few Rosie years we get the same old scandals raising there ugly heads.

    Is it not just politicians, being politicians?

    Paul
    Indeed it is.
    A politican can go shag whoever he wants imo, just do your job good and i'll overlook it.

    US sex scandals are so boring. Gosh, spice it up a bit people!

    Where is the Russian spy?! And pools?


  5. #35
    Advisor Don't Tase Me Bro's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    11-22-09 @ 08:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    446

    Re: Tenn. State Senator Quits after Affair with Intern

    Quote Originally Posted by bhkad View Post
    What makes Republicans and/or Christians so great when it comes to ethics is that we hold up a standard and try to measure up to that standard.

    When Dems and Atheists veer from the straight and narrow they expect to keep their jobs saying the indiscretion was part of their private life.
    Like Mark Sanford and John Ensign?

  6. #36
    Sage
    jackalope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-08-14 @ 01:54 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,494

    Re: Tenn. State Senator Quits after Affair with Intern

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Ahh, I love when these issues come out, because I always get a good laugh.

    Remember folks, do what so many liberals are wanting you to do, have no standards, attempt to push no standards, have no morals, set the bar so low and then its perfectly okay, acceptable, and neigh commendable if you become a sleeze because hey....you may be a liar, a cheat, a thief, etc but look on the bright side, you're not a hypocrite. And that's what really matters.

    Ignore the fact that I'd love to hear from many of the liberals that have kids...

    Do you tell your kids not to do drugs? If so, have you ever or do you ever partake?

    Do you tell your kids not to drink when they're too young or in excess? If so, have you ever done so?

    Do you tell yours kids not to drive drunk? If so, have you or do you ever get i the car even after a drink and drive?

    Do you tell your kids not to lie? Do you never lie?

    Do you tell your kids not to break the law? Do you ever speed?

    It goes on and on.

    As I've said in another thread, so often when people complain about Republican Hypocracy its pure partisanship without any actual legitimate, logical, realistic, and honest attempt to discern the situation.

    Show me the republican platform that says all people are perfect, unable to make mistakes, and always live up to the ideals placed forth for them. Quote me where that's part of the campaign. What plank of the platform is that. I'd be anxious to hear it.

    You're not going to find it, because its not there. Part of having high ideals is the understanding that sometimes people fall short of those ideals. When people do fall short the goal is not to shrug it off, say no big deal, give them essentially rewards for falling short, and saying you just keep on doing what you're doing. Its about getting them to take responsability for what they did and strive to do better.

    As I've said in many of the other republican scandals. If he had came out and blamed this on some exterior thing or tried ot claim some great liberal conspiracy to get him, I'd be amazingly angry at this guy. If he had came out and lied about this repeatedly, and especially under oath, I'd be upset with him. If he did this and his constiuency called for him to step down and he refused, I'd have issue. If he had demanded a politician step down for a similar situation and he didn't, I'd be upset. As it stands, that doesn't seem to be the case. He wouldn't get my vote for re-election, but I don't see this man as a flaming hypocrite. He was weak of will, made some bad judgements, and has taken responsability for that it seems by stepping down....that's taking responsabilities for ones own actions.

    The man wouldn't have my vote again, but the outrage of this is either completely dishonest being launched immedietely for blind partisan reasons OR is people themselves likely being hypocrites by attempting to be so outraged that the man did something hypocritical when they themselves likely have done such hypocracy themselves.

    This is a big, fat, giant strawman post, unless of course you're really in favor of government dictating the positions that we teach our kids.

    All of those decisions and teachings are appropriate for a private family and private individual to judge and to make. None of them are appropriate for a public elected official to judge or legislate a private individual to do. Social conservatives are confused as to the proper place of moral teachings in the public square.

    And, yea, a public elected official is elected because of the positions he represents to the public. If he represents one thing, and does another, he or she is a big fat hypocrite and deserves to be run out of office.

  7. #37
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Tenn. State Senator Quits after Affair with Intern

    Quote Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
    This is a big, fat, giant strawman post, unless of course you're really in favor of government dictating the positions that we teach our kids.

    All of those decisions and teachings are appropriate for a private family and private individual to judge and to make. None of them are appropriate for a public elected official to judge or legislate a private individual to do. Social conservatives are confused as to the proper place of moral teachings in the public square.

    And, yea, a public elected official is elected because of the positions he represents to the public. If he represents one thing, and does another, he or she is a big fat hypocrite and deserves to be run out of office.
    Its not a strawman at all if the basis for peoples complaints about him is he's a hypocrite. Notice, that continually is the theme for all of these. Not that he cheated on his wife, but that he was a hypocrite. If that is the large, grevious offense then every parent that tells their children to live up to certain expectations but yet they themselves don't are just as much of a hypocrite as he is and should be condemning themselves just as much.

    If the issue is politicians shouldn't be dictating morals then that is something completely and utterly seperate from the issue of him being a hypocrite or him sleeping in his wife, and it shows this is nothing but a BS hyper partisan attempt to slam what people like you hate about the republican party without coming out and out saying it as such.

    So which is it...

    You're upset and disgusted with him because he's a hypocrite or you're upset and disgusted with him because he felt like government should push morality in some ways. If its the first part, then you should be equally as upset and outraged at all other hypocrites....if its the second part then you're just being a hyper partisan hack capitalizing on the misfoturne of others to try and camaflauge you're pathetic prattling.

  8. #38
    Educator sam_w's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    09-24-09 @ 04:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    724

    Re: Tenn. State Senator Quits after Affair with Intern

    Real sad when there is a number of people that need to get their moral guidance from elected officials? Pathetic. Do conservative ditto heads really need someone to tell them not to cheat on their wives? To not text message teenage boys? To not lie repeatedly why flying off on taxpayers dime to sleep with a mistress in Argentina?

    What does this say coming from the same ground that always preaches that government is evil, government can do no good, but yet they need government to teach them morality? I don't know, how about they just shut up and practice what they preach.

  9. #39
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Seen
    11-30-09 @ 04:11 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    446

    Re: Tenn. State Senator Quits after Affair with Intern

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Its not a strawman at all if the basis for peoples complaints about him is he's a hypocrite. Notice, that continually is the theme for all of these. Not that he cheated on his wife, but that he was a hypocrite. If that is the large, grevious offense then every parent that tells their children to live up to certain expectations but yet they themselves don't are just as much of a hypocrite as he is and should be condemning themselves just as much.

    If the issue is politicians shouldn't be dictating morals then that is something completely and utterly seperate from the issue of him being a hypocrite or him sleeping in his wife, and it shows this is nothing but a BS hyper partisan attempt to slam what people like you hate about the republican party without coming out and out saying it as such.

    So which is it...

    You're upset and disgusted with him because he's a hypocrite or you're upset and disgusted with him because he felt like government should push morality in some ways. If its the first part, then you should be equally as upset and outraged at all other hypocrites....if its the second part then you're just being a hyper partisan hack capitalizing on the misfoturne of others to try and camaflauge you're pathetic prattling.
    I was unaware that every other hypocrite in the country had elective power with huge sway over what laws do or do not get passed. Congressman shouldn't be held to the same standards everyday people are. They wanted power and they have to pay the price for said power. How can the ordinary trust and look up to an elected official who they know is a hypocrite? I might be a hypocrite at some points in my life, but I don't condemn others actions in the public sphere while partaking in them myself. I don't "talk the talk" just to gain popularity points. To compare the hypocrisy of this elected official to the hypocrisy of a parent who wants the best for their children is ludicrous and laughable at best.

  10. #40
    Sage
    jackalope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-08-14 @ 01:54 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,494

    Re: Tenn. State Senator Quits after Affair with Intern

    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke[MaxX] View Post
    I was unaware that every other hypocrite in the country had elective power with huge sway over what laws do or do not get passed. Congressman shouldn't be held to the same standards everyday people are. They wanted power and they have to pay the price for said power. How can the ordinary trust and look up to an elected official who they know is a hypocrite? I might be a hypocrite at some points in my life, but I don't condemn others actions in the public sphere while partaking in them myself. I don't "talk the talk" just to gain popularity points. To compare the hypocrisy of this elected official to the hypocrisy of a parent who wants the best for their children is ludicrous and laughable at best.

    Well said, that's what I was trying to express.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •