Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 71

Thread: NPR - The Costs of Health Care, Political and Financial

  1. #11
    Professor
    formerroadie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 08:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,014

    Re: NPR - The Costs of Health Care, Political and Financial

    Quote Originally Posted by sam_w View Post
    Judging by the comments here; I think only the OP bothered to even listen to this. It was quite interesting, thanks for the post.
    Your welcome. I found her arguments quite cogent and her research in depth. The right wingers tend to bring out their favorite lines when confronted with facts (i.e. other people come here for care, etc etc).
    It's time for a revolution in our country. Not a revolution forged with guns and bombs but a revolution forged of compassion and altruism. A revolution that extends a hand to those who don't have and who cannot. A revolution that makes Health Care available to all those in the US.

  2. #12
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,263

    Re: NPR - The Costs of Health Care, Political and Financial

    Some statistics state that the last year of life consumes 80% of a persons aggregate medical costs. With this in mind, how are we as a nation going to reduce this obscene price tag?

    Secondly, how does the presidents plan address the issue?
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  3. #13
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: NPR - The Costs of Health Care, Political and Financial

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    Some statistics state that the last year of life consumes 80% of a persons aggregate medical costs. With this in mind, how are we as a nation going to reduce this obscene price tag?
    Logan's Run.

    Secondly, how does the presidents plan address the issue?
    Obviously not.

  4. #14
    Educator sam_w's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    09-24-09 @ 04:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    724

    Re: NPR - The Costs of Health Care, Political and Financial

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Logan's Run.


    Obviously not.
    I was thinking more of a Soylent Green proposition, you know we can feed the starving to boot hmmmm...Soylent Green

  5. #15
    Guru
    Councilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Riverside, County, CA.
    Last Seen
    11-04-11 @ 10:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,454
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: NPR - The Costs of Health Care, Political and Financial

    Quote Originally Posted by formerroadie View Post
    That "come from all over the world" excuse is weak and stupid. Sorry, but give me a break.
    What is wrong with you Granola Liberals can you not read. You pick one item to attack but even there you're wrong we hear news stories all the time of patients coming here for treatment and people in the UK and Canada have to wait months for simple treatment. Canadians come here in droves for treatment because of the rationing of care there.
    The other thing you over looked because you're part of the I hate America Obama disciples is that I clearly said the system needs to be fixed.

  6. #16
    Professor

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Last Seen
    07-11-10 @ 06:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    1,720

    Re: NPR - The Costs of Health Care, Political and Financial

    Quote Originally Posted by Councilman View Post
    These conclusions do not match the fact that people from all over the world come here for treatment.
    Are the changes needed? Yes but draconian measures being rushed through and forced on the Nation using fear tactics and lies is not a logical way to approach any solution to any problem ever.
    A great number of the problems involving costs come from frivolous litigation driving the need for more testing, and extremely high malpractice insurance premiums. A lot of this could be cured by limiting the amount of judgments and by a reduction in premiums with caps. Most of this will never happen because there are too many lawyers in office to allow the truly needed reforms.

    Lastly NEVER EVER BELIEVE what you hear on or read from the National Propaganda Radio (NPR) people or those they use to promote their extremely Leftist Liberal agenda. You can watch programs that are strictly for entertainment but that's all.

    yea people from all over the world go to India as well for treatment....

  7. #17
    Educator sam_w's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    09-24-09 @ 04:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    724

    Re: NPR - The Costs of Health Care, Political and Financial

    Quote Originally Posted by Councilman View Post
    What is wrong with you Granola Liberals can you not read. You pick one item to attack but even there you're wrong we hear news stories all the time of patients coming here for treatment and people in the UK and Canada have to wait months for simple treatment. Canadians come here in droves for treatment because of the rationing of care there.
    The other thing you over looked because you're part of the I hate America Obama disciples is that I clearly said the system needs to be fixed.
    My question for you is why do you feel the need to be so dishonest? What does this say about your whole argument when you need to lie so much? Should I then consider your whole point to be completely invalid if you continue to lie so shamelessly? Or is it that you are completely ignorant of the whole debate? I don't know which one, nor do I really care. But allow me one demostration that will shine a light on just how disingenuous your whole argument is:

    You prop up the UK and Canada as if this can be compared. You either shamelessly know they can not, or are clueless to the significant differences. Never mind that Canadian and UK representatives have already refuted such claims. That is meaningless, since their system is NATIONALIZED. But I suppose that does not matter does it? You just leave that out, that the system here and their systems are completely different.

    But of course, you want to carry on with that theme that government can do nothing good. Funny, anyone catch Bill Kristol last night on the Daily Show:

    STEWART: Get this on the record. Bill Kristol said that the government can run a "first class health care system." And a government-run health care system is better than the private health care system.
    KRISTOL: I don't know if it's better.
    STEWART: You just said that.
    KRISTOL: I don't know if it's better.
    STEWART: You said it was better! You said it's the best. It's a little more expensive...
    KRISTOL: The military needs different kinds of health care...
    STEWART: I just want to get this down: "The government runs the best health care."

    So, where are the mass of conservatives rushing out to stop this abomination of socialism we call the VA? Tick tock tick tock..still waiting.

  8. #18
    Professor

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Last Seen
    07-11-10 @ 06:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    1,720

    Re: NPR - The Costs of Health Care, Political and Financial

    Quote Originally Posted by Councilman View Post
    What is wrong with you Granola Liberals can you not read. You pick one item to attack but even there you're wrong we hear news stories all the time of patients coming here for treatment and people in the UK and Canada have to wait months for simple treatment. Canadians come here in droves for treatment because of the rationing of care there.
    The other thing you over looked because you're part of the I hate America Obama disciples is that I clearly said the system needs to be fixed.
    Just because Canadian and UK systems have flaws does not mean the American system does not need fixing.

    The basic problem with healthcare is that as a society people want to collectively increase social healthcare, but the institutions of the industry are hindering it. Some of these institutions include faulty government policies. Others include lobbies (AMA for example). Others are simply the misaligned incentives produced by a private market.

    I think proper government intervention should be coordinating the standardization of electronic medical records, and setting standards for technologies and care that lower costs without lowering quality.

    I wonder what people think about breaking some of the restrictions imposed by the AMA. Ease of entry into an industry is crucial for efficient markets, but the AMA lobbies create artificial barriers to entry.

  9. #19
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: NPR - The Costs of Health Care, Political and Financial

    Quote Originally Posted by nkgupta80 View Post
    Just because Canadian and UK systems have flaws does not mean the American system does not need fixing.

    The basic problem with healthcare is that as a society people want to collectively increase social healthcare, but the institutions of the industry are hindering it.
    The basic problem with health care is that we have a third-party payer system, where the consumer is insulated from the cost of the goods and services he receives, and so doesn't care about how much things cost.

  10. #20
    Guru
    Councilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Riverside, County, CA.
    Last Seen
    11-04-11 @ 10:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,454
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: NPR - The Costs of Health Care, Political and Financial

    Quote Originally Posted by sam_w View Post
    My question for you is why do you feel the need to be so dishonest? What does this say about your whole argument when you need to lie so much? Should I then consider your whole point to be completely invalid if you continue to lie so shamelessly? Or is it that you are completely ignorant of the whole debate? I don't know which one, nor do I really care. But allow me one demostration that will shine a light on just how disingenuous your whole argument is:

    You prop up the UK and Canada as if this can be compared. You either shamelessly know they can not, or are clueless to the significant differences. Never mind that Canadian and UK representatives have already refuted such claims. That is meaningless, since their system is NATIONALIZED. But I suppose that does not matter does it? You just leave that out, that the system here and their systems are completely different.

    But of course, you want to carry on with that theme that government can do nothing good. Funny, anyone catch Bill Kristol last night on the Daily Show:

    STEWART: Get this on the record. Bill Kristol said that the government can run a "first class health care system." And a government-run health care system is better than the private health care system.
    KRISTOL: I don't know if it's better.
    STEWART: You just said that.
    KRISTOL: I don't know if it's better.
    STEWART: You said it was better! You said it's the best. It's a little more expensive...
    KRISTOL: The military needs different kinds of health care...
    STEWART: I just want to get this down: "The government runs the best health care."

    So, where are the mass of conservatives rushing out to stop this abomination of socialism we call the VA? Tick tock tick tock..still waiting.
    Continue the Obfuscation tactics and name calling and it changes nothing.
    Yes I held up the UK and Canada as examples. BAD EXAMPLES are you the typical Granola Liberal that has serious reading comprehension issues because of the poor education system also controlled by Liberals bend on the dumbing down of America.
    One again the Granola Liberals ignore that basic argument of my initial post and do their best to make it a personal attack because they lack the intelligence or knowledge to counter a cogent logical suggestion to fix the system I said needed change.
    The only thing you got right was people go to India for care, you left out China,and Mexico. None of which are great places compared to our Hospitals and private care.
    The next time you throw out your BAIT eat it yourself.
    What do the I hate America bunch care about Veterans it was liberals the spit on them coming back from Vietnam, Stop trying to change the subject.
    Councilman out!
    Last edited by Councilman; 07-28-09 at 03:27 PM.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •