Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 77

Thread: Iraq Plans to Send 10,000 Students to Colleges in U.S., Abroad

  1. #11
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Iraq Plans to Send 10,000 Students to Colleges in U.S., Abroad

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    In 20-odd years, we'll be hearing about how some international terrorist holds two degrees from an American university. There's something to look forward to.
    Actually, educational opportunity has a negative correlation with terrorist activity.

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Yeah, they can get educated at American schools, become Liberals and have a brand new reason to hate America.


    Whose paying for this, or do I have to ask??
    I bet you're not.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  2. #12
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,317

    Re: Iraq Plans to Send 10,000 Students to Colleges in U.S., Abroad

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    This sounds like a phenomenal plan. As long as our government can work with the Iraqi government to insure the wrong people don't end up in this program it will be a great benefit to all nations involved. This is excellent diplomacy.
    Yeah, great diplomatic idea. Half the world terrorists were educated in western schools. Might as well go ahead and educate the other half.

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    I bet you're not.
    Bet I'm not, what? Paying the bill? We might both be surprised about that one. You, more than me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Iraq Plans to Send 10,000 Students to Colleges in U.S., Abroad

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Yeah, great diplomatic idea. Half the world terrorists were educated in western schools. Might as well go ahead and educate the other half.
    How does selectively educating 10,000 Iraqis in the West translate into educating half the world's terrorists?

    If I were in charge of such a plan I would select a disproportionate amount of women to educate - 60/40 sounds about right.

  4. #14
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,317

    Re: Iraq Plans to Send 10,000 Students to Colleges in U.S., Abroad

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    If I were in charge of such a plan I would select a disproportionate amount of women to educate - 60/40 sounds about right.

    Why? So you can waste time educating them, so they can go back home to be treated like slaves by their hubbies?

    Most of them would apply for US citizenship, because they know that education would be useless when they got back to Iraq.
    Last edited by apdst; 07-25-09 at 07:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #15
    Sage
    Oftencold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    A small village in Alaska
    Last Seen
    05-09-14 @ 12:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    5,044

    Re: Iraq Plans to Send 10,000 Students to Colleges in U.S., Abroad

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    In 20-odd years, we'll be hearing about how some international terrorist holds two degrees from an American university. There's something to look forward to.
    Maybe.

    Then again, we may all be trying to buy Iraqi sports cars too.

    Exposure to the outside world may promote Terrorism. Insulation from the outside world certainly will.
    Quod scripsi, scripsi

  6. #16
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Iraq Plans to Send 10,000 Students to Colleges in U.S., Abroad

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Yeah, great diplomatic idea. Half the world terrorists were educated in western schools. Might as well go ahead and educate the other half.
    I would ask for a link, but I know you're just making it up so I won't bother.

    Bet I'm not, what? Paying the bill? We might both be surprised about that one. You, more than me.
    Doubtful.

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Why? So you can waste time educating them, so they can go back home to be treated like slaves by their hubbies?

    Most of them would apply for US citizenship, because they know that education would be useless when they got back to Iraq.
    Can you imagine how horrible that would be? Ten thousand of the smartest people from Iraq getting great educations and then seeking to become American citizens. God, it just makes me sick even thinking about it.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Iraq Plans to Send 10,000 Students to Colleges in U.S., Abroad

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Why? So you can waste time educating them, so they can go back home to be treated like slaves by their hubbies?
    Not all Iraqi women are married. In fact, the most qualified women for such a program would most likely be single women. You seem to think we couldn't help determine the composition of the student body - we can and should. A bunch of liberal women is just what that religiously backwards-ass country needs.

    We could educate the next generation of Iraqi leaders and intellectuals. Do you have something against spreading Western liberalism to the Middle East?

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    01-05-10 @ 06:26 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,629

    Re: Iraq Plans to Send 10,000 Students to Colleges in U.S., Abroad

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Why? So you can waste time educating them, so they can go back home to be treated like slaves by their hubbies?
    Come on apdst coming from you is a tad below the belt. I take it you have never been to Iraq huh. I have and I can tell you even under Saddam most of the Women I interacted with were very Independent.

    I was hoping that this thread wouldn't fall into a Partisian BS session thanks for sending this down the sewer very fast.

  9. #19
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,317

    Re: Iraq Plans to Send 10,000 Students to Colleges in U.S., Abroad

    Quote Originally Posted by Oftencold View Post
    Maybe.

    Then again, we may all be trying to buy Iraqi sports cars too.

    Exposure to the outside world may promote Terrorism. Insulation from the outside world certainly will.
    Yamamoto went to UCLA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #20
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,317

    Re: Iraq Plans to Send 10,000 Students to Colleges in U.S., Abroad

    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion89 View Post
    Come on apdst coming from you is a tad below the belt. I take it you have never been to Iraq huh. I have and I can tell you even under Saddam most of the Women I interacted with were very Independent.

    I was hoping that this thread wouldn't fall into a Partisian BS session thanks for sending this down the sewer very fast.
    You expect me to believe that women are treated like gold in Iraq?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •