Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 71

Thread: NPR - The Costs of Health Care, Political and Financial

  1. #1
    Professor
    formerroadie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 08:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,014

    NPR - The Costs of Health Care, Political and Financial

    Maggie Maher was on NPR today talking about money and the health care business. It is a great listen. I highly recommend it and await your comments:

    The Costs Of Health Care, Political And Financial : NPR

    Here's the blurb

    Century Foundation fellow Maggie Mahar is the author of Money-Driven Medicine: The Real Reason Healthcare Costs So Much, published in 2006.

    A former financial journalist for Institutional Investor, The New York Times, Barron's and Bloomberg, Mahar writes the Healthbeat blog, a Century Foundation project. She has also contributed to Dartmouth Medicine, covering Medicare spending and the possibility of reform.

    Money-Driven Medicine argues that, over the past century, the history of U.S. health care has been shaped by corporate interests' gradual encroachment on physician autonomy. According to Mahar, this has produced a system of costly and inefficient competition among providers, leaving Americans worse off than citizens of other industrialized nations.
    It's time for a revolution in our country. Not a revolution forged with guns and bombs but a revolution forged of compassion and altruism. A revolution that extends a hand to those who don't have and who cannot. A revolution that makes Health Care available to all those in the US.

  2. #2
    Guru
    Councilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Riverside, County, CA.
    Last Seen
    11-04-11 @ 10:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,454
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: NPR - The Costs of Health Care, Political and Financial

    These conclusions do not match the fact that people from all over the world come here for treatment.
    Are the changes needed? Yes but draconian measures being rushed through and forced on the Nation using fear tactics and lies is not a logical way to approach any solution to any problem ever.
    A great number of the problems involving costs come from frivolous litigation driving the need for more testing, and extremely high malpractice insurance premiums. A lot of this could be cured by limiting the amount of judgments and by a reduction in premiums with caps. Most of this will never happen because there are too many lawyers in office to allow the truly needed reforms.

    Lastly NEVER EVER BELIEVE what you hear on or read from the National Propaganda Radio (NPR) people or those they use to promote their extremely Leftist Liberal agenda. You can watch programs that are strictly for entertainment but that's all.

  3. #3
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: NPR - The Costs of Health Care, Political and Financial

    A quick google resulted in:

    [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Liberal_think_tanks]Category:Liberal think tanks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

    Mission

    The Century Foundations describes its mission as explaining and analyzing public issues in plain language, providing facts and opinions about the strengths and weaknesses of different policy strategies, and developing and calling attention to distinctive ideas that have been demonstrated to work as policy solutions to the nation’s problems.
    The Foundation covers many areas of public policy, but recently it has focused particularly on four basic challenges:
    persistent economic inequality combined with the shift to American households of financial risks previously borne by employers and government
    the aging of the population
    preventing and responding to terrorism while preserving civil liberties
    restoring America’s international credibility as an effective and cooperative leader in responding to global security and economic dangers
    The Century Foundation produces work on issues such as Social Security and pensions, health care, education, tax and budget policy, homeland security, immigration, election reform, international terrorism, the U.S. relationship with the United Nations and other multilateral institutions, and policies toward regions such as the Middle East and East Asia. [7]
    [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Century_Foundation]The Century Foundation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]


    Basically a think tank dedicated to finding ways to better enable government to "help" people.

    Thanks for the interesting read, but after reading your link and doing a little checking around, I really cannot find myself to agree with this woman, her conclusion, or the aims of her group. Any organization that promotes Government taking over our lives is one I haven't much time or use to listen too.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  4. #4
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Re: NPR - The Costs of Health Care, Political and Financial

    Quote Originally Posted by Councilman View Post
    These conclusions do not match the fact that people from all over the world come here for treatment.
    .
    And people come from all over the world for treatment in France, Germany, Spain, the UK, and many other countries with a UHC/Private hospital hybrid system. It is another flawed argument to stick with a very flawed and expensive healthcare system.
    PeteEU

  5. #5
    Guru
    Councilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Riverside, County, CA.
    Last Seen
    11-04-11 @ 10:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,454
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: NPR - The Costs of Health Care, Political and Financial

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    And people come from all over the world for treatment in France, Germany, Spain, the UK, and many other countries with a UHC/Private hospital hybrid system. It is another flawed argument to stick with a very flawed and expensive healthcare system.
    The flaw is in your attempt to to respond to something that was not said. It's a well worn tactic of Liberals and others. It is called the straw man tactic. You quote only a part of what I said then respond to something I never came close to saying. If your want to pretend to be intelligent at least respond to what was actually said.

    I said.
    Are the changes needed? Yes but draconian measures being rushed through and forced on the Nation using fear tactics and lies is not a logical way to approach any solution to any problem ever.
    A great number of the problems involving costs come from frivolous litigation driving the need for more testing, and extremely high malpractice insurance premiums. A lot of this could be cured by limiting the amount of judgments and by a reduction in premiums with caps. Most of this will never happen because there are too many lawyers in office to allow the truly needed reforms.

  6. #6
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,036

    Re: NPR - The Costs of Health Care, Political and Financial

    I know three doctors personally, two in their id-50s and one that mid-40s, that have stated their intent to retire/change professions if this goes through as is.

    All three seem to believe it will ultimately be a watered-down bill that won't have much effect except to endear Democrats to illegal immigrants, and that it will be the first step to toward voting rights to those same illegals.

  7. #7
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,319

    Re: NPR - The Costs of Health Care, Political and Financial

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    And people come from all over the world for treatment in France, Germany, Spain, the UK, and many other countries with a UHC/Private hospital hybrid system. It is another flawed argument to stick with a very flawed and expensive healthcare system.
    How many American retreat to those countries because they can't get medical treatment in the US? I'll tell you how many, zero.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #8
    Educator sam_w's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    09-24-09 @ 04:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    724

    Re: NPR - The Costs of Health Care, Political and Financial

    Judging by the comments here; I think only the OP bothered to even listen to this. It was quite interesting, thanks for the post.

  9. #9
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: NPR - The Costs of Health Care, Political and Financial

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    And people come from all over the world for treatment in France, Germany, Spain, the UK, and many other countries with a UHC/Private hospital hybrid system. It is another flawed argument to stick with a very flawed and expensive healthcare system.
    The "flaw" here is the assumption that it is right and proper for the people of a country to be held respobonsible for providing health care to the people of their country.

    You want to argue that health care is a right? Fine.

    What you and everyone like you fails to address is the fact that having a right does not mean you get to have the means to exercise that right provided to you by others.

  10. #10
    Professor
    formerroadie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 08:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,014

    Re: NPR - The Costs of Health Care, Political and Financial

    Quote Originally Posted by Councilman View Post
    These conclusions do not match the fact that people from all over the world come here for treatment.
    Are the changes needed? Yes but draconian measures being rushed through and forced on the Nation using fear tactics and lies is not a logical way to approach any solution to any problem ever.
    A great number of the problems involving costs come from frivolous litigation driving the need for more testing, and extremely high malpractice insurance premiums. A lot of this could be cured by limiting the amount of judgments and by a reduction in premiums with caps. Most of this will never happen because there are too many lawyers in office to allow the truly needed reforms.

    Lastly NEVER EVER BELIEVE what you hear on or read from the National Propaganda Radio (NPR) people or those they use to promote their extremely Leftist Liberal agenda. You can watch programs that are strictly for entertainment but that's all.
    That "come from all over the world" excuse is weak and stupid. Sorry, but give me a break.
    It's time for a revolution in our country. Not a revolution forged with guns and bombs but a revolution forged of compassion and altruism. A revolution that extends a hand to those who don't have and who cannot. A revolution that makes Health Care available to all those in the US.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •