Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 250

Thread: Obama: 'Victory' Not Necessarily Goal in Afghanistan

  1. #101
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: Obama: 'Victory' Not Necessarily Goal in Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    You share the naivety of Western Europe's leaders during the raise of Hitler, Laila.
    The rise of Hitler occured because of many factors
    One of the contributing factors was naturally the Treaty of Versailles. If it wasn't so harsh perhaps WW2 would never have occured but that is going off topic and doesn't matter. What has happened, happened.


  2. #102
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Obama: 'Victory' Not Necessarily Goal in Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by tlmorg02 View Post
    You are a little extreme in your assertions sir. I am a Democrat and think that the soldiers are doing a superb job.
    What part of my assertions was specifically extreme? You're a Democrat, but my comments specifically were directed at Liberals regardless of their political affiliations.

    It is a general assertion, but fits about 98.5% of the Liberals who spend a great deal of time ranting in a vacuum of the facts and realities; Disney dude makes my case.

    Quote Originally Posted by tlmorg02 View Post
    However, I think your partisan painting of people's sentiment about Iraq failing has nothing to do with the soldiers abilities to win a ground war, but everything to do with whether the Iraqi people can maintain their freedom and withstand and overcome their own differences, as well as prevent terror groups from hijacking their country. To say that anyone who questions this, questions the U.S. military's abilities is false and strawman, as you well know.
    What portion of my comments was "partisan" specifically?

    Quote Originally Posted by tlmorg02 View Post
    War is an evil necessary, and if I were needed I would go in a minute. This country is based on the principle that the people can preserve their own freedom and govern themselves.
    So what you are saying is that we are in agreement therefore it begs the question, what is the point of your response to my comments to Laila, a rabid uninformed Liberal who makes farcical comments in a vacuum of reality and the facts?

    Quote Originally Posted by tlmorg02 View Post
    ....and for Republicans to insinuate that they have such a thing cornered in ludicrous, at best.
    I would love to see where MY statements or any Republicans have made this claim. Of course you will not find it, but it apparently is your OPINION and your PERCEPTIONS which I assure you are false and not supported by facts.


  3. #103
    Libertarian socialist

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Staffs, England
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 07:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,730

    Re: Obama: 'Victory' Not Necessarily Goal in Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    I don't think we should be in there.
    Do we need soldiers to build buildings? I thought we needed builders.
    But now we are there, might as well fund schools
    Problem being the buildings wont be much good if those teaching in them will be skinned alive for teaching girls how to read.

  4. #104
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,217

    Re: Obama: 'Victory' Not Necessarily Goal in Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    The rise of Hitler occured because of many factors
    One of the contributing factors was naturally the Treaty of Versailles. If it wasn't so harsh perhaps WW2 would never have occured but that is going off topic and doesn't matter. What has happened, happened.
    I didn't ask for the reasons for the rise of Hitler.
    You have just demonstrated the same naivety that was coming from Western Europe's leaders during Hitler's time.
    "That's okay, we're safe from him, it's Poland's problem not ours".
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

  5. #105
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: Obama: 'Victory' Not Necessarily Goal in Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Red_Dave View Post
    Yeah but the buildings wont be much good if those teaching in them will be skinned alive for teaching girls how to read.
    They will be skinned alive and honor killed anyway. Whether our soldiers are there or not
    You cannot change centuries of mentality and a thinking like that in a matter of years


  6. #106
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: Obama: 'Victory' Not Necessarily Goal in Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    "That's okay, we're safe from him, it's Poland's problem not ours".
    Afghanistan did not harm us one bit. It harmed US. Difference. Very big difference.
    UK got involved even tho it posed no direct threat to us. 7/7 occured after Iraq and Afghanistan before anyone jumps on that for a example and was homegrown not imported


  7. #107
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Obama: 'Victory' Not Necessarily Goal in Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Nixon View Post
    Afghanistan's cultural, ethnic and tribal divides mean that it will never have a fully functional, accepted central government. They'd have to unite and defeat all the separate tribal forces and thats proved quite difficult, almost ridiculously so, in the past. Even if you DO beat them you have to comprehend the fact the most Afghans have tribal and not national loyalities. The PDPA tried and failed and they had waaaay more manpower.
    So the solution would be to do what? Ignore the issue and just pull out and run? How did that work for us while Clinton was in charge?

    The fascinating thing about such arguments is that they presume that the ONLY solution is to retreat within our borders and mind our own business. It didn't work in WWI, it didn't work in WWII, it didn't work in Korea and it didn't work pre-911. So what historic facts suggest that it will work now?

    The notion that the United States and her allies should not do anything to implement change in regimes that are a threat to our citizens for fanatical reasons is profoundly naive and will only lead to more innocent deaths.

    This is where I was in 100% agreement with George Bush; I would rather have our military fighting these fanatical murderers in their own countries than try to prevent them from blowing up citizens here in our own country. And if the nations these fanatics reside in wont do anything with our help, then we should do it ourselves with regime change.

    Obama's naive claims pre-election suggested that they will earn the worlds respect and by TALKING, deal with our enemies. So far Iran has laughed at Obama and claimed he was at fault for their recent protests and Hillary was called a school marm by North Korea.

    Our enemies are laughing at us because they know that the Liberal Democrats currently in charge are spineless morons who have already declared they are not going to use force.


  8. #108
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,217

    Re: Obama: 'Victory' Not Necessarily Goal in Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    Afghanistan did not harm us one bit. It harmed US. Difference. Very big difference.
    UK got involved even tho it posed no direct threat to us. 7/7 occured after Iraq and Afghanistan before anyone jumps on that for a example and was homegrown not imported
    The point that a lot of naive individuals just like you Laila do not understand is that terror spares nobody.
    I'm afraid you just don't get it and that I'm speaking to the rocks and stones here, so I'll just be glad that the government of your nation takes the complete opposite stance from you on this subject.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

  9. #109
    Guru
    tlmorg02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Louisville, Ky
    Last Seen
    07-23-15 @ 11:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,347

    Re: Obama: 'Victory' Not Necessarily Goal in Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    What part of my assertions was specifically extreme? You're a Democrat, but my comments specifically were directed at Liberals regardless of their political affiliations.

    It is a general assertion, but fits about 98.5% of the Liberals who spend a great deal of time ranting in a vacuum of the facts and realities; Disney dude makes my case.



    What portion of my comments was "partisan" specifically?



    So what you are saying is that we are in agreement therefore it begs the question, what is the point of your response to my comments to Laila, a rabid uninformed Liberal who makes farcical comments in a vacuum of reality and the facts?



    I would love to see where MY statements or any Republicans have made this claim. Of course you will not find it, but it apparently is your OPINION and your PERCEPTIONS which I assure you are false and not supported by facts.

    How can you possibly make a blanket assertion that 98.5% of Liberals fit your given description, without a shred of evidence, other than your opinion, and then act as if I offended you?

    As to the last claim you make, did I say that it was claimed? No, I said that in reading the posts on this forum on the subject, most conservatives act as though they are the only ones who understand what is needed to protect this country, and that those on the other end of the political spectrum are naive, fairy people who would be lost if it were not for the conservatives protecting this country. I say that such assertions are mere partisan rhetoric with no proof whatsoever to back it up.

    Regardless, I am not here to argue who is best fit to protect this nation. Whether it be with the sword or negotiation and alliances, I feel that all views of every side are relevant, as that is the only way in this nation we can percieve the full picture, rather than a view through colored lenses of one party over the other. Iraq is no exception. Many feel that it never should have happened, and I am sure you will even admit there were mistakes made that we should learn from. In the end we should all pull together and focus on how to ensure that this endeavor succeed, for nothing could fight terror better, than a functional democracy in a region rid with tyranny.
    Last edited by tlmorg02; 07-24-09 at 02:04 PM.

  10. #110
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: Obama: 'Victory' Not Necessarily Goal in Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    The point that a lot of naive individuals just like you Laila do not understand is that terror spares nobody.
    I'm afraid you just don't get it and that I'm speaking to the rocks and stones here, so I'll just be glad that the government of your nation takes the complete opposite stance from you on this subject.


    .....

    For now the Government does.
    Brown will not always be in power and the polls show people already want the same thing i do. How long can a Government last against public opinion with a election in less than a year?

    Terror spares Germany just fine, and France and the other 20 other European countries. Omg, it is just a coincidence those are the countries that are not in Iraq and Afghanistan. I guess it was just mere chance we get blown up by people quoting Iraq and foreign policy as the reason


Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •