Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 92

Thread: Obama Defends Criticism of Cambridge Police in Arrest of Gates

  1. #81
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Obama Defends Criticism of Cambridge Police in Arrest of Gates

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    Why would the police department also make this statement?

    Things that make you go "hmmmm."
    Note what the spokeswoman said:
    "I think both parties were wrong. Our position is race did not play a factor."
    Like most spokespeople, she was speaking extemporaneously and probably flubbed the lines. As purely a public relations matter, she would have been on more solid ground if she had just stuck with the last sentence "Our position is race did not play a factor." Admitting any wrongdoing by Crowley is opening the door for a lawsuit. Given that the commissioner is backing Crowley, paving the way for litigation is a bad idea.

    My personal take on that line is that she was trying to appear evenhanded and sympathetic to Gates, and flubbed it.

    (Kinda like Gibbs pointing out that the union for the Cambridge PD backed McCain, but instead of putting the whole foot in the mouth she just put in two toes).

  2. #82
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,466

    Re: Obama Defends Criticism of Cambridge Police in Arrest of Gates

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    Note what the spokeswoman said:
    Like most spokespeople, she was speaking extemporaneously and probably flubbed the lines. As purely a public relations matter, she would have been on more solid ground if she had just stuck with the last sentence "Our position is race did not play a factor." Admitting any wrongdoing by Crowley is opening the door for a lawsuit. Given that the commissioner is backing Crowley, paving the way for litigation is a bad idea.

    My personal take on that line is that she was trying to appear evenhanded and sympathetic to Gates, and flubbed it.

    (Kinda like Gibbs pointing out that the union for the Cambridge PD backed McCain, but instead of putting the whole foot in the mouth she just put in two toes).
    So in other words, your answer is "she messed up what she was supposed to say."

    Lol...okay.
    *insert profound statement here*

  3. #83
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Obama Defends Criticism of Cambridge Police in Arrest of Gates

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    So in other words, your answer is "she messed up what she was supposed to say."

    Lol...okay.
    Think about it. If Crowley was wrong Gates has a lawsuit. What spokeswoman worth her salt is going to hand Gates a cause of action when her boss is sticking up for Crowley? Even if Haas weren't sticking up for Crowley, saying that Crowley was wrong is a bad PR move, because it gives Gates a cause of action for a lawsuit.

    Given the circumstances, if you ran the Cambridge PD, would you want her saying "both sides were wrong"? Or just "Our position is that race was not a factor."?

  4. #84
    Educating the Ignorant
    zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:04 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,484
    Blog Entries
    12

    Re: Obama Surprised by Controversy Over Remark About Arrest of Black Scholar

    Quote Originally Posted by WillRockwell View Post
    Obama spoke for an hour without teleprompters, answering questions on health care that would have baffled George Bush. In responding to the question about Gates, Obama rose to the defense of a friend. He lost his cool. It was a mistake for him to make a judgement.
    Translation: Obama is riled by race just as his mentor Rev. Wright is.
    He is the president, called into question the judgment of others repeatedly, and in this instance (like so many others) showed he lacks it desperately himself.

    It would have been so simple to keep mouth shut and wait for the facts to roll in. But no, the Resident of the United States couldn't show a little discipline and attacked an officer and police department.

    Now that's Change.
    Or is it Hope?
    Unity anyone?

    How about amateur hour.

    ROTFLMAO... his rantings about health care would be great comedy if the matter weren't so serious. Is that a blue or red pill?

    .
    The Clintons are what happens...
    when you have NO MORAL COMPASS.

  5. #85
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New Orleans
    Last Seen
    05-06-11 @ 07:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,082

    Re: Obama Surprised by Controversy Over Remark About Arrest of Black Scholar

    Quote Originally Posted by sam_w View Post
    Funny how the libertarians and the libertarian wing of the GOP are so silent about a guy who gets arrested in his own house. Oh forgot, they can use this to play the race card to stir up the inbreds down in Appalachia.
    Wow! We're talking about racism and you make an incredibly bigoted comment about tens of millions of people because they live in a certain part of the United States.

    Liberals used to be the champions of the working poor. Now they're elitist and hateful and nasty. Sad.

  6. #86
    User bella-day's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-01-09 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    12

    Re: Obama Surprised by Controversy Over Remark About Arrest of Black Scholar

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    The man was falsely accused and treated poorly by the police, he had every right to be angry and every right to speak out.

    The "crime" that he commited here was nothing more than "contempt of cop".
    The cop should have simply admitted his mistake and walked away. Instead his ego got the best of him and he asked the man to step outside simply for the purpose of arresting him.

    Bad cops should never be supported....it only encourages more bad cop behavior...and diminishes the service of the good officers that serve our communities daily.
    The neighbors had reported a break-in in progress. Officer Crowley was simply doing his job.

    Maybe Gates was frustrated that the door was jammed as a result of the previous break-in, maybe he was tired from his trip, or it could be that he's a race baiting jerk.

    Whatever his reason of excuse is...he had no business treating officer Crowley as if he was doing anything other than making sure the person who was in his home had a right to be in his home.

    BTW, I carry a college ID myself. They do not list your home address on them. That was just a ploy to try to show the officer how important he was...just another thing on the list of stupid moves made by this self important victim of the hour.

    Crowley did not behave the way a bad cop behaves. But Gates had no problem demonstrating how a jackass behaves.

    Has anyone taken the time to note the statements made by Crowley's partner? Or is that to be ignored because it just doesn't jive with Obama's idiotic statement...and makes Gates look like the race baiting drama queen he really is?

  7. #87
    Educating the Ignorant
    zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:04 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,484
    Blog Entries
    12

    Re: Obama Surprised by Controversy Over Remark About Arrest of Black Scholar

    Quote Originally Posted by bella-day View Post
    The neighbors had reported a break-in in progress. Officer Crowley was simply doing his job.

    Maybe Gates was frustrated that the door was jammed as a result of the previous break-in, maybe he was tired from his trip, or it could be that he's a race baiting jerk.

    Whatever his reason of excuse is...he had no business treating officer Crowley as if he was doing anything other than making sure the person who was in his home had a right to be in his home.

    BTW, I carry a college ID myself. They do not list your home address on them. That was just a ploy to try to show the officer how important he was...just another thing on the list of stupid moves made by this self important victim of the hour.

    Crowley did not behave the way a bad cop behaves. But Gates had no problem demonstrating how a jackass behaves.

    Has anyone taken the time to note the statements made by Crowley's partner? Or is that to be ignored because it just doesn't jive with Obama's idiotic statement...and makes Gates look like the race baiting drama queen he really is?
    My guess is he's a product of the Obama/Sharpton/Wright/Jackson/Holder school of race relations and feels like one of the anointed ones, one of the untouchables.

    The ones who will bring about unity in America.

    .
    The Clintons are what happens...
    when you have NO MORAL COMPASS.

  8. #88
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,466

    Re: Obama Defends Criticism of Cambridge Police in Arrest of Gates

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    Think about it. If Crowley was wrong Gates has a lawsuit. What spokeswoman worth her salt is going to hand Gates a cause of action when her boss is sticking up for Crowley? Even if Haas weren't sticking up for Crowley, saying that Crowley was wrong is a bad PR move, because it gives Gates a cause of action for a lawsuit.

    Given the circumstances, if you ran the Cambridge PD, would you want her saying "both sides were wrong"? Or just "Our position is that race was not a factor."?
    CL, I understand that. My point is that the department admitted they were wrong. In more ways than one in that statement. She didn't flub her lines, she gave a statement to the media based upon conclusions the administration had already reached internally. But I agree, from a liability stand point specific to this case, she probably shouldn't have said those things.

    However, from a public trust perspective, she did the correct thing. Law enforcement agencies have got to take steps to break the public's perception of the thin blue line.

    But, to reiterate...I fully understand and appreciate your point.
    *insert profound statement here*

  9. #89
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,466

    Re: Obama Surprised by Controversy Over Remark About Arrest of Black Scholar

    Quote Originally Posted by bella-day View Post
    Crowley did not behave the way a bad cop behaves. But Gates had no problem demonstrating how a jackass behaves.
    No, Crowley behaved the way a pissed off, aggravated cop behaves when he's trying to teach an asshole a lesson.

    Has anyone taken the time to note the statements made by Crowley's partner? Or is that to be ignored because it just doesn't jive with Obama's idiotic statement...and makes Gates look like the race baiting drama queen he really is?
    There was an entire thread dedicated to the officers comments. They are really not all that important because they simply reinforce Crowley's report. I have no issue with Crowley's description of Gates' behavior. I don't think Crowley lied. What Crowley did however was make a bad arrest. As has been explained numerous times in multiple threads, Crowley did a poor job of making his case. He reached way too far in order to take Gates to jail.

    Was Gates a jerk? Without a doubt. I believe Crowley was doing his job just fine up until he decided to arrest Gates on a trumped up charge.

    Cops are not out on the street to "teach people lessons." They are out on the street to enforce the laws of their jurisdiction. You arrest people when they actually commit a crime. Part of the process is documenting how the offender actually commits the crime and against who. Crowley failed in that regard.

    I'm sure Crowley is a fine cop, he just ****ed up in this case.
    *insert profound statement here*

  10. #90
    User bella-day's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-01-09 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    12

    Re: Obama Surprised by Controversy Over Remark About Arrest of Black Scholar

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    No, Crowley behaved the way a pissed off, aggravated cop behaves when he's trying to teach an asshole a lesson.


    There was an entire thread dedicated to the officers comments. They are really not all that important because they simply reinforce Crowley's report. I have no issue with Crowley's description of Gates' behavior. I don't think Crowley lied. What Crowley did however was make a bad arrest. As has been explained numerous times in multiple threads, Crowley did a poor job of making his case. He reached way too far in order to take Gates to jail.

    Was Gates a jerk? Without a doubt. I believe Crowley was doing his job just fine up until he decided to arrest Gates on a trumped up charge.

    Cops are not out on the street to "teach people lessons." They are out on the street to enforce the laws of their jurisdiction. You arrest people when they actually commit a crime. Part of the process is documenting how the offender actually commits the crime and against who. Crowley failed in that regard.

    I'm sure Crowley is a fine cop, he just ****ed up in this case.
    Sorry, new to the forum. I didn't do a search of all threads that have been posted prior to my arrival before commenting.

    That would be a rather silly expectation of newcomers anyway.

    If you feel Crowley failed in some regard...I say run with it. Maybe he overreacted; maybe he did not. I feel the reason the prosecutor decided to kick the charges out is not because they weren't unprovable...he most likely did not want to deal with the press and the screaming idiot that couldn't claim racism quick enough.

    One thing about it Gates did succeed in making a complete ass of himself...Obama tossed the race card without having enough information to make a call but jumped on the chance to spew a little bigotry all his own while wagging his finger and lecturing the little people once again. He succeeded in showing everyone what an ass he can be...not to mention he doesn't have the cajones it takes to give a decent apology for the public knee jerk.

    His comments were far from Presidential but then what else can be expected of the fool at this point?

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •