Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 161

Thread: 'Missing' Man Sought by Gay Pal Is Willingly Undergoing Counseling, Family Says

  1. #111
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,461

    Re: 'Missing' Man Sought by Gay Pal Is Willingly Undergoing Counseling, Family Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
    Sternly? No. Irrationally? Most definitely.

    Your previous posts indicated you'd 'raise hell' or act irrationally. You do that, they'd call the law. If you can act rationally - as i've said all along - then someone will probably listen to what you have to say. If you can't, you'll do your complaining behind bars.

    In any case, i'll assume your previous posts were overblown and your choice of vernacular was badly chosen, if your last post was what you really meant to say.
    Well, you know as well as I do that, "raise hell", has a very broad meaning, unless, of course, you're narrowing the term's meaning to suit your argument.

    So, how many kids do you have?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #112
    Hung like Einstein
    Singularity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 05:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,058

    Re: 'Missing' Man Sought by Gay Pal Is Willingly Undergoing Counseling, Family Says

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Well, you know as well as I do that, "raise hell", has a very broad meaning, unless, of course, you're narrowing the term's meaning to suit your argument.
    No, your 'broad meaning' was narrowed down when you wrote this little gem: "I have the right to act just as irrationally as I want when addressing my kids' educational concerns." (post #101)

    Now, in the privacy of your own home, I don't care how irrational your behavior gets. But you take it to a public school facility - which is what your posts implied - then I do care. So does everyone else with children at that school.

    As I said, that'll land you behind bars.
    Last edited by Singularity; 07-27-09 at 10:14 PM.

  3. #113
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,461

    Re: 'Missing' Man Sought by Gay Pal Is Willingly Undergoing Counseling, Family Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
    Except that your broad meaning was narrowed down when you wrote this little gem: "I have the right to act just as irrationally as I want when addressing my kids' educational concerns."

    Now, in the privacy of your own home, I don't care how irrational your behavior gets. But you take it to a public school facility - which is what your posts implied - then I do care. So does everyone else with children at that school.

    As I said, that'll land you behind bars.
    How many kids do you have?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #114
    Hung like Einstein
    Singularity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 05:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,058

    Re: 'Missing' Man Sought by Gay Pal Is Willingly Undergoing Counseling, Family Says

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    How many kids do you have?
    Currently, two. At one point I had 10 (can you believe it?!?), but I gave eight of them to my neighbor because he has more property than me. His fence is also in better shape, so they won't escape. A few years ago I had my first kid get out of the fence, and the little fella almost got hit by a car. Scared me so bad I considered putting him on a leash, but I just kept him out in the barn with the doors closed at night. It got awfully dark out there, but he was always okay the next day when i'd check up on him.

    Nine more kids followed. I kept the youngest two and gave the others away. My neighbor took them off my hands for free because he always wanted kids. He plans on milking them, whatever that means. Hopefully he'll wait until they're older before he does something like that, but hey, who am I to judge? They're his kids now, after all. As long as he treats 'em good, he can do what he wants.
    Last edited by Singularity; 07-27-09 at 10:07 PM.

  5. #115
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,461

    Re: 'Missing' Man Sought by Gay Pal Is Willingly Undergoing Counseling, Family Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
    Currently, two. At one point I had 10 (can you believe it?!?), but I gave eight of them to my neighbor because he has more property than me. His fence is also in better shape, so they won't escape. A few years ago I had my first kid get out of the fence, and the little fella almost got hit by a car. Scared me so bad I considered putting him on a leash, but I just kept him out in the barn with the doors closed at night. It got awfully dark out there, but he was always okay the next day when i'd check up on him.

    Nine more kids followed. I kept the youngest two and gave the others away. My neighbor took them off my hands for free because he always wanted kids. He plans on milking them, whatever that means. Hopefully he'll wait until they're older before he does something like that, but hey, who am I to judge? They're his kids now, after all. As long as he treats 'em good, he can do what he wants.

    Ok, so you don't have any children? Go have a child and I promise, your perspective about what's irrational and what isn't will change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  6. #116
    Hung like Einstein
    Singularity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 05:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,058

    Re: 'Missing' Man Sought by Gay Pal Is Willingly Undergoing Counseling, Family Says

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Ok, so you don't have any children? Go have a child and I promise, your perspective about what's irrational and what isn't will change.
    Not hardly. My perspective on what constitutes rational and irrational behavior is based on the textbook definitions of rational and irrational, which every other rational individual familiar with the terms understands them to mean. Definitions of words do not miraculously change when you have children; irrational is still gonna mean irrational regardless of how many pups you squeeze out.

  7. #117
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,461

    Re: 'Missing' Man Sought by Gay Pal Is Willingly Undergoing Counseling, Family Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
    Not hardly. My perspective on what constitutes rational and irrational behavior is based on the textbook definitions of rational and irrational, which every other rational individual familiar with the terms understands them to mean. Definitions of words do not miraculously change when you have children; irrational is still gonna mean irrational regardless of how many pups you squeeze out.
    Have a kid and then we can talk about it. Until then, you're talking without the full knowledge of the appropriate perspective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #118
    Hung like Einstein
    Singularity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 05:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,058

    Re: 'Missing' Man Sought by Gay Pal Is Willingly Undergoing Counseling, Family Says

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Have a kid and then we can talk about it. Until then, you're talking without the full knowledge of the appropriate perspective.
    Nice try. Definitions of words do not change based on perspective. But let's put this to the test and take the very word that seems to be giving you the most trouble in this thread - irrational.

    The definition of irrational (irrational definition | Dictionary.com)

    1. without the faculty of reason; deprived of reason.
    2. without or deprived of normal mental clarity or sound judgment.
    3. not in accordance with reason; utterly illogical: irrational arguments.
    4. not endowed with the faculty of reason: irrational animals.
    5. Mathematics. a. (of a number) not capable of being expressed exactly as a ratio of two integers.
    b. (of a function) not capable of being expressed exactly as a ratio of two polynomials.

    6. Algebra. (of an equation) having an unknown under a radical sign or, alternately, with a fractional exponent.
    7. Greek and Latin Prosody. a. of or pertaining to a substitution in the normal metrical pattern, esp. a long syllable for a short one.
    b. noting a foot or meter containing such a substitution.

    1. The definition of irrational from the perspective of those who do not have children:

    1. without the faculty of reason; deprived of reason.
    2. without or deprived of normal mental clarity or sound judgment.
    3. not in accordance with reason; utterly illogical: irrational arguments.
    4. not endowed with the faculty of reason: irrational animals.
    5. Mathematics. a. (of a number) not capable of being expressed exactly as a ratio of two integers.
    b. (of a function) not capable of being expressed exactly as a ratio of two polynomials.

    6. Algebra. (of an equation) having an unknown under a radical sign or, alternately, with a fractional exponent.
    7. Greek and Latin Prosody. a. of or pertaining to a substitution in the normal metrical pattern, esp. a long syllable for a short one.
    b. noting a foot or meter containing such a substitution.

    2. The definition of irrational from the perspective of who do have children:

    1. without the faculty of reason; deprived of reason.
    2. without or deprived of normal mental clarity or sound judgment.
    3. not in accordance with reason; utterly illogical: irrational arguments.
    4. not endowed with the faculty of reason: irrational animals.
    5. Mathematics. a. (of a number) not capable of being expressed exactly as a ratio of two integers.
    b. (of a function) not capable of being expressed exactly as a ratio of two polynomials.

    6. Algebra. (of an equation) having an unknown under a radical sign or, alternately, with a fractional exponent.
    7. Greek and Latin Prosody. a. of or pertaining to a substitution in the normal metrical pattern, esp. a long syllable for a short one.
    b. noting a foot or meter containing such a substitution.


    Conclusion: The definition is unchanged regardless of how many children one has

    So, about that perspective issue...the definitions still look the same to me. How about you?
    Last edited by Singularity; 07-27-09 at 11:08 PM.

  9. #119
    Educator Grateful Heart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Seen
    12-27-09 @ 03:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,010

    Re: 'Missing' Man Sought by Gay Pal Is Willingly Undergoing Counseling, Family Says

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Have a kid and then we can talk about it. Until then, you're talking without the full knowledge of the appropriate perspective.
    This has always been my least favorite poor response on message boards. It's used in all sorts of discussions... 'You can't make an informed opinion on abortion unless you're a woman!' 'You can't understand racism unless you're a minority!' 'You have no business debating gays in the military unless you've served in a combat unit!'

    And on and on it goes...


  10. #120
    User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Lighting Candles for Del
    Last Seen
    09-25-09 @ 09:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    80

    Re: 'Missing' Man Sought by Gay Pal Is Willingly Undergoing Counseling, Family Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Birdzeye View Post
    I'm now old enough to be a grandmother, and I can truthfully say that not once in my life has anyone tried to "recruit" me to become a lesbian. Not once. However, I've turned down my share of unwanted sexual propositions from men.
    Look Birdzeye, I did what I could okay?
    I even tried to send Guerrilla Lesbian Mafia (in training) flirts after you, okay?
    For some reason they failed miserably.
    No toaster oven for them!



    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Have a kid and then we can talk about it. Until then, you're talking without the full knowledge of the appropriate perspective.
    Whilst I'm not a huge fan of the tactic your current opponent is using, (browbeating someone over one particular usage of a word) I do feel an urge to step in here, because I am a parent.

    I've raised or am helping raise 7 kids. (no, not the goat kinds)

    And yeah, had I been in the position of thinking there was a molester working at any of my children's schools, I'd of been up there behaving all kinds of irrationally. <-----chose that word on purpose.

    However....when it comes to matters of curriculum and such, I've always rather believed that unless they are teaching any of my children to rise up against the US, or that 2+2 is suddenly 19 and gravity means things fall in an upwards fashion...
    I've got the option of influencing my child better at home than the teacher does and if I go make a loud noise unto the teacher/principal or school board,it might in fact intrigue my child so much that they'd become more interested in something than I'd otherwise like.

    Plus, since I'd of made a big ol' stink about it---they'd know I didn't like it and try and hide it from me.

    My two cents.

    That and about 5 more dollars and you can have Starbucks!
    Her spirit
    will never die.

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •