Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Taliban issues code of conduct

  1. #1
    Educator sam_w's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    09-24-09 @ 04:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    724

    Taliban issues code of conduct

    Taliban issues code of conduct
    The Taliban in Afghanistan has issued a book laying down a code of conduct for its fighters.

    Al Jazeera has obtained a copy of the book, which further indicates that Mullah Omar, the movement's leader, wants to centralise its operations.

    The book, with 13 chapters and 67 articles, lays out what one of the most secretive organisations in the world today, can and cannot do.

    It talks of limiting suicide attacks, avoiding civilian casualties and winning the battle for the hearts and minds of the local civilian population.
    The utmost effort should be made to avoid civilian casualties," the book says.

    There are now clear guidelines on how the Taliban will treat its prisoners as well.

    "Whenever any official, soldier, contractor or worker of the slave government is captured, these prisoners cannot be attacked or harmed," it says.

    "The decision on whether to seek a prisoner exchange or to release the prisoner with strong guarantees will be made by the provincial leader.

    "Releasing prisoners in exchange for money is strictly prohibited."

    The book further states that if a "military infidel" is captured, the decision on whether to kill, release or exchange the hostage is only to be made by the Imam, a reference to Mullah Omar, or deputy Imam.
    The release of the rule book comes less than a month before Afghans head to the polls for a presidential election, which the Taliban has deemed an illegitimate system imposed by foreigners.

    The timing may be just a coincidence, however, as rival presidential candidates detail their manifestos and the Taliban makes an effort to win over the Afghan public.
    This could be on the one hand a propaganda ploy, after properly assessing their support and popularity levels throughout the Afghanistan. On the other hand, I do have a wild proposition. The centralization could be an attempt to reign in local factions that are only loosely Taliban allied. Even further, centralized control would, or could, be used as a bargaining strength in further negotiations with the central government in Kabul, and NATO. I question the resolve of the Taliban at this time. While Bin Laden and co. may see their struggle in terms of decades, the Taliban have certainly never seen it as some great millennial struggle.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Taliban issues code of conduct

    Quote Originally Posted by sam_w View Post
    This could be on the one hand a propaganda ploy, after properly assessing their support and popularity levels throughout the Afghanistan. On the other hand, I do have a wild proposition. The centralization could be an attempt to reign in local factions that are only loosely Taliban allied. Even further, centralized control would, or could, be used as a bargaining strength in further negotiations with the central government in Kabul, and NATO. I question the resolve of the Taliban at this time. While Bin Laden and co. may see their struggle in terms of decades, the Taliban have certainly never seen it as some great millennial struggle.
    I think they are trying to legitimize themselves to the world by this propaganda. By adding a code of conduct (which they most certainly will not follow), they appear to be civilized and legitimate to would-be supporters.

  3. #3
    Educator sam_w's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    09-24-09 @ 04:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    724

    Re: Taliban issues code of conduct

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    I think they are trying to legitimize themselves to the world by this propaganda. By adding a code of conduct (which they most certainly will not follow), they appear to be civilized and legitimate to would-be supporters.
    In this case, do you think then the Taliban might be acknowledging (to themselves) that they do not have a winning strategy? It does seem odd doesn't it the timing that this would come 8 years after, while they are under the midst of the largest NATO offensive.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Taliban issues code of conduct

    Quote Originally Posted by sam_w View Post
    In this case, do you think then the Taliban might be acknowledging (to themselves) that they do not have a winning strategy? It does seem odd doesn't it the timing that this would come 8 years after, while they are under the midst of the largest NATO offensive.
    Actually I think they are just changing their strategy. That doesn't mean they don't think they can win, this just means they don't think they can win with the strategy they had been using.

    IMO, this is a far better strategy for them to use because it is aimed at getting them support through legitimacy. The unfortunate part, is it may work for some of the people they are trying to gain support from.

  5. #5
    Norville Rogers
    Kernel Sanders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 10:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,730

    Re: Taliban issues code of conduct

    I wonder if this is PR or if they mean any of what they say. I also wonder if the Taliban is centralized enough that any of the actual ground troops give two ****s about a code of conduct coming from the top

  6. #6
    Guru
    tlmorg02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Louisville, Ky
    Last Seen
    07-23-15 @ 11:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,347

    Re: Taliban issues code of conduct

    This propoganda/change of strategy, is targeted at two audiences, the Afghan people and the U.S. Unlike Al Qaeda, the Taliban have enjoyed good relations with the United States and have even visited former Governor George W. Bush. This is an attempt to regain the Afghan public trust and support, and to try to legitimize their existence to the U.S. so as not to be considered a terrorist organization. Remember, terrorist organizations are not to be negotiated with in anyway, if the Taliban is considered an actual military enemy, then they are protected by Geneva Convention and may in the future taken off the terror group list.

    Ultimately, I do not think this ploy will work. It is desparate measures for a group that has been crushed and pursued in Pakistan, and is now being strongly crushed in Afghanistan with the increase of U.S. military presence.

  7. #7
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,196

    Re: Taliban issues code of conduct

    Taliban is a beacon of morality for the entire of Mankind.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

  8. #8
    Advisor Birdzeye's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    East Coast - mid Atlantic
    Last Seen
    12-10-16 @ 09:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    341

    Re: Taliban issues code of conduct

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Taliban is a beacon of morality for the entire of Mankind.
    I trust you said that with tongue in cheek. These are the people who gave safe haven to the terrorists who attacked us, and when in power, had draconian rules that made life totally miserable for women.

  9. #9
    Professor
    WillRockwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    07-10-10 @ 09:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,950

    Re: Taliban issues code of conduct

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Taliban is a beacon of morality for the entire of Mankind.
    Yes but fortunately most of their fighters are illiterate, so the rules need not be followed.

  10. #10
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,196

    Re: Taliban issues code of conduct

    Quote Originally Posted by Birdzeye View Post
    I trust you said that with tongue in cheek. These are the people who gave safe haven to the terrorists who attacked us, and when in power, had draconian rules that made life totally miserable for women.
    Sarcasm, my dear friend.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •