Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 110

Thread: Black officer at scholar's home supports arrest

  1. #21
    Guru
    tlmorg02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Louisville, Ky
    Last Seen
    07-23-15 @ 11:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,347

    Re: Black officer at scholar's home supports arrest

    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    I watch cops alot and see many times cops taking down disorderly behavior in people's house all the time. They have to deal with people, on their own property or not, who may or may not at any given time pull a weapon on them. They have the authority to do what they have to do to not get to that situation. Gates was in the police report as starting to get aggressive so they nipped it in the butt and took him into custody- seems pretty standard procedure to me. It wouldn't have happened if he cooperated, simple as that.
    I disagree. If Gates was becoming physical or threatening in nature then that is one thing. But yelling that the cop is a racist and saying he was going to have his job is hardly a reason to arrest someone. Bottom line, and this is from friends of mine who are cops, the guy was yelling at the cop in front of other cops and he took him in because he was not going to be embarassed like that. Plain and simple.

  2. #22
    Guru
    tlmorg02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Louisville, Ky
    Last Seen
    07-23-15 @ 11:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,347

    Re: Black officer at scholar's home supports arrest

    Quote Originally Posted by aps View Post
    People seem to think that just because you're on or around your own property, you seem to be able to do whatever the hell you want. Hello?
    Did he infringe on the rights of others? No, so as long as that is not breached, he sure as hell can do whatever he wants on his own property. This is America, not China or the Soviet Union.

  3. #23
    Guru
    tlmorg02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Louisville, Ky
    Last Seen
    07-23-15 @ 11:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,347

    Re: Black officer at scholar's home supports arrest

    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    lol, it seems every black man they find to interview on the news shows agrees it was not a racist thing. For once people, president discluded, are seeing the truth and facts in the case.

    My husband almost got arrested when he argued with a cop after we called them to our house. He wanted them to do more than they were doing and they didn't want to hear it and told him to calm down or be arrested. So he calmed down and they didn't arrest him. I'm sure it was due to the fact he's Mexican though.
    No, it was due to the fact that the yelled at the police, which is not against the law.

  4. #24
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Black officer at scholar's home supports arrest

    Quote Originally Posted by tlmorg02 View Post
    Did he infringe on the rights of others? No, so as long as that is not breached, he sure as hell can do whatever he wants on his own property. This is America, not China or the Soviet Union.
    There's not a place in the US where a person can stand outside, even on their own property, and yell at people and call them racist.

  5. #25
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: Black officer at scholar's home supports arrest

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    I actually have read the police report and, while being unreasonable, Gates nowhere broke the law. It's not illegal to yell at someone from your porch.
    Oh, and you're the authority on this? Okay.

  6. #26
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: Black officer at scholar's home supports arrest

    Quote Originally Posted by tlmorg02 View Post
    Did he infringe on the rights of others? No, so as long as that is not breached, he sure as hell can do whatever he wants on his own property. This is America, not China or the Soviet Union.
    So those are the only circumstances that someone can be arrested on their own property? Sorry, that is a legally incorrect statement, IMHO.

  7. #27
    Guru
    tlmorg02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Louisville, Ky
    Last Seen
    07-23-15 @ 11:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,347

    Re: Black officer at scholar's home supports arrest

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    There's not a place in the US where a person can stand outside, even on their own property, and yell at people and call them racist.
    The KKK and opponents regularly assemble in front of courthouses and do just that.

  8. #28
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,898

    Re: Black officer at scholar's home supports arrest

    Oh, and you're the authority on this? Okay.
    So what law did he break? Why were the charges dropped?
    "I do not claim that every incident in the history of empire can be explained in directly economic terms. Economic interests are filtered through a political process, policies are implemented by a complex state apparatus, and the whole system generates its own momentum."

  9. #29
    Guru
    tlmorg02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Louisville, Ky
    Last Seen
    07-23-15 @ 11:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,347

    Re: Black officer at scholar's home supports arrest

    Quote Originally Posted by aps View Post
    So those are the only circumstances that someone can be arrested on their own property? Sorry, that is a legally incorrect statement, IMHO.
    Where is the law stating otherwise?

  10. #30
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Black officer at scholar's home supports arrest

    Quote Originally Posted by tlmorg02 View Post
    The KKK and opponents regularly assemble in front of courthouses and do just that.
    And when they do it too much they regularly get arrested as well. Gates ran his mouth too much, and earned himself the nickel bracelets.

    Maybe next time he'll remember that all-important right of the citizen--the right to remain silent.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •