Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 92

Thread: Obama Defends Criticism of Cambridge Police in Arrest of Gates

  1. #41
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Obama Surprised by Controversy Over Remark About Arrest of Black Scholar

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    I don't doubt that either version is without spin. The reality though is...no crime had been committed. Even if you accept the fact that Gates was angry and saying horrible things to the cop....short of an assault or a threat, no crime was committed and the cop should have left. Instead, his arrogance got in the way and he escalated the situation and then attempted to use his "unlimited power" to arrest for a non-crime.
    My apologies, I didn't realize we were living in your fantasy world where disorderly conduct is not a violation.

    Surprisingly, the fact that you think a law is stupid doesn't make it any less of a law.

    Thank god the DA recognized this.
    As a side note, I always find it hilarious when far-lefties are so quick to scream about how Republicans like Bush and Cheney are so well connected that they just pull the strings to get things their way, but are willfully ignorant to the fact that other people do the same goddamn thing.

    If you think that the DA's decision to drop these charges had anything to do with what actually happened and was not based 100% on who it happened too, you're naive.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  2. #42
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    Re: Obama Surprised by Controversy Over Remark About Arrest of Black Scholar

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    Dude, I've been jacked up by cops so many times it's not funny. I've been stopped for doing things like walking down the street, riding my bicycle at 2AM, going to the local IHOP in the middle of the night for apple pie and coffee, or just down to the store to get something to eat. One time I got thrown up against a wall and patted down because some creepazoid was giving me grief at an auction, so as I was leaving I said some unpleasant things about him. Apparently the cop thought I was trying to start a fight (that whole scene was a joke because when the cop patted me down he completely missed the lockblade knife in my back pocket)

    I've been asked a lot of dumb questions ("Why are you walking down this road?" Answer: "my house is back there and the store's over there".) by cops, but I've never been accused of anything before being asked those dumb questions by cops.

    Gates put his mouth in full retard and got a trip to the police station for his trouble. I don't have much use for cops, but I can't see what Gates hoped to accomplish by putting his mouth in full retard that way.

    Then I respect what you say because obviously you have some experience. But sadly, you have been "beaten" psychologically into submission that when you are confronted with a cop "keep you mouth shut". It shouldn't have to be that way. The public should not have to live in fear of thugs with a badge that believe that the uniform entitles them to intimidate and demand respect and submission to their unlimited authority.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  3. #43
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    Re: Obama Surprised by Controversy Over Remark About Arrest of Black Scholar

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    My apologies, I didn't realize we were living in your fantasy world where disorderly conduct is not a violation.

    Surprisingly, the fact that you think a law is stupid doesn't make it any less of a law.



    As a side note, I always find it hilarious when far-lefties are so quick to scream about how Republicans like Bush and Cheney are so well connected that they just pull the strings to get things their way, but are willfully ignorant to the fact that other people do the same goddamn thing.

    If you think that the DA's decision to drop these charges had anything to do with what actually happened and was not based 100% on who it happened too, you're naive.
    You need to study the law. Speaking back to a cop does not rise to the level of disorderly conduct.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  4. #44
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Obama Surprised by Controversy Over Remark About Arrest of Black Scholar

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    What planet are you on. "If you've got something more to say....step outside"...isn't calling someone outside?
    Considering how there was nothing else Gates needed to say, it's not. Gates was not required to go outside, and he wasn't dragged out kicking and screaming by Crowley. He chose to be stupid enough to treat Crowley's words as the challenge some drunk makes in a bar when he's hoping to impress the ladies, and then he chose to be stupid enough to take up that challenge.

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    The cop is supposed to be a professional....not a thug. He escalated the situation because his arrogance wouldn't lend him to admit he made a mistake and apologize.
    Apologize for what? For investigating a report of a break-in? As often as folks (including me) rail on the cops for not doing their job, you want to get on Crowley's case for doing his?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Unlike you, I don't accept Crowley or any other cops report as Gospel. Cops lie just like any other citizen. You have to read through the lines whether they are a citizen or a cop.
    If you have factual information to impeach Crowley's and Figueroa's reports, let's have it. If that's not the way the arrest went down, and you can back it up, let's have it.

    Take your time with the contradictory evidence.....I can wait.

  5. #45
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Obama Surprised by Controversy Over Remark About Arrest of Black Scholar

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    You need to study the law. Speaking back to a cop does not rise to the level of disorderly conduct.
    Yelling that the cop is a racist out in public does.

  6. #46
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Obama Surprised by Controversy Over Remark About Arrest of Black Scholar

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    You need to study the law. Speaking back to a cop does not rise to the level of disorderly conduct.
    My bad dude, I forgot that you're an expert on the ins and outs of MA disorderly conduct laws.

    What was I thinking, daring to point out that you don't seem to know what the **** you're talking about. I mean, you said it plain and simple - the cop is wrong.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  7. #47
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Obama Surprised by Controversy Over Remark About Arrest of Black Scholar

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Then I respect what you say because obviously you have some experience. But sadly, you have been "beaten" psychologically into submission that when you are confronted with a cop "keep you mouth shut". It shouldn't have to be that way. The public should not have to live in fear of thugs with a badge that believe that the uniform entitles them to intimidate and demand respect and submission to their unlimited authority.


    Yeah, I'm a real submissive kinda guy.....NOT.

    I don't cower.....but I don't go full retard in a cop's face either. When dealing with the cops, I am a firm believer in exercising my right to remain silent. If Gates had done the same thing, he'd have avoided the nickel bracelet set.

  8. #48
    Traditional
    hiswoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Cypress, TX
    Last Seen
    04-04-13 @ 05:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,051
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Obama Surprised by Controversy Over Remark About Arrest of Black Scholar

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    May be true...but its not a crime. And the cop should have had the professionalism to know that. Unfortunately, there are those in our community that believe that people should just "shut up" and take it when cops engage in abusive behavior. We are taught to cower in submission to their unlimited authority. Until they are placed in check, this pattern will continue.
    Did Gates's behavior absolutely require that he be taken into custody? No, but anybody with half a brain knows you don't follow a cop outside (especially one that is in the process of leaving) while screaming and calling him/her names. Further, anyone with a modicum of self-respect and maturity doesn't resort to playing the race card when faced with the consequences of their moronic behavior. This was not a case of racial profiling. If Gates felt that the officer's actions were inappropriate, he should have dealt with it as an adult rather than disturbing his neighbors by throwing a public tantrum.


  9. #49
    Educator sam_w's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    09-24-09 @ 04:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    724

    Re: Obama Surprised by Controversy Over Remark About Arrest of Black Scholar

    Quote Originally Posted by hiswoman View Post
    Did Gates's behavior absolutely require that he be taken into custody? No, but anybody with half a brain knows you don't follow a cop outside (especially one that is in the process of leaving) while screaming and calling him/her names. Further, anyone with a modicum of self-respect and maturity doesn't resort to playing the race card when faced with the consequences of their moronic behavior. This was not a case of racial profiling. If Gates felt that the officer's actions were inappropriate, he should have dealt with it as an adult rather than disturbing his neighbors by throwing a public tantrum.

    You have a point that had Gates acted more like an adult, everything would be fine and dandy. But I also have to consider that the officer could have just as easily been an adult and walked away. Gates should have controlled his temper, the officer should have walked away, and Obama should have just punted the question.

  10. #50
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    07-27-09 @ 08:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    740

    Re: Obama Defends Criticism of Cambridge Police in Arrest of Gates

    Gates is a loud black man with a persecution complex.




Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •