Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 44

Thread: Tenn. State Senator Quits after Affair with Intern

  1. #21
    Sage
    jackalope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-08-14 @ 01:54 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,494

    Re: Tenn. State Senator Quits after Affair with Intern

    Quote Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
    I submit that we both hold up standards. The only difference is yours has the word D-O-U-B-L-E splattered across it.

    Standards be damned - Dems, athiests, republicans, and christians aren't all that different when vice is involved, trust me.

    I agree with this.

  2. #22
    Traditional
    hiswoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Cypress, TX
    Last Seen
    04-04-13 @ 05:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,051
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Tenn. State Senator Quits after Affair with Intern

    Quote Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
    ...Dems, athiests, republicans, and christians aren't all that different when vice is involved, trust me.
    Bingo. No one has a monopoly on the straight and narrow, nor on the highway to hell, which is what makes this topic so incredibly lame

  3. #23
    Sage
    bhkad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    08-13-10 @ 01:01 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,745

    Re: Tenn. State Senator Quits after Affair with Intern

    Quote Originally Posted by sam_w View Post
    Umm maybe you are missing the point? Most Democrats are not going around preaching morality onto others the same way Republicans are. Larry Craig, here is a homophobe that is gay. Mark Sanford, called on Clinton to resign. Come on Mark, still waiting for YOUR resignation (you know what with the lying being the worst thing a politician can do).

    No Democrats are FAR far far F..A..R. from perfect. But then again I do not hear Democrats preaching a morality they themselves will not live up to. Sorry but the party of "Family Values" is nothing of the sort, but a party of hypocrisy, stupidity, and downright shameful deceit. I have been listening to their preachy B.S. now for 3+ decades, and it never fails to amaze me how so many are just hypocrites.

    Tell you what though, if the Republicans still want to preach morality, why not actually go find some people that will actually live up to these ideas? But when your side chooses to prop up S.O.B.s like Newt "I cheat on every wife" Gingrich you should damn well expect to be called out for it. So now who are the idiots, the Republicans who accept Newt teaching them about morality, or the Democrats laughing at this all?
    No, I'm not missing the point. I am saying that GOP'ers are BRAVE enough to say they wish to be held to a high standard.

    OBL 11/24/02

  4. #24
    Sage
    jackalope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-08-14 @ 01:54 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,494

    Re: Tenn. State Senator Quits after Affair with Intern

    Quote Originally Posted by bhkad View Post
    No, I'm not missing the point. I am saying that GOP'ers are BRAVE enough to say they wish to be held to a high standard.
    I don't find a bunch of liars to be brave. They should get the hell out of the rest of the country's moral judgements and try their hands at governing. So many of them seemed mixed up about what is Caesar's domain, and what is Jesus' domain.

  5. #25
    Sage
    bhkad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    08-13-10 @ 01:01 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,745

    Re: Tenn. State Senator Quits after Affair with Intern

    Quote Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
    I don't find a bunch of liars to be brave. They should get the hell out of the rest of the country's moral judgements and try their hands at governing. So many of them seemed mixed up about what is Caesar's domain, and what is Jesus' domain.
    You seem not to have examined the nature of human frailty.

    One holds up a standard, an ideal, that is difficult to measure up to then one struggles against temptation to live up to that ideal.

    That takes guts.

    The easier way is to never speak up for values so that when one falls short one can say they never promised they were perfect.

    OBL 11/24/02

  6. #26
    Sage
    jackalope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-08-14 @ 01:54 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,494

    Re: Tenn. State Senator Quits after Affair with Intern

    Quote Originally Posted by bhkad View Post
    You seem not to have examined the nature of human frailty.

    One holds up a standard, an ideal, that is difficult to measure up to then one struggles against temptation to live up to that ideal.

    That takes guts.

    The easier way is to never speak up for values so that when one falls short one can say they never promised they were perfect.

    No, I do understand human frailty, which is why I'm always surprised at the moralizing by some of the elected GOPers. They remind me of Pharisees. I think they should tend to their own morals, and leave the rest of us to wrestle with our own.

  7. #27
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: Tenn. State Senator Quits after Affair with Intern

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    State Senator? We are really reaching here.
    Reaching for what?

  8. #28
    Educator sam_w's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    09-24-09 @ 04:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    724

    Re: Tenn. State Senator Quits after Affair with Intern

    Quote Originally Posted by bhkad View Post
    You seem not to have examined the nature of human frailty.

    One holds up a standard, an ideal, that is difficult to measure up to then one struggles against temptation to live up to that ideal.

    That takes guts.

    The easier way is to never speak up for values so that when one falls short one can say they never promised they were perfect.
    I'll agree it takes guts to be a flaming hypocrite. You can try and thread this a million ways, but it will always come out the same way. Point here is that these douche bags are preaching WHILE they are being hypocrites. So is that your higher standard? Good god. If that is, I'll certainly take a pass on those morals. Sorry but when Mark Sanford goes around preaching *$&# like Clinton should have resigned, that a public official lying is the worst thing, then he goes and cheats and lies himself...that is YOUR standard to live by? Simply pathetic.

  9. #29
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Tenn. State Senator Quits after Affair with Intern

    Quote Originally Posted by sam_w View Post
    Umm maybe you are missing the point? Most Democrats are not going around preaching morality onto others the same way Republicans are. Larry Craig, here is a homophobe that is gay. Mark Sanford, called on Clinton to resign. Come on Mark, still waiting for YOUR resignation (you know what with the lying being the worst thing a politician can do).

    No Democrats are FAR far far F..A..R. from perfect. But then again I do not hear Democrats preaching a morality they themselves will not live up to. Sorry but the party of "Family Values" is nothing of the sort, but a party of hypocrisy, stupidity, and downright shameful deceit. I have been listening to their preachy B.S. now for 3+ decades, and it never fails to amaze me how so many are just hypocrites.

    Tell you what though, if the Republicans still want to preach morality, why not actually go find some people that will actually live up to these ideas? But when your side chooses to prop up S.O.B.s like Newt "I cheat on every wife" Gingrich you should damn well expect to be called out for it. So now who are the idiots, the Republicans who accept Newt teaching them about morality, or the Democrats laughing at this all?

    So, what you are basically saying is that its okay for Democrats to do this **** because they don't have any moral standards to begin with, so who cares right? Its only the Republicans we care about when it comes to their personal lives because they have standards that they try to live by, and view in a higher regard than those of the Democrats.

    So, I guess if I don't have any standards in life, and view being a sleazeball as a positive thing, then I can make it anywhere in politics right?

    Double Standards for sure.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  10. #30
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Tenn. State Senator Quits after Affair with Intern

    Quote Originally Posted by aps View Post
    Reaching for what?

    For something partisan to bicker about that we would go into a state senate (not the US Senate) to find "scandal" to then run around calling people hypocrites with.

    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •